Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Please, can we do away with books from dead authors for this round?
Not a chance. I'm quite fond of dead people.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #32
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Confusing, keeping track of nominations but I'll jump in w/my three:

Nominate A Question of Upbringing (three?), and Feast of All Saints (two?) and Master and Margarita (two?).

Many nominations already on my TBR list.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
There are many nominations that I'd like to support, but I only have two more nominations so with difficulty I choose these:

I third Seven Japanese Tales.

I second After Dark.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Browsing quickly, here are the nominations (if I missed anything please correct me):

(1) The Age Of Innocence
*(5) On The Beach
(3) The Time Machine
(1) Pride And Prejudice
(4) Persuasion
*(5) Seven Japanese Tales
(2) Feast Of All Saints
(1) Age Of War
(4) A Question Of Upbringing
(3) The Master And Margarita
(1) Scarlet Dreams
(2) After Dark
(2) Time’s Arrow

If anyone would like to update this list with authors, abstracts, nominators or updated numbers, please do so. Otherwise, please scroll through the thread to learn more about each nominated work.

As a reminder, I will be gone for five days starting tomorrow and I may or may not post during that time. The poll may not begin until I return (the 28th at the latest with a three-day poll).

Edited - Updated through Post #37

Last edited by sun surfer; 05-21-2011 at 11:59 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Fourthing Seven Japanese Tales.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #36
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I will third The Master and Margarita.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Fifth Seven Japanese Tales
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #38
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Master and Margarita is a variation of the Faust legend set in 1930s Soviet Union. The novel draws on Goethe's Faust as well as operatic versions of the legend. It also draws on Bulgakov's experiences with the authorities and literary ringleaders of His time. The first draft of the book was written and burned in 1928. Bulgakov was working on the fourth. draft when he died in 1940. The complete version of the novel was not published in Russia until 1973.

Bukgakov was a very good writer and this is his best satire.

I would also recommend A Heart of a Dog by same author about a mad scientist type who creates a human dog hybrid.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll second Age of Innocence. I've not read it, and I'd like to. It's available here in a variety of formats. And I think I'll enjoy it.

On the Beach I read in the 60's and I'll pass on reading again. A good and valuable book, but not one I would enjoy. If it's the final, I'll simply pass this month.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #40
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Master and Margarita is a variation of the Faust legend set in 1930s Soviet Union. The novel draws on Goethe's Faust as well as operatic versions of the legend. It also draws on Bulgakov's experiences with the authorities and literary ringleaders of His time. The first draft of the book was written and burned in 1928. Bulgakov was working on the fourth. draft when he died in 1940. The complete version of the novel was not published in Russia until 1973.

Bukgakov was a very good writer and this is his best satire.

I would also recommend A Heart of a Dog by same author about a mad scientist type who creates a human dog hybrid.
I'll second this as well as I enjoyed Heart of a Dog.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #41
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I recently downloaded "The Brothers Karamazov" . It would be a re-read for me, and I would recommend it, but I understand why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, so I would go with:

Seven Japanese Tales
Master and Margarita
Heart of a Dog

in that order, for something new. Now, are these books available on Amazon or BN?

PS. I got off my lazy electronic behind and looked. The first two are available as Kindle Editions( most likely BN and Kobo has them too). The last seems only available as a pbook). In that case, I would go with the Wharton book as my third nomination.

Last edited by stonetools; 05-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #42
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Is 1984 Literary in peoples honest opinion, can I nominate it ?

Or has it been "Done to Death" ?
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #43
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Is 1984 Literary in peoples honest opinion, can I nominate it ?

Or has it been "Done to Death" ?
Yes, yes, and yes, IMO .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #44
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes, yes, and yes, IMO .
Yes on the first question or on the "Done to Death"?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #45
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Yes on the first question or on the "Done to Death"?
Yes, it's literary

Yes, Kevin can nominate it

Yes, it's been done to death

orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, nominations