Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Why did you buy an Android based reader?

What sort of person is an Android based reader best suited for?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
It was cheap.

Runs library (overdrive), Kindle and BN apps. Oh, and has a competent browser.

It was cheap. It's no Kindle, but it's versatile.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Agreed: It was cheap.

Already had a dedicated ereader, but was interested in moving up to a slightly larger color screen. I got my daughter an iPad for Christmas and saw the potential there, but also saw some limitations in the cost and the proprietary-ness of it.

I found an android based reader that could be "opened" for general purpose tablet-style usage. It was cheap; lower cost than my smaller b&w dedicated ereader. I thought it would be worth the risk of getting and trying out without the huge financial bite.

Now I not only read books (and comics) but also play games, browse the web, use some productivity apps ala PDA, and fiddle around with customizing the look and feel of the interface.

Oh, and it was cheap. Has anyone mentioned that yet?
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Why I bought it:
  1. It's cheap
  2. It's multifunctional
  3. It supports open source dictionaries
  4. It's colourful
  5. I can browse web in full experience
  6. You can easily leaf through books
  7. It has nice highlighting and bookmarking and draw-on-page features
  8. SUPPORTS PDFs AT IT'S BEST LEVEL

Some things I hate:
  1. Battery life
  2. Weight
  3. Less Portability
  4. Associated with my sympathetic system; except for coolreader; unlike my E-ink reader which turns me Parasympathetic the moment I pick it up!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Why did I buy it

1: I wanted a tablet and didn't want 10" or an Apple
2: Wanted a multi function device that accessed internet, games and also an eReader
3: Wanted a backlit screen so I can read in bed without the light on and disturbing SWMBO
4: It was cheap
5: Like the Aldiko software
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Cheap? The nookColor is more expensive than the Kindle 3.

One think the Android readers have is access to many apps. I got one because it has excellent apps that allow me to access any store/format and still offer the same flexibility most traditional eReaders have.
  • It's the best PDF reading experience.
  • Best DRM support (ePUB/MOBI/eReader)
  • Most formats PDF/ePUB/DOC/MOBI/HTML
  • Browser (full internet access)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Bought it mostly for PDFs and office apps. I could care less about Android and its toy, smartphone apps, but since no one has an affordable and reliable Windows 7 tablet available I opted for the nookcolor. Its okay--just. But its only temporary as Android is disappointing just like iOS. I will get a REAL workhorse when one becomes available and it will NOT have Android or iOS.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
For me it was simple, backlight for bed time reading and the IPad is overpriced.

The other fun things that I can do with the android are merely icing on the cake.

Cheers
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Cheap? The nookColor is more expensive than the Kindle 3.

One think the Android readers have is access to many apps. I got one because it has excellent apps that allow me to access any store/format and still offer the same flexibility most traditional eReaders have.
  • It's the best PDF reading experience.
  • Best DRM support (ePUB/MOBI/eReader)
  • Most formats PDF/ePUB/DOC/MOBI/HTML
  • Browser (full internet access)

=X=
Pandigital Novels aren't. That was my first experience with an Android based ereader.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
vja4Him
vja4Him
vja4Him began at the beginning.

Device: none
After doing some research, I decided to go with the Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB. I wanted something mostly for reading articles and books, and also listening to music and watching short videos.

I was seriously looking at the Archos 43 Internet Tablet, but then when I saw the extra features that the Archos 70 has, I decided to get the Archos 70 instead.

I wanted something more versatile that will read PDF ant TXT, numerous video and audio formats, with WiFi and Bluetooth, good battery life.

I've been enjoying my new Archos 70 IT! Seems reasonably stable, with a few quirks. I'm still waiting for Archos to fix some of the issues before I update again ....
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Android is based on Linux. I love Linux (stable, open source, strong, versatile)

Now, mix that with a tablet format and you can get a powerful mobile device that will let you browse Internet, do light stuff for work while you're away from office and even play some games or read (breaking the DRM limitation and the silly wars between bookstore companies) Kind of a multipurpose office/fun device.

I did not want an ereader, my Kindle does that for me and excel, but a tablet device which allows me to read occasionally.

I disagree about the price. They are not cheap, at least not the ones with full access to Android Market and capacitive touch screen.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
Pandigital Novels aren't. That was my first experience with an Android based ereader.
True, because they don't have capacitive screen. Capacitive LCD screens are more expensive to produce, hence the final price will be high as well. Of course, according to your needs you can be totally happy or not with that, but I find capacitive LCD screens better and more responsive.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Of course, according to your needs you can be totally happy or not with that, but I find capacitive LCD screens better and more responsive.
I have used an iPad and I use my Pandigital novel. I find it easier, myself, to use a stylus and "write" out the commands on the screen. But then, again, I am a big fumble-finger who never managed to touch-type beyond about 12 words a minute.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I have used an iPad and I use my Pandigital novel. I find it easier, myself, to use a stylus and "write" out the commands on the screen. But then, again, I am a big fumble-finger who never managed to touch-type beyond about 12 words a minute.
Interesting.

Buy besides typing, you really found the Pandigital screen better than iPad? For instance, when using the interface or Operating System, like moving between virtual desktops, opening programs, zooming, etc?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I got my Advent Vega because I wanted a large screen and bang for the buck, plus it had Android which I love from my mobile phone. I'm certainly happy with my acquisition, even if I've run into a strange loop which I'm right now trying to solve...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote