Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Nicolay77
Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PockeBook Inkpad Color
Kindle PW1 restarts on USB Drive Mode

This is the Paperwhite first gen with latest 5.4.4 update and latest jailbreak.

I plug the Kindle, it shows "USB Drive Mode" and then after some seconds the kindle restarts itself.

The computer sees the kindle, Calibre sees the kindle, and when it restarts, the computer stops seeing the kindle.

If USB Networking is enabled it doesn't enable "USB Drive Mode", but the kindle reboots after some seconds. I can even connect to SSH before it dies, but the SSH session always dies. And the kindle restarts.
Nicolay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I encountered the same problem with 5.4.4 while using the FreeType Override (BCI) which is part of the Fonts hack. The problem went away when I switched backed to the Amazon default.

I haven't tested the other FreeType libraries.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, do you happen to use the fonts hack and/or a custom key system library? The issue JimmyR mentions was fixed (in the snapshots, actually, thanks for reminding me that I need to update the release ;p).

Although the fact that you see an issue w/ USBNet feels different, so, yeah: what did you do?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Thanks, NiluJe. Installed the snapshot and it seems to be working well. No restarts while using the FreeType override.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Nicolay77
Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nicolay77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm using FreeType Override (BCI).

Installed the snapshot and now there are no random restarts on USB Drive Mode.

I will check the SSH prompt tomorrow.
Advert
Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Nicolay77

USB networking: no reboots.

I get this text on SSH:

Code:
Welcome to Kindle!

root@192.168.15.244's password: 
#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  # 
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# 
[root@kindle root]# 
[root@kindle root]# ls
And it's frozen, it never responds again.

Last edited by Nicolay77; 04-04-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolay77 View Post
USB networking: no reboots.

I get this text on SSH:

Code:
Welcome to Kindle!

root@192.168.15.244's password: 
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  # 
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# 
[root@kindle root]# 
[root@kindle root]# ls
And it's frozen, it never responds again.
use: ssh -v (or -vv or -vvv)
and see if there is anything that might be a hint in the messages.

And is that ssh over USBnetworking (I wouldn't expect to be seeing the password prompt)?
It looks more like ssh over WiFi.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Wild guess: you're on Linux, and NetworkManager is crapping on your network setup of the Kindle?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw1 jailbreak usbnet