Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Free Audiobook - Brighton Rock

An unabridged recording of Graham Greene's Brighton Rock, read by Samuel West, is available for free download here: http://www.audiogo.co.uk/BrightonRock

Summary:
Quote:
'Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours, that they meant to murder him...' So begins 'Brighton Rock', in which a gang war rages through the dark underworld of 1930s Brighton.

Seventeen-year-old Pinkie Brown, malign and ruthless, has killed a man. Believing he can escape retribution, he is unprepared for the courageous, life-embracing Ida Arnold.

Greene's gripping thriller exposes a world of loneliness and fear, of life lived on the 'dangerous edge of things'.

'Brighton Rock' has twice been adapted for film. Richard Attenborough starred as Pinkie in the 1947 version, with Sam Riley and Helen Mirren starring in the 2010 release.

'The most ingenious, inventive and exciting of our novelists... A master of storytelling' - Times

'I read Brighton Rock when I was about thirteen. One of the first lessons I took from it was that a serious novel could be an exciting novel...' - Ian McEwan

'A superb storyteller with a gift for provoking controversy' - New York Times

Samuel West reads Graham Greene's classic gang war thriller - complete and unabridged.
I think it's for UK only? When I tried registering for an account it said the media wasn't available in my area (US), sooo.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
No, seems to work for any non-US mainland region, even US territories and minor outlying islands ... Just not "USA".
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Seems to work in Canada. Site is a BBC subsidiary, so maybe US people will have to wait for some sort of BBC America version? Tried a few other titles in the basket and the answer is they just don't have regional distribution rights for this particular title in the US, just as I got a "we cannot ship this to your country" answer with a quarter of the ones I picked.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-18-2011 at 12:19 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think I got that message on a single one I tried other than "US". I did try the US territories and islands, Canada, Mexico, Australia, China, Palestine, and a random number of european, african and south american countries. Only the US removed the "buy" button for the ones I tried.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, the actual message says "This item is not Available for this Region." in red letters and I don't see it until I've placed either the CD or Download version into the cart and go straight to the shopping cart page with the full cart contents.

For example, this title is completely unavailable to Canadians, which is a shame, since it was one I'd have liked and they're having a 50% off audiobook sale (apparently we also get VAT deductions which knock the price down by a further 17%).

By contrast, this other title is available to me as a Download, but I'm blocked from buying the CD, which seems mildly weird, and this third title I can buy both Download and CD, assuming I wanted to pay 9.99 pounds sterling in shipping for the latter.

As for having no buy buttons, some of the titles seem to be only available in either CD or Download, not necessarily both.

Though if you are indeed missing out on any buttons entirely, maybe the entire US is just not covered by their site, which seems like an oddly specific and surprisingly thorough geo-restriction given that the rest of the world seems to be okay.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Ah, interesting. I hadn't tried the CD's (and didn't play much further than the pricing/availability on the one).
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I got as far as ordering the freebie above and created an account. It said I would get an email but never got it - that was last evening about 10pm pacific time. I left country as England.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer

You should have been able to just keep checking out, no need to get an email.... at least, that's what I've heard.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
This USA (not in my registration info) guy is downloading it at this very moment - never did get an email (maybe it was spammed by my isp). I guess all is fair, if not kosher, in this geo-restricted world.

edited to add: 250 or so megabytes later, I do have the audio book

Last edited by FF2; 02-18-2011 at 03:50 PM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote