Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Many Books download problem

I am trying to download an HTML file from Many Books. When I try to extract the file it says that "Windows (I have XP) has blocked access to these files to help protect your computer". I'm told that if I save the file, then go to properties and click on unblock that I can open the file. However, although I try this I am still blocked from doing the extraction.

Any advice from the computer literate? I did manage to download it in mobi, but I don't really want that format, and I should be able to figure this out!

Thank you!!
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
well its probably your antivirus that is blocking it, try disabling it and try again. though i wouldnt do this until you post the link to the book here for me or someone else to check that it is virus free, as it very well could include a virus

or try extracting using 7zip(freeware), or winrar(shareware)

Last edited by Andybaby; 04-12-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Thanks for your reply. I do get the message with any book from manybooks.net. Presumably they are virus free? Anyway, disabling my antivirus doesn't help. I've been googling the problem and it looks like your idea to use an extraction utility is my best bet. I'll give it a try.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Jane A
Addict

Okay, that worked. Thanks again for your input.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if your antivirus is Norton, completely uninstall it and shred the CD. It's nasty and slow and blocks way too much that you actually want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Jane A
Addict

I'd heard that about Norton Anti-Virus. I'm using the free AVG program, which someone suggested I use. The price was right, and hopefully the product is good. What do you recommend?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane A View Post
I'd heard that about Norton Anti-Virus. I'm using the free AVG program, which someone suggested I use. The price was right, and hopefully the product is good. What do you recommend?
I don't run any anti-virus software. Use a router and firefox and don't run attachments that you didn't expect or from people you don't know and you are pretty safe.

IF you are a big downloader of games and stuff, you might want to set up a VM to isolate your main PC from anything that a d/l might contain.

Even better would be to run Linux or OS X... but that is probably not practical for more Windows PC users.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Jane A
Addict

I don't do games at all, and try to be very careful about opening attachments, etc., but I am not all that computer savvy so I would be worried about no anti-virus at all. I don't think I'd be competent enough to fix a big problem on my own!

I'm trying to learn more, and this forum is really interesting being geared towards ebooks, which I'm hooked on. You may be seeing me on the ereader2html thread next when I try to figure that whole process out!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if your antivirus is Norton, completely uninstall it and shred the CD. It's nasty and slow and blocks way too much that you actually want.
Hear Hear! Absolutely true.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Microwaving CDs is much more spectacular than shredding.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Microwaving CDs is much more spectacular than shredding.
Won't that possibly damage the microwave oven?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Won't that possibly damage the microwave oven?
that Myth has been busted. there would have to be a short inside the oven(between the Magnetron, and the Internal housing) for it to happen, which would cause failure of the oven soon anyway.

sit back and Enjoy the show, also, Grapes are supposed to be spectacular too
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote