Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Kindle Dx Graphite First Impressions

Sorry I can't take pics right now, i don't have a camera with me at work (a lifeguard at an empty pool) I forgot to grab it when I took my lunch break and drove home at breakneck speed.

On to my first impressions.

It came loaded with 2.5.5.... didn't even know there WAS a 2.5.5, last I had heard of was 2.5.4.... 2.5.5 doesn't seem to do anything different but I haven't explored so much yet because I'm too busy marveling at...

The screen! OMG the screen! When they said 50% better contrast, they meant it. On the e-ink manufacturers website for the new screen, PEarl, they compared the last generation Viziplex to a newspaper, and Pearl to a book, and they were very right. I've seen a cople pictures of peoples who got theirs before me and I have to say that the pictures really don't do them justice. the screen isn't light grey, it's WHITE.

And no, that's not because of the graphite casing, though i'm sure it helps. The screen is WHITE! DARK, BLACK letters on white background. I could die happy.

Since that's most everything people want to know about, I only have a few comments on everything else. The whole device seems very responsive, very snappy. I don't have my old DX to compare so I can't tell you if it is thinner than the last generation, but it does feel about the same weight.

If you are unhappy with your Kindle (or any other e-reader for that matter) e-ink screen, feel that the contrast could be better... this solves it, I swear.

If you have any questions I'll be here to ask.... it's not like anyone swims in this pool.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
When you say it's "snappy", do you mean that the page turns are faster? That would definitely be a plus point.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
When you say it's "snappy", do you mean that the page turns are faster? That would definitely be a plus point.
Yes, it seems quicker to me.

When I get home ill have to check my K2 for comparison... although my K2 is the old US Sprint model so I don't know if there will be any differences there
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Have you tried accessing Wikipedia or any other website? How's the display?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I'm somewhat skeptical until there are more pictures of the new Graphite Kindle DX, the photo posted by avinatbezeq in the other thread does show the graphite font to be more clearer/darker though, but the screen looks somewhat similar.

Source: http://ireaderreview.com/about/kindl...e-dx-2-photos/ originally posted by avinatbezeq

Last edited by Lawcheehung; 07-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist

@ Poohbear, back at you in a sec.

@ LAwcheehung,

I got worried when I saw those pictures this morning but really, the pictures don't do it justice. If the display was anything that similar to the last iteration, I'd be really mad right now... but i'm elated. It's an order of magnitude better, you just have to see one in person.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
rockjian
rockjian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader
Anarel, thanks for the comments. I am thinking about ordering one now.
rockjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Anarel
Evangelist

@ Poohbear,

The display is good. I'm on the Amazon Kindle Customer discussions right now, all is well. Wikipedia's good, too. The web browsing is working at a good speed- I think the 2.5 update sped it up more, that I noticed on my K2 and old Kdx.... It's not breakneck speed by any means, but it will get the job done fast enough that you won't be sitting there waiting, waiting, watching that circle in the upper left hand corner of the screen, waiting.... dyingg......

Sorry if that's not too precise.... I could time things if you would prefer it?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
@ Poohbear,

The display is good. I'm on the Amazon Kindle Customer discussions right now, all is well. Wikipedia's good, too. The web browsing is working at a good speed- I think the 2.5 update sped it up more, that I noticed on my K2 and old Kdx.... It's not breakneck speed by any means, but it will get the job done fast enough that you won't be sitting there waiting, waiting, watching that circle in the upper left hand corner of the screen, waiting.... dyingg......

Sorry if that's not too precise.... I could time things if you would prefer it?
No need to time it - sounds good. Mine comes tomorrow! I had noticed a huge improvement in browser speed between the K2-US and the DX-US when it was first launched -- and was hoping for another boost!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What's the beginning of the S/N like? Still B005?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-07-2010 at 07:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Anarel
Evangelist

Oh, no O_O

D008.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
damn! I had forgotten that they left any buttons off of the left side!!!! no sale here!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
I have a picture in my mind of an executive suite of the Amazon marketing team. In that picture, they're chuckling to themselves that they can somehow con people into thinking they've unleashed a new revolutionary product by merely switching the colour of the DX shell. I own a DX, nd just can't see the justification in going for the DXG. It just isn't enough I'm afraid. It's a joke.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
I have a picture in my mind of an executive suite of the Amazon marketing team. In that picture, they're chuckling to themselves that they can somehow con people into thinking they've unleashed a new revolutionary product by merely switching the colour of the DX shell. I own a DX, nd just can't see the justification in going for the DXG. It just isn't enough I'm afraid. It's a joke.

It's not JUST the case, though, you're forgetting. It's a new screen technology.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
It's not JUST the case, though, you're forgetting. It's a new screen technology.
well, the price difference between the new and old dx is only $20

with the better contrast and no apparent "loss" from the old one, i'd say $20 is money well spent
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote