Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
DianaQ
DianaQ began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Will you upgrade from Bebook to Bebook2?

Hello,

I posted a while back about getting an ereader. I live in a military base in Japan and there were a lot of factors involved in my process of elimination.

I've decided to go with the Bebook. But I won't be able to purchase it until the end of the summer. I know that there's a Bebook 2 in the making and that it'll probably be released this year.

So I would like to hear from those who already have a Bebook, if they plan to go for the next version or if they would advise against it.
Also, if you have a different reader and are planning on jumpting onto the Bebook2.

Thank you for your input!
DianaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't have a bebook yet, but I am contemplating buying the BeBook 2. Mainly because of its touchscreen.

The BeBook1 has as major advantage that you can exchange the battery yourself, while the BeBook2 has a built-in battery.

Both will be able to support wifi, but for the BeBook1 you'll need a wifi SD card.

Choices, choices, choices....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Built-in battery is very very bad for two reasons:
- first, the battery in the Bebook 1 is so horrible that on their official forum many people recommend to change it and buy a Nokia one to solve all kinds of problems
- second: what if that company goes bankrupt? How much will they make you pay to change the battery if they keep on putting crappy ones inside and you want a Nokia one? And after some years if you want a new battery inside when the first one gets old and discharges too quickly, renders the Bebook 2 unstable? If you want to resell your Bebook 2, will people buy it when they know they cannot change the battery themselves?
Any device you buy should be as open and practical as possible. Free open source software, replaceable battery,...
Frankly, I do not understand the companies who make it impossible to change the battery. It does not make any sense.
For example some people in the Iliad forum who know how to use a soldering iron changed the two soldered batteries and more than tripled the autonomy of their device! Why did not Irex let people easily do it themselves? The mediocre autonomy of their readers has been considered a major flaw by many people, either those contemplating buying it, or those who did.

The other problem of the Bebook 2 is that they chose a touchscreen technology that lets you use your fingers, but the result is a less contrasty and less clear screen. Touchscreen technology that only lets you use a special pen is better.
On the other hand holding that pen all the time, or putting it back in place and taking it out often can be bothersome.
Technology is not yet perfect, there is no ideal reader, so choosing the right reader is not easy.

Last but not least, you can hope that the Bebook 2 will be faster and offer more greys, but that is not proven. Those would be important pluses.

It will also have a built-in web browser, which will be very helpful to read lots of sites offline.

I am hesitating to get the Bebook 2 myself. It will depend on the pictures/videos of the screen in action as used by real people in real conditions (no fraudulent photoshopped pure white pictures of the screen like on their site). But it is more likely that I look for a competitor offering a model with a replaceable battery.

Last edited by Lbooker; 06-13-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Hanlin (or some OEM version of it) is the device I see at the moment as my next reader once I decide to upgrade my Sony reader PRS 500.

One of the main reasons is the OpenInkpot firmware.

There are very exciting news about the new 5" model.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
I am interested to know where you found out that the BeBook 2 has a built in battery. This is the first time I have heard that. If true then I would agree it is worrying. Personally, I am more than happy with my BeBook 1. It does everything I want it to, which is read books.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I am interested to know where you found out that the BeBook 2 has a built in battery. This is the first time I have heard that. If true then I would agree it is worrying. Personally, I am more than happy with my BeBook 1. It does everything I want it to, which is read books.
The CEO of Endless Ideas told me so during the CeBIT this year, when I mentioned that I liked the exchangeable battery of the BeBook1.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
I've owned a V3 (BeBook) for about a year; I won't be upgrading. The benefits aren't compelling enough at present. The BeBook is good enough as an interim device until something really good comes along.

The BeBook gets you a basic reader which is well supported by OpenInkPot, which I consider to be the most important factor when considering an upgrade in the current market.

I'm hoping the BeBook lasts long enough for me to upgrade to another OI supported device, preferably far enough into the future that design, displays, ergonomics, features and cost have all improved significantly. Because they really need to.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
I totally agree with Lbooker. Built-in battery means a big "No" from me. Usually if you handle your device with care, the device itself will easily outlive the lithium battery. And maybe it's exactly the reason why the manufacturer opts for a built-in battery this time. They simply don't want your device to last that long.

I also agree with rjh. For the time being, I'm happy with my V3. It may be less than perfect and a little slow, but it does a fine job overall.

Last edited by manifestor; 06-14-2009 at 07:49 AM.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
same with me. Built in batterys is the reason why I am against Ipod and Iphone.

Also: I am not sure, but I heard something like: in a few years, they european community will forbid devices with built in batteries. I heard that is, to reduce trash. Many people just throw an item away if the battery is broken. And just think: if the battery on your ipod is out, you can send it in and get a new one ... and what do you think what Apple is gonna do ? Sell it as used ? I don't think so.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:34 AM   #10
DianaQ
DianaQ began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Thank you very much for your input!
I had no idea that the Bebook 2 might not have an easily replaceable battery. This will definitely be a major point in my decision.
DianaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
same with me. Built in batterys is the reason why I am against Ipod and Iphone.

Also: I am not sure, but I heard something like: in a few years, they european community will forbid devices with built in batteries. I heard that is, to reduce trash.
Yes, I heard that too.

A new battery directive, which will be implemented the coming years, states that all electrical equipment must be designed to allow that batteries be easily removed for replacement or removal at the end of product's life.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Nope.
Not-a-chance.
Ergonomics look decent and I might live with the sealed battery, but:
- Touchscreen is a no-go for me; no added-value
- Built-in wireless is indifferent
- Adobe DRM is strong minus
- Apparent lack of Mobipocket support a deal killer
Basically its a Sony clone with wireless.

I'd sooner move to Kindle.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Nope.
Not-a-chance.
Ergonomics look decent and I might live with the sealed battery, but:
- Touchscreen is a no-go for me; no added-value
- Built-in wireless is indifferent
- Adobe DRM is strong minus
- Apparent lack of Mobipocket support a deal killer
Basically its a Sony clone with wireless.

I'd sooner move to Kindle.
Now, just to make sure that I get this right: you can't read Mobi on the Bebook 2 ? If this is true, it would be a big step backwards, not forwards.

Since last autumn I am interested in ebooks and at first I wanted to get a Bebook. When I heard the first news about the Bebook 2, I wanted to wait some more and get that one. But then I found a slightly used Bebook 1 at ebay, at a pretty low price. O.k. after the shipping from the USA, and the german import taxes, I didn't save much money (only about $40) but besides that, I am really happy with my Bebook 1. I am pretty sure that I will not upgrade within the next few years.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The problem is that mobi sold themselves to Amazon, and Amazon now force the competition to choose between mobi and competing file formats.
Basically mobi killed themselves by losing their independence.
It is pretty clear that strategically most independent e-reader makers must move away from mobi and embrace epub.
Hard to blame BeBook about that.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
The problem is that mobi sold themselves to Amazon, and Amazon now force the competition to choose between mobi and competing file formats.
Basically mobi killed themselves by losing their independence.
It is pretty clear that strategically most independent e-reader makers must move away from mobi and embrace epub.
Hard to blame BeBook about that.
Yes, I agree with this... On the other hand, it's always good to move to a more open format like epub. Especially if more and more devices are supporting it.