Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
shadowThief
shadowThief began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Calibre 2.25.0 and Tray Icon (Archlinux)

Hi,
I liked the tray icon from Calibre 1.xx. I still got a tray icon in the early releases of Calibre 2.xx, but then the tray icon was removed because of a buggy QT5.
Since then it was enabled again, but I've never got my tray icon back.
I enabled and disabled the tray icon several times, with different releases of Calibre, but still don't get it back.
I'm using Archlinux with Gnome-Shell (kernel 3.19.3 and Gnome 3.16.1 right now) and the TopIcons extension (I tried it without the extension too).

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
shadowThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your desktop environment needs to support the StatusNotifier spec. You can run calibre in debug mode and it will print out what the problem is:

calibre-debug -g
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
shadowThief

You are right, no StatusNotifier spec seems to be supported
Quote:
calibre 2.25 isfrozen: False is64bit: True
Linux-3.19.3-3-ARCH-x86_64-with-glibc2.2.5 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.19.3-3-ARCH', '#1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 8 14:10:00 CEST 2015')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('', '', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: KoboTouchExtended && Extract ISBN && Count Pages && Kobo Utilities
Starting up...
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboUtilites::action.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboUtilites::dialogs.py - loading translations
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboUtilites::action.py - loading translations
Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.
Failed to create system tray icon, your desktop environment probably does not support the StatusNotifier spec
DEBUG: 1.0 No Kobo Touch, Glo or Mini appears to be connected
DEBUG: 1.0 rebuild_menus - self.supports_ratings=None
Started up in 1.57 seconds with 677 books
Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The desktop environments that I know support StatusNotifiers are KDE 4/5 and Unity. I've never used gnome 3.x, so I dont know about it.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The desktop environments that I know support StatusNotifiers are KDE 4/5 and Unity. I've never used gnome 3.x, so I dont know about it.
That wasn't what you said back in November The 2.8 release notes included Gnome 3 as supported, so probably something else is wrong.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks for reminding me, I did setup a VM for gnome 3 at the time, in which it did work. Though I cannot remember what distro/version of GNOME it was now.

EDIT: I think it was Ubuntu with the GNOME desktop environment instead of Unity, in fact, I probably still have that VM, so I can check
Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, in my Ubuntu 14.10 VM with the GNOME Flashback (Metacity) desktop environment the system tray works.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
shadowThief

Only in Gnome Flashback or in Gnome Shell too? What Gnome Version was this?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Whatever version of gnome comes with Ubuntu 14.10. And it was GNOME flashback only.