Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Wall charger for the Kobo Glo

Will any wall charger that will accept the USB cable work with the Kobo Glo?

For example, I have the normal white Kindle wall charger (5w), as well as the dark-colored 'fast' wall charger I bought for my Kindle Fire HD (Amazon Kindle PowerFast - (9w).

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-PowerFa...e+wall+charger

The 'normal' charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Power-A...e+wall+charger

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-31-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I believe any wall charger that has the right usb connector (or the superior ones that accept any usb cable) will work with a Kobo. I use my Blackberry charger with my Touch all the time.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've used a range of wall chargers with my Touch and have had no issues at all.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Definitely yes. All USB sockets and thus all chargers with USB sockets limit their voltage to USB standards. You never have to worry as long as the plug fits!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, everyone.

I appreciate the help.

Don
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
You'll find it charges much more quickly with the higher output charger, the 9W model... 1.8Amps vs. 850ma. for the other.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I use my Sony ereader wall charger with the Glo - no probs.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
You'll find it charges much more quickly with the higher output charger, the 9W model... 1.8Amps vs. 850ma. for the other.

Interestingly, Amazon claims otherwise for their e-ink devices:

"Optimized for Kindle tablets: PowerFast is a 9W charger and will charge your Kindle tablets faster than the white 5W Kindle charger will. (Note Kindle e-readers will charge at the same rate regardless of if you use a 5W or 9W charger)"

Don
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Yeah it will depend on the device as well, if it's not configured/designed to attempt to draw more current, then it will charge at the same rate regardless of the charger.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I use my USB iPhone charger without problems
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beware of floccinaucinihilipilificators...

What I should have said was, "The higher output charger may allow for shorter charging times if the devices, like most micro USB powered devices, allow for the newer rates of up 2.1Ah..."

YMMV.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Beware of floccinaucinihilipilificators...
Thanks learnt my new word for today!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
TechniSol

New to you, but that's actually been around for a while. The femine genderization of it, floccinaucinihilipilificatrix, was once upon a time the longest word in the dictionary, possibly even the OED, and might be politely defined as "one who discovers the tiniest flaws."
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Interestingly, Amazon claims otherwise for their e-ink devices:

"Optimized for Kindle tablets: PowerFast is a 9W charger and will charge your Kindle tablets faster than the white 5W Kindle charger will. (Note Kindle e-readers will charge at the same rate regardless of if you use a 5W or 9W charger)"

Don
the device limits the rate to match the battery so no fires
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
I have to say that take care with chinese brands.

Once I bought a cheap USB charger on eBay. I look for every spec, to be exact like I want it. But, as a cheap chinese product, the tolerances were not the same. So even it had marked 5V and 0.7A (for instance), they produce unwanted results on my phone (touch screen giving a bad response), due to an unconstant current.

This is something you can't say looking at specs, so take care!
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote