Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
TimboK
TimboK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Opening hyperlinks in Calibre EPUB news documents on the Nook

New Nook owner. Just found Calibre (using PC version and Vista) and will be using it for ebook management. I was also setting up some news sites to download and have come across a problem I have not seen an answer for in the forum.

I downloaded 2 periodicals (UTNE reader and Linux Magazine). I can read the epub versions fine on my PC because I can click links which then open in a browser (for UTNE) or in Adobe (for Linux Magazine links) but when transferred to my Nook, I can't seem to "click" or select the links to get the articles (or expanded articles in Linux Magazine). Is there a simple solution to get the links on the Nook to open?

I have been using EPUB as the output format for the Nook and it is WiFi enabled and connected to a network.

Thank you and any help would be appreciated!
TimboK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboK View Post
I have been using EPUB as the output format for the Nook and it is WiFi enabled and connected to a network.
Your saying that you are using EPUB as the "output format" makes it sound like you are using Calibre to do a CONVERSION. Is this true, and if so, what are you converting from (i.e. what format are the magazines in originally)?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
TimboK

Thanks RAH.

I am using the default output from the Fetch News options in Calibre. The file that is generated for both Utne Reader and Linux Magazine news is listed as EPUB. I have not converted the file to any other format. Sorry if that was confusing. Still getting used to the terminology.

Tim
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Oh OK. Unfortunately, I have never done a Fetch News with Calibre. There is a section in the Help file which talks about it: "Adding your favorite news website" . You might take a look.

Also, is there some way to get either magazine on the magazine's website - I mean as a PDF or even an epub file? If so, that might work better than using this news feature. From reading the help, it appears that this News feature requires a conversion (by Calibre during the download), which is where you are probably losing your links.

Sorry I cannot help more, but maybe someone else can now that you have given us more info.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
TimboK

Thank you for helping me think about it! We'll see if anyone else chimes in.

Best, Tim
Advert