Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Is ADE a necessary interface for purchasing books for this device .... ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #17
singingbird
Enthusiast
singingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't littersingingbird doesn't litter

Device: samsung sne60
No, ade is certainly not necessary, since they state the devices they support, and samsung isn't listed...

I just mentioned it because when I visit sites that suggest the files I can buy are in epub, they turn out not to be readable on the samsung device. All the files that I have uploaded successfully are from project g...not bad, just not the most recent reads! Ah well, I best learn to master Korean and use the Kyobo store then

Perhaps I am the lone purchaser of the device on MobileRead?!!!
singingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by singingbird View Post
Thanx for the welcome!!

There is an online manual which says that epub and pdf are supported; my problem is that when I buy a book that is saved in digital editions, !!
Quote:
No, ade is certainly not necessary, since they state the devices they support, and samsung isn't listed...

I just mentioned it because when I visit sites that suggest the files I can buy are in epub, they turn out not to be readable on the samsung device.
your 2 statements are counter to each other.

you are buying epubs which are "saved" in digital editions then they have adobe drm.

if this is so then you have to have the samsung reader as an authorized device in digital editions so that they can be transferred to and read on the device.

can you give me a link to a book store you have purchased from?

if you download a proj. g. epub it can be read on the device , correct?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:53 PM   #19
singingbird
Enthusiast

I had purchased ebooks from waterstones and barnes and nobles - and I had wondered if there is a way to transfer these drm's using Calibre...

My concern initially was if the reader is advertised as being able to read epubs, then why can I not read them on the samsung sne-60??? When the reader is plugged in to the computer, the files are *there* on the device, in the book folder, they are just not readable somehow...

Hmmm

By the way, thanx for all the prompt replies
Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #20
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had purchased ebooks from waterstones and barnes and nobles - and I had wondered if there is a way to transfer these drm's using Calibre...

My concern initially was if the reader is advertised as being able to read epubs, then why can I not read them on the samsung sne-60??? When the reader is plugged in to the computer, the files are *there* on the device, in the book folder, they are just not readable somehow...

Hmmm

Is there a copy of ADE on the sne-60 ?

You have books in the Books folder on the device, presumably some are drm'ed and some are the ones from PG ?

[sheesh trying to find any info on this is like trying to search for gold in a goldfish bowl - even Samsung site has no info ! - the Korean site doesn't translate]
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #21
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
ADE

Quote:

Hmmm

If you have been buying epub books from places like Waterstones, then those books will need to be authorised by ADE in order to be readable.

The fact that a reader can handle epub is not the same as it being able to handle drm protected epub. EPUB is a format, ADE is an added document protection.

I can find very little information about the sne60, but the little I have found does not mention drm capability.

I would try downloading ADE, registering the reader with ADE and then try opening a drm epub book using ADE. If this fails, then I fear the sne60 either is not ADE compatible or there is a firmware bug.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #22
singingbird
Enthusiast

I don't think there is a bug - I'll just have to wait for an English bookstore to partner up with the samsung readers!

Btw, the device is pretty nifty, doing everything you could ask of a reader - although seeing the comments others have written elsewhere, I rue the day I did not get a hold of an irex 800 in the tiny window of opportunity that existed...pdf's are difficult to manage on the sne-60. As I can't really comment on battery life - not having that much stored on the device - I am kind of happy with this reader - oh, and I have learnt to navigate the korean samsung site sans translations!!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #23
GeoffC

Quote:
I don't think there is a bug - I'll just have to wait for an English bookstore to partner up with the samsung readers!
?

You don't need to, just download books in the ePub format .... Fictionwise, for instance have books in a "multiformat" range, of which ePub is but one .... As a alternate with free books, look at some of the links in my signature line, below.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
If you have been buying epub books from places like Waterstones, then those books will need to be authorised by ADE in order to be readable.

The fact that a reader can handle epub is not the same as it being able to handle drm protected epub. EPUB is a format, ADE is an added document protection.

I can find very little information about the sne60, but the little I have found does not mention drm capability.

I would try downloading ADE, registering the reader with ADE and then try opening a drm epub book using ADE. If this fails, then I fear the sne60 either is not ADE compatible or there is a firmware bug.
this exactly. the epubs you have bought have DRM- actually 2 different DRMs one is the "normal" ADE and the other is the B&N DRM.

try this-

download this book The Prince and the Pauper epub

Try reading it on the device
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #25
singingbird
Enthusiast

Tried that link and was able to download it...just couldn't get the samsung to synchronise/read the file! Could see it on the computer, just somehow wasn't going to get read! Is there a *usual* file size? This one seemed a bit larger than the other project g ones I have.

Guess I'll do what the song says...I'll try, try again!

Cheers guys!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #26
GeoffC

Quote:
Tried that link and was able to download it...just couldn't get the samsung to synchronise/read the file! Could see it on the computer, just somehow wasn't going to get read! Is there a *usual* file size? This one seemed a bit larger than the other project g ones I have.

Guess I'll do what the song says...I'll try, try again!

Cheers guys!

ePub wrappers seem to be variable in size, and comparing them with mobi they are larger because they have more information in them.

Can you add the book to the ADE library ?
I'm using ADE on my PC and it has been added to the library with no problem ...
Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #27
singingbird
Enthusiast

Yes, I can add it to my ade library; and when I tried again, the sne60 worked, synching in a few seconds!

Didn't have the nice front cover though...
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #28
GeoffC

eeks ... one small step at a time !!!!

now if you're brave enough you can put the file through Calibre and add a new cover !!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
singingbird
Enthusiast

Not that it is essential, but how do I get the nice cover onto the sne-60? The Prince and the Pauper epub made it to ade, as mentioned, but it lost the cover on its way, so to speak!

And more to the point, with over one thousand people viewing this thread, is no-one else an owner of the samsung device?! No-one has downloaded one bestseller, recent publication, anything other than p.g. stuff???!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #30
singingbird
Enthusiast

btw, hope those of you in Edinburgh enjoy the ebook chats this weekend!!