Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question for Aussie Users: Getting a sony prs

Hi all,

I'm planning on purchasing a Sony PRS-505 and was wondering how other fellow Australians went about getting one, (seeing as they're not physically sold here)?

I am planning to get one through Amazon.com, but maybe there's better alternatives out there that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,
Mk.
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
Have you considered alternatives, try this site, these are available for purchase in Melbourne.http://www.centralbookservices.com/ebookreader.asp
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I believe some have bought from B&H Photo Video quite happily (B&H is fairly well known, particularly among the photography crowd, and has a good reputation). I don't know how competitive their prices are with Amazon though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 AM   #4
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi I got my Sony new from ebay at a really good price. No complaints. I love it.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I got mine online through B&H in the United States, and was very happy with their service.

Except....this Christmas their Sydney representatives posted a large and bulky paper catalogue to my address which clogged up my letterbox (I was overseas at Christmas). I've written to the Sydney branch telling them not to do that again.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Thanks all for the responses... I've had a quick look over at B&H and the prices are pretty much the same compared to amazon. I'm yet to check out ebay.

Thanks roytravis for your suggestion. Now I'm completely torn as to what to get . I've been researching a lot of the other readers all day yesterday... and basically I've narrowed it down to the Cybook Gen3 or the Sony 505. From the limited research I've done, those two models were what a lot of first time buyers were stuck between. I'm confident I'm going to be happy with whatever I choose, but I'm really stuck as to which way to go.

I'm "relatively" confident in being able to play around with formats/drms/etc, so that is not so much an issue... although the mobi format support of the Cybook would make life easier... plus the ability to change to a wider range of font sizes and slightly quicker page turning means I'm kinda leaning towards the Cybook now. However my concern is that the Sony 505 is of better "workmanship" and quality than the Cybook... though I have no evidence whatsoever to support that claim. Plus it just plain looks sexier.

Have any of you guys played with both? Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
If you are in Melbourne I would suggest giving Christine a call on 03 92107788. I was able to see all of the models in her office, that is Cybook, Iliad and Hanlin.
I had a preference for a Cybook and came away with a HanLin which I am very happy with
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, Mukoan. I am not in Australia, and have neither of the readers, but want to welcome you to mobileread anyway!

Enjoy....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

Thanks desertgrandma... this is a great community here... so much info! Looking forward to being a long term member...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I bought mine from a Sydney-based ebay shop. I thought there was less chance of damage than being sent from the US but a lot of other have bought from US based ebay shops or BH photo.
If Sony ever get their act together you may even be able to buy one here in OZ by the End of the year
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I bought both my Readers off eBay. They came promptly and in perfect condition but I guess these factors depend on the seller. I also saved around $20 on B&H's prices at the time.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One thing to consider: if you buy a Sony from the US you will have effectively no warranty support. If you buy a machine which is available world-wide, or one which is sold locally, you will have a warranty. These are expensive devices which, unfortunately, do fail on occasions, so it's something to bear in mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #13
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

ahhh... I look back on this thread in nostalgic fondness... getting close to a year on and I'm still stoked with my sony prs 505... so many books to read... so little time...