Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your eReader and gender?
I have a Kindle and I'm a man 9 9.00%
I have a Kindle and I'm a woman 14 14.00%
I have a Cybook and I'm a man 12 12.00%
I have a Cybook and I'm a woman 8 8.00%
I have a Sony and I'm a man 37 37.00%
I have a Sony and I'm a woman 11 11.00%
I have a Iliad and I'm a man 7 7.00%
I have a Iliad and I'm a woman 4 4.00%
I have a Hanlin/Bebook/Walkbook and I'm a man 3 3.00%
I have a Hanlin/Bebook/Walkbook and I'm a woman 0 0%
I have an ereader not listed above and I'm a man 10 10.00%
I have an ereader not listed above and I'm a woman 7 7.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hmm. interesting other trend, so far there are significantly more men respondents than women (where are you all ?? i know there are some around...). so the whole "kindle is for women" posit is being trounced in every possible way, in our little microcosm.
Maybe not. Maybe the survey indicates that men like filling out surveys more than women.

Cheers,
Marc (who loves filling out surveys)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Maybe not. Maybe the survey indicates that men like filling out surveys more than women.

Cheers,
Marc (who loves filling out surveys)
ha right ; that would seem also to be indicated. maybe to confirm, we could do a survey, asking your gender and whether or not you enjoy filling out surveys.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Curiously, I can't find any polls here that ask either of these: What is your gender? What ebook reader do you own? Anyone up for posting these?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
Shut up, idiot.
Please don't be impolite. Whether or not you "approve" of the fact, the term "eReader" is a trademark, owned by Fictionwise, referring to an eBook format. Using the term erroneously to refer to an eBook reader helps nobody and merely engenders confusion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #20
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
51 votes, so far, and only the Kindle has more women (or the other way around). Yet, all e-readers have equal share of man and women, except the Sony, overwhelmingly a "male" device. Also, it seems women hate Bebook/Hanlin.

Gender aside, Sony is MR's favourite e-reader, while there's a fair equilibrium among the other devices.

Talking only about gender, we have considerably more male readers.

Also, it should be noted that these results might be circumstancial and they have a very low correlation value
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 04:27 AM   #21
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't be impolite. Whether or not you "approve" of the fact, the term "eReader" is a trademark, owned by Fictionwise, referring to an eBook format. Using the term erroneously to refer to an eBook reader helps nobody and merely engenders confusion.
Psssssssssshhhhhh.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I thought there are a lot more kindle users around. Maybe they have not noticed the poll?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #23
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I thought there are a lot more kindle users around. Maybe they have not noticed the poll?
You know, I was about to write the very same statement. I know the Sony's been out a year and half and there a lot of old-time Sony owners here but the Kindle's been out 7 months. Surely there can't be a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of Sony to Kindle owners here, can there?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #24
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
You know, I was about to write the very same statement. I know the Sony's been out a year and half and there a lot of old-time Sony owners here but the Kindle's been out 7 months. Surely there can't be a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of Sony to Kindle owners here, can there?
I think the Sony community is simply more established on here. I'd also bet that the type of user who owns a Reader would be more likely to engage in message board discussion and "gadgety" talk, while Kindle users would generally be slightly more representative of the general population.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #25
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
An interesting question to the moderators -- what's the ratio of male to females who have registered at MobileRead? Of the members who have posted at least XXX messages, what's the ratio? Of the members who have posted at least 20 messages in the past month, what's the ratio?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #26
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Shut up, idiot.
Quote:
Please don't be impolite.
Really, someone has to define some rules around here. The correct response to "Shut up, idiot" is not "Please don't be impolite" but "In a rat's arse, scumbag" or something like that, no?
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #27
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
I think the Sony community is simply more established on here. I'd also bet that the type of user who owns a Reader would be more likely to engage in message board discussion and "gadgety" talk, while Kindle users would generally be slightly more representative of the general population.
Kindlers seem to be sticking mostly to Amazon forums and lists like kindlekorner.
When Sony was released, here was (and still is) about the only place the users can discuss it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #28
spooky69
Stats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiburis View Post
Really, someone has to define some rules around here. The correct response to "Shut up, idiot" is not "Please don't be impolite" but "In a rat's arse, scumbag" or something like that, no?
To be fair, his response completely validated my original horribly impolite remark.

igorsk: That's a good point, and something that I'd wondered about; it does seem like these forums seem to be the central hub of all Reader discussion on the internet...I like 'em.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #29
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
An interesting question to the moderators -- what's the ratio of male to females who have registered at MobileRead? Of the members who have posted at least XXX messages, what's the ratio? Of the members who have posted at least 20 messages in the past month, what's the ratio?
I'm not sure that we can come up with a definitive answer. It's not obligatory to say whether one is male or female, when registering. A fair number of people leave that box blank. (And others might not be telling the truth.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #30
spooky69
Stats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm not sure that we can come up with a definitive answer. It's not obligatory to say whether one is male or female, when registering. A fair number of people leave that box blank. (And others might not be telling the truth.)
If lying's involved, the culprit is definitely every woman ever.