Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
eethanshire
eethanshire began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony T3 vs Kobo touch

Hello all,

With an array of ereaders to choose from, I am having difficulty finding the right one within my budget. I do have my eyes set on two ereaders at bestbuy with the same price tag of $79.99 - the kobo touch and sony t3. Perhaps you would be willing to help with this dilemma. It is important to note that I live in Canada which eliminates kindle and nook altogether as I have plans to borrow the majority of my book from Canadian libraries.

My needs are basic:
- eink tech
- no need for email, web browsing or facebook
- access to libraries and as many ebook stores and formats as possible.

Specifications suggest T3 being the better purchase but I hear so many negative reviews for sony's ereaders. Would it be wise to opt for the kobo despite being 2 years older?

Thanks
eethanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Plenty of Kobo Touch users are perfectly happy with their Kobo, but a 2-year old device versus one that's just been released? Unless the former is a fair bit cheaper, I'd be snapping up the T3. (Here in the UK the Kobo Touch has been reduced to £30-£50 - at £30 I'd buy it over the £99 T3 ), but at the same price, there'd be no contest.

If you aren't interested in a lighted reader (Kobo Glo or Aura?) then I'd take the T3. You will have more font and text customisation options with the Kobo, but the T3 has increased screen resolution & faster processor. Page turns, book selection etc will all feel a lot faster. And if you are borrowing from a library, the Sony's have a slight advantage in that you can browse from your ereader and borrow directly from the library - every other reader you have to borrow library books via your computer then load them onto your reader (only a plus if thats a feature that might interest you).

I'm also not sure what the negative reviews are of the Sony, they have generally been pretty solid, their firmware tends to be a lot more robust than Kobo. The criticism of Sony has been that they don't seem to be putting the same effort into their ereader business, and have lost a lot of ground by not competing with Kobo & Amazon with a lighted reader.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
If your intention is to primarily read library books then go with the Sony. Hands down. You can actually borrow the books on the device itself which is a wonderful feature. Browsing can be a bit awkward but downloading a book that has just been made available to you after being on a waitlist is an awesome feature.

People complain about everything. It's too sunny. It's too dark. It's too hot. It's too cold. Take what's best for you and go from there. I personally really really dislike Kobo's but I love Sony's. I have my reasons but I don't want to cloud your decision.

Do what works for you. There's a reason why there's 31 flavours of ice cream. I'd go with the Sony because it's newer, because you can access the library directly on the device - no other reader today can do that, and I personally like the interface better than the Kobo. They're the same price of $80 at Best Buy Canada ending today so act soon!

The Sony's work right out of the box and are pretty much set, solid devices where you can happily read away. I have a massive hate of for a device that isn't solid from the get-go and has to constantly release new updates to fix things that should have worked properly in the first place. cough *Kobo* cough [<-- just my opinion but I'm not the only soul who feels that way!]
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
eethanshire

Thank you for your insight, it was very informative. I will purchase the sony T3 this afternoon.

Another question had just occurred to me. Is it possible to purchase ebooks from Amazon, google, BN, Indigo/chapters and port them over to the sony T3 with ease or am I required to convert the ebook format to PDF to allow for compatibility?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Don't convert to PDF (ack!) - convert to epub. You will need to remove DRM first from most books from those sources.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Don't convert to PDF (ack!) - convert to epub. You will need to remove DRM first from most books from those sources.
I'd second that - I find PDF files are horrible to read on Ereaders. Just remember when converting from one format to another that Apprentice Alf and Calibre are very good things to google. As for downloading Kindle files you will need to have kindle for PC.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
The T3 is great - almost as small as my previous prs-350, and even better screen.

Use Calibre on a PC to manage your library and removing drm from Amazon books etc, convert to ePub etc.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
eethanshire

I went ahead and purchased the t3 at best buy for $80. What a wonderful piece of technology. It exceeds all my expectations, and runs flawlessly. The overdrive app to take out library books is absolutely essential for me, it gives me quick access to any library book available without having to resort to the pc and cable. If the book does not appeal to me, return directly from app and Borrow another. Not entirely sure if this is only found on Sony ereaders at the moment but this feature alone is essential.

In addition to all of this, I am happy this ereader does not have a back light. The simplicity of the t3s core features is exactly what I ' want and need. I highly recommend this device for $80

Thank you for your recommendation fellas. I appreciate your honesty and advice in the matter.
Now if you will excuse me I have some reading to do.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanshire View Post
The overdrive app to take out library books is absolutely essential for me, it gives me quick access to any library book available without having to resort to the pc and cable. If the book does not appeal to me, return directly from app and Borrow another. Not entirely sure if this is only found on Sony ereaders at the moment but this feature alone is essential.
I think you can get an Overdrive app for some tablets, but as far as I know the Sony/Overdrive partnership is unique among eink devices. If this is your killer app, you definitely bought the right device.

Quote:
Thank you for your recommendation fellas.
Nope, but cheers anyway. Happy reading.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Thank you for your recommendation fellas. I appreciate your honesty and advice in the matter.
Now if you will excuse me I have some reading to do.
Another nope from me too for this bit.... but happy reading anyway
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
eethanshire

Sorry ladies. Did not mean to exclude you from the deserved thanks. Thanks!