Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
M-Edge cover

I should have read this forum better and paid more attention. I just received my new cover for my DR800SG from M-Edge. Very prompt service. Here is the note that I just sent them.

<<
I just received my iRex cover from you. Your response and shipment was very good. At first glance the cover looks extremely nice but it is basically unusable. I am extremely disappointed in your design people. What were they thinking? Did they design this cover without ever looking at what they wanted to put in it.

You cannot power on the device while it is in the cover. One of your four corners is extra large to hold the device well. It completely covers the power on and off and it covers the locking button. You need to lock the iRex before you close the cover so that the cover doesn't push any of the buttons. iRex designed the DR800 nicely so that there was both a power switch and a locking mechanism in the bottom left corner and your cover completely covers these switches. Quite honestly this makes the cover unusable. I cannot be removing the device from it's cover every time I open or close the cover.

The cover is also extremely wide for those of us that don't want a light. The reader is already wider than I would like to carry around and your cover is much wider still.

The quality looks excellent, your ordering processing and shipping went very well. I am very disappointed that this nice looking cover is now going to sit unused in a drawer.
>>

None of this is new news to the readers of this forum but it is a worse problem than I anticipated. Just thought that I would add these comments again in case anyone, like me, didn't pay enough attention the first time around.

Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
What's their return policy?

Edit: Looks like a 60 day return policy with a full refund. Sounds like that's better than just letting it sit unused in a drawer.

http://www.medgestore.com/support/

Last edited by Shaggy; 04-08-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Just got mine this morning. Good feel -- love the texture on the inside cover, great for holding folded back -- and actually lighter than I anticipated. Flaws are as everyone's been saying. I ended up flipping my DR around so the thin straps are at the bottom and I can power on/off with a thumbnail.

The integrated light ... is maybe good for emergencies. You'd have to point it at the top of the screen, read halfway, then move it to illuminate the bottom half in order to continue. Ah well, the Mighty Bright clips onto the cover very nicely.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Mine is on the way too. I am planning to use it upside-down. If it becomes too weird, I might cut a hole near the power switch :-)
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
Using it upside down kind of defeats the purpose of the nice little pockets they put inside the cover. I also have a problem with the cover opening backwards from a book. I am trying to show everyone how "just like a book only better" this is. I have made my own cover and may stick with that. It isn't as professional but it works. I used Velcro strips to attach the reader to the cover. I had to use Velcro with my old Sony cover because their little clips where really cheap and this way I can bend the cover right back.

I am glad someone mentioned the return policy. For some reason I had it mixed up with the iRex itself which had a return policy of 14 days. As a Canadian I had to by it through Amazon and Car Toys. I couldn't by it directly from Car Toys or through Best Buy.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
Using it upside down kind of defeats the purpose of the nice little pockets they put inside the cover. I also have a problem with the cover opening backwards from a book. I am trying to show everyone how "just like a book only better" this is.
That's a perfectly understandable position, jjansen. By all means return it.

I'll be keeping mine. I just wanted protection that felt good in my hands when the cover is folded back for reading. Call me undemanding.

The light, too. I'm finding that it, combined with the Mighty Bright, gives a nicer, more complete, illumination of the screen. The Mighty Bright is, er, bright. But it's still coming from a single direction. A second light fills in nicely.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
Using it upside down kind of defeats the purpose of the nice little pockets they put inside the cover. I also have a problem with the cover opening backwards from a book. I am trying to show everyone how "just like a book only better" this is. I have made my own cover and may stick with that. It isn't as professional but it works. I used Velcro strips to attach the reader to the cover. I had to use Velcro with my old Sony cover because their little clips where really cheap and this way I can bend the cover right back.

I am glad someone mentioned the return policy. For some reason I had it mixed up with the iRex itself which had a return policy of 14 days. As a Canadian I had to by it through Amazon and Car Toys. I couldn't by it directly from Car Toys or through Best Buy.
Check out this one: http://www.medgestore.com/products/dr800-latitude.psp , maybe you can ask for an exchange instead of a refund.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Check out this one: http://www.medgestore.com/products/dr800-latitude.psp , maybe you can ask for an exchange instead of a refund.
I'd be concerned about the protection that one provides if it's a soft cover, which is what it looks like. Do you know if there's a hard shell in it that protects the screen? Can't really tell from the picture/description.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
CoolDragon
Addict

I don't think it has a hard cover, but at least it doesn't cover the switch and it is not wider ......
Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
I don't think it has a hard cover, but at least it doesn't cover the switch and it is not wider ......
Yeah, but is the convenience of not covering the switch much consolation when your screen gets broken.

IMO, protection is probably higher priority than convenience. Having both is what you want, but I wouldn't make a trade off in that direction.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
cmichaelis
cmichaelis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Is iRex ever going to make a cover in another color but white? That is the only reason I don't buy the one they offer which is at least designed to use the pivot holes in the DR800.

And why wouldn't M-Edge design the cover to use the pivot holes in the first place? It seems like they are just recycling a kindle cover for the DR800.
cmichaelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I'm keeping a bobby pin clipped to the left bottom corner of my M-Edge case. The ends have a nice rounded non-scratch surface and it makes turning it on/off easy without removing the reader from the case.

I've also flipped the reader upside down in the case, making it open like a left-handed notebook. This works fine, but it's a little awkward with the M-Edge light accessory attached.

The design isn't perfect - but it's the best $20 case I've seen, so I'm fine with it for now.

I have the Latitude case for my Kindle 2. The front of the case is way too soft for my liking, but I've placed a thin sheet of plastic (like a huge credit card) in the front cover pocket to compensate and it works well. There is no way I'd try to store anything other than a microfiber cleaning cloth inside the pocket while the screen is directly beneath it.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
The integrated light ... is maybe good for emergencies. You'd have to point it at the top of the screen, read halfway, then move it to illuminate the bottom half in order to continue. Ah well, the Mighty Bright clips onto the cover very nicely.
The light works better if it's farther away from the screen. Try extending it as high as possible and aim it toward the middle. I'm getting most of the screen illuminated, but with fair-poor coverage in the upper/lower corners nearest the light - good enough that I'm not moving the light around. I bought my light through Best Buy (the one marked for the Sony PRS-600), so it's possible that mine it's slightly different than yours.

Although I'm using the M-Edge light occasionally, I prefer my Varilux Natural Spectrum book light - it's huge and drains batteries like they're going out of style, but it gives great light.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
The light works better if it's farther away from the screen. Try extending it as high as possible and aim it toward the middle. I'm getting most of the screen illuminated, but with fair-poor coverage in the upper/lower corners nearest the light .
I have also rotated the unit as most people are doing in order to use the switch, so the light is at the bottom of the unit now. I find I get better light coverage by sliding the light out of the slot by about an inch.

The stylus holder is seems to be for the small stylus not the big one sent to the European customers, have stuck the clip of the stylus into it but it is not really a long term solution.

I however do not think that the unit is too wide, but it is up to each to make their own decision. I was more annoyed that the spring for the battery fell off and rolled away on opening the unit, I don't think I shall see that again. I had to roll up some solder use that too complete the circuit.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmichaelis View Post
Is iRex ever going to make a cover in another color but white?
I don't remember seeing that discussed on their forum, but I could be wrong.

It wouldn't hurt to send them an email and ask. The iRex people that participate on here are mainly developers, they may not know the answer to that type of question. You'd probably have better luck asking their customer support through email or their website.

If you do get an answer, please share it.