Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #91
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Device: K3, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I did not realize you where using two nicknames.
This one and briant1234.

It was briant1234 who posted that they had removed ads.
This is the first time I know that I have double personality.

Do I have any other nicknames? Just to see what my other personalities are writing out there... Maybe they are staining my reputation and i am unnoticed.

ouch!
corpcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #92
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcd View Post
This is the first time I know that I have double personality.

Do I have any other nicknames? Just to see what my other personalities are writing out there... Maybe they are staining my reputation and i am unnoticed.

ouch!
Hey, don't worry about reputation. One of my other identities, well-known in this subforum, recently became moderator here.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #93
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

thanks, ill look into that, sorry about talking about ad removal... i was just reading the wiki o.o, anyway thanks for the info!

hm im decided not to upgrade since i cant read w/o jb patch ;( good luck to the devs (ixtab in particular) in getting a new jailbreak to work! (or something like that, im not familiar with why things don't work any more if the jailbreak is still there?)

Last edited by briant1234; 01-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.
briant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #94
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Thumbs up New feature: Ad-hoc (Mobile Phone) WiFi

The new 5.3.2 firmware is full of surprises. I found out I can now connect my Kindle to the internet by making a hotspot with my android phone, which was previously not supported. Nice work, Amazon!
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #95
skull43
Enthusiast
skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
The new 5.3.2 firmware is full of surprises. I found out I can now connect my Kindle to the internet by making a hotspot with my android phone, which was previously not supported. Nice work, Amazon!

skull43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #96
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
The kindle should be able to connect to any hotspot that does not use exotic authentication. Your cellphone hotspot is no exception, so not really much of a surprise. It should behave just like a wireless router.

Did it NOT work with previous firmware? If not, did you setup your cellphone hotspot the same way as before?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #97
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Hey a question: if the jailbreak is working, why doesnt JBPatch/Gui launcher work? considering how the jailbreak should open the kindle for other software?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #98
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briant1234 View Post
Hey a question: if the jailbreak is working, why doesnt JBPatch/Gui launcher work? considering how the jailbreak should open the kindle for other software?
Jailbreak lets you install custom stuff. Whether that custom stuff actually WORKS as expected depends on its compatibility with the underlying firmware. Sadly, the latest firmware changed (obfuscated) stuff that breaks JBPatch hacks.

It is only a matter of time until new versions of hacks (such as a GUI launcher) are published that work on the latest firmware. Please be patient. The new firmware has only been out a short while and it takes significant effort to reverse-engineer it and develop code that works correctly on it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #99
briant1234
Enthusiast

ok thanks gm! i didn't mean to be offensive or anything, just my curiosity got ahold of me.... heheeh
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #100
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The kindle should be able to connect to any hotspot that does not use exotic authentication. Your cellphone hotspot is no exception, so not really much of a surprise. It should behave just like a wireless router.

Did it NOT work with previous firmware? If not, did you setup your cellphone hotspot the same way as before?
I couldn't connect my Kindle to my phone before. I updated the CyanogenMod version since last checking, so I'm actually not 100% sure that the new firmware is the reason.

Mobile (phone) hotspots are usually not the same as normal wifi hotspots. They are 'Ad Hoc' or peer to peer networks. Kindles are known to be fussy when dealing with some forms of WiFi. Firmware version 5.1 brought support for enterprise WiFi (confirmed) and I believe that 5.3.2 is capable of Ad Hoc WiFi.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch
This wiki page still lists the KT as incompatible with enterprise secured WiFi or Ad Hoc WiFi. (And there are also some old discussions in the forums about this.)
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #101
geekmaster

There were working enterprise and ad hoc wifi hacks for older firmwares, but having support built into the official firmware is a big bonus. New firmware just keeps getting better (except when they remove or lock down popular features).

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-13-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #102
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
I had no problems yet with my Kindles to connect via hotspot of my iPhone to the internet. With non of them.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #103
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Just popping in to say, I left my Jailbreak and Font Hack in place while I did a manual update. The update ran fine, and the Font Hack is still working. All is good!

Love seeing ixtab's avatar icon in cover view for the Font Hack.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #104
trtek
trtek began at the beginning.

Question ScreensaverHack

Does this hack works with the newest Kindle Touch firmware (5.3.2.) ???
If not, I don´t see any reason for upgrade, because simple way to get cover of the book as a screenasaver is the priority for me !
trtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #105
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtek View Post
Does this hack works with the newest Kindle Touch firmware (5.3.2.) ???
If not, I don´t see any reason for upgrade, because simple way to get cover of the book as a screenasaver is the priority for me !
hmm.. you can use the python screensaver thingy that Niluje made then.

Its in the README.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

Spoiler:
Quote:
If you intend to use the cover feature:

It will use the cover of the last book opened as the current screensaver.
You'll need to first install the Python package attached to this post.
Download the kindle-python-0.2.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a couple of .bin files, and a couple of directories (src & build).

First, upload the update_python_0.2.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. It should take a couple dozen of seconds.

Download the attached kindle-linkss-0.6.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a couple of .bin files, and a couple of directories (src & build).

First, upload the update_linkss_0.6.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. It should take a couple dozen of seconds.

You now have a couple of choices to make:

Do you want to use the cover of the last book opened as a screensaver? Make sure you've installed the Python package first, then just drop a blank file named cover in the linkss folder. Restart your Kindle ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart), and you're done .
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote