Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
TreyAzagoth
TreyAzagoth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Help please, Kobo Desktop won't download book.

Yesterday, I purchased the book "Nirvana: The True Story" from the Kobo store but I just can't seem to be able to download it to my desktop.
When I fire up my Kobo Desktop it immediately recognizes that I have purchased the book and it starts the downloading it. My problem is that after it downloads about 90% of the book I get the message that all of my books are in my library but the book is not there! I have tried to download this book about 10 times now and I get the same results each time.
Help! What am I doing wrong here.
I even downloaded 2 books since purchasing this one with complete success, but this Nirvana book just won't download.
TreyAzagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I guess it would be best to contact Kobo Customer Care (help@kobobooks.com). Might take some time, though - I have a book that doesn't download to the Kobo Desktop and am still waiting for them to resolve the problem (contacted them 6 days ago).

In the meantime you could download the Adobe DRM version and add it to your Kobo using ADE.

Last edited by Jaden; 01-31-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
TreyAzagoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
In the meantime you could download the Adobe DRM version and add it to your Kobo using ADE.
Where can I learn how to do this? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't used ADE much but I've just found out there's lots of information available from Kobo about ADE here: http://www.kobobooks.com/ade (including the download link for ADE)

Once you have installed ADE and authorized your Kobo, you can download the book from your browser (log in to your Kobo library, there's a link on the book's page). It will be opened in ADE and you can transfer it to your Kobo from there.

There's detailed information about the process on Kobo's ade page and I couldn't explain it better.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I guess it would be best to contact Kobo Customer Care (help@kobobooks.com). Might take some time, though - I have a book that doesn't download to the Kobo Desktop and am still waiting for them to resolve the problem (contacted them 6 days ago).

Best bet is to phone. That way to can talk to someone live. They will try to download the book while you are on the phone to confirm if there is a problem with the file.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
TreyAzagoth

Quote:
I have a book that doesn't download to the Kobo Desktop and am still waiting for them to resolve the problem (contacted them 6 days ago).
I wonder if this is a common problem.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Not sure if this works for books that partially download and then fail, but this has worked for me when books dont appear after purchasing

search for the book in the store
from the result that appears press the blue 'i' symbol to the right of the book and chose get a preview
if this is a book you purchased it re sends the complete book not just the preview
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
from the result that appears press the blue 'i' symbol to the right of the book and chose get a preview
if this is a book you purchased it re sends the complete book not just the preview
It worked for me.

I just wonder why they don't simply add a "send to Kobo Desktop" button or something like that so you can delete and redownload books you've already purchased (like Amazon, for example...).

You can always re-download the ADE version (if available) just not the Kobo version.

Guess it's not an uncommon problem and would give the customer service time they obviously need (still haven't heard from them...).
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyAzagoth View Post
I wonder if this is a common problem.

Again, thanks for the help.
Guess it happens once in awhile. And it will happen, too, that users accidentally delete their books from the device and things like that.

Hope they will add a "send to device" button to the "download ADE version" button. (Though I'm not sure it would help in a case like yours...)

Glad I could help.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Hope they will add a "send to device" button to the "download ADE version" button. (Though I'm not sure it would help in a case like yours...)
The functionality is there, it's just not obvious. If you have deleted a book off your device and want to re-add the Kobo version, go into your Kobo account online, go to "Purchased Items", put a checkmark in the book you want to re-add and click on the "Bookmark" button at the top of the book list. This will cause it be downloaded again next time you sync your device.
Of course that assumes the base file on the server is good and something just got messed up with your download. If the file on the server is messed up, doing this won't help.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The functionality is there, it's just not obvious. If you have deleted a book off your device and want to re-add the Kobo version, go into your Kobo account online, go to "Purchased Items", put a checkmark in the book you want to re-add and click on the "Bookmark" button at the top of the book list. This will cause it be downloaded again next time you sync your device.
Wow, that's really "not obvious" (I'd rather say it's hidden well. ).

Thanks for explaining.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
TreyAzagoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Not sure if this works for books that partially download and then fail, but this has worked for me when books dont appear after purchasing

I just tried this method and unfortunately it did not work for me. Oh well, good thing there is Adobe Digital Editions or I would have been unable to read the book at all.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #13
susanai
susanai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyAzagoth View Post
Yesterday, I purchased the book "Nirvana: The True Story" from the Kobo store but I just can't seem to be able to download it to my desktop.
When I fire up my Kobo Desktop it immediately recognizes that I have purchased the book and it starts the downloading it. My problem is that after it downloads about 90% of the book I get the message that all of my books are in my library but the book is not there! I have tried to download this book about 10 times now and I get the same results each time.
Help! What am I doing wrong here.
I even downloaded 2 books since purchasing this one with complete success, but this Nirvana book just won't download.
Same here... I have bought at least 20 books and they wont transfer to my Android tablet.
susanai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #14
susanai
susanai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Wow, that's really "not obvious" (I'd rather say it's hidden well. ).

Thanks for explaining.
Been there, done that, does not help.
susanai is offline   Reply With Quote