Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #46
Carnyx
Zealot
Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. It would be a very poor decision to buy a nook. The obvious choice in the UK is the Kindle. Great bookstore, excellent price, and superb customer service.
It's certainly looking that way because of the 3G and easy access to a lot of fairly cheap books, and it supports a lot of formats for free stuff. Otherwise I suspect I'd be looking at a touchscreen Sony, Kobo or Nook as I prefer the touchscreen and like the designs/interfaces better. However it's not for me and it's not about looks, it's about what it does so it's looking like a Kindle 3G at the moment. This vexes me because Amazon didn't even bother replying to my email, and I'm really funny about little things like that. If it was for me, believe it or not, I'd have crossed the Kindle off purely for that reason.
Thanks Harry,
David.
Carnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #47
Carnyx
Zealot
Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Carnyx can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I am aware of that. But it is also the only reader you can connect an USB keyboard to [and even that one doesn't support it officially, and even even hacking community doesn't have complete solution at the moment]. So you could make a hack for somebody who is unable to operate standard reader without having to take it apart.
Yes, there's clearly 2 routes to go here: going with what's available out-of-the-box or hacking/jailbreaking. I can definitely see the argument for the latter for arthritic/disabled users as the people who make these things certainly don't cater for their needs. If I was more tech savvy and prepared to do take on the constant support that I believe would go with that, then I'd consider it. Sadly, the answer's no to both of those so it looks like I'm going to go the out-of-the-box route, which is probably a massive cop-out but "a man's got to know his limitations".
Thanks,
David.
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnyx View Post
Well I just checked and everything including "enable private messaging" appears to be enabled so I'm not sure what's going on there Kacir.
Thanks,
David.
When I click on your name and select:
Send private message, this happens
Quote:
Carnyx has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Carnyx from the recipient list and send the message again.
See printscreen below
I can send private messages to other people. Just tried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Printscreen.png
Views:	244
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	82495  
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #49
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh ... one more thing ;-).

When you purchase Kindle for her, you can send books to the Kindle by email. Just send document containing a free book to an email associated with the account and the book arrives at the Kindle wirelessly, automagically. And it gets stored in Kindle cloud, so she can download it again later.

So if I were in your situation I would investigate how she can operate Kindle, or perhaps look into an option to install alternative means for turning page for Kindle. It should be easy to manufacture a board where you attach the kindle and that has big, comfortable, easily operated mechanical lever for pressing the "turn page" button.
Or look into that frankenkindle mentioned in thread.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Well I just checked and everything including "enable private messaging" appears to be enabled so I'm not sure what's going on there Kacir. Thanks, David.
Click on User CP at the top of almost any page. Next click on Edit Options. Scroll down to where it says Private Messages, under Messages & Notifications. Make sure there's a check in the box next to Enable Private Messages. While your on this page, scroll all the way to the bottom and find Miscellaneous Options. Make sure that the top line under Message Editor Interface says either Standard Editor or Enhanced Interface. At the very bottom of the page click on the Save Changes button.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #51
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
When I click on your name and select:
Send private message, this happens

See printscreen below
I can send private messages to other people. Just tried.
I may have resolved it. I had "enable private messaging" ticked, but there's another box underneath that you can tick to limit private messages to just moderators and contacts. I think it must be ticked by default. I've unticked it now.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #52
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Oh ... one more thing ;-).

When you purchase Kindle for her, you can send books to the Kindle by email. Just send document containing a free book to an email associated with the account and the book arrives at the Kindle wirelessly, automagically. And it gets stored in Kindle cloud, so she can download it again later.

So if I were in your situation I would investigate how she can operate Kindle, or perhaps look into an option to install alternative means for turning page for Kindle. It should be easy to manufacture a board where you attach the kindle and that has big, comfortable, easily operated mechanical lever for pressing the "turn page" button.
Or look into that frankenkindle mentioned in thread.
I wasn't aware of the email option so that's something to bear in mind if she has any problem ordering via 3G, which is now a worrying possibility that surprisingly only just came to mind. Just because the device has 3G doesn't necessarily mean that she'll be able to follow the necessary process, because of limited dexterity and the fiddly keyboard. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to E-Read. Sorry that's bloody terrible.
Well the only assistive page-turn device I came across was this:
http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/en/...urner-kindle-3
A little over the odds if you ask me and it looks like it was desinged to launch a nuclear missile, not turn a page in a book. I think I'll see how she gets on with the interface, then if problems, try to locate a cheaper page turn device, and failing that, investigate the USB keyboard hack further.
Thanks,
David.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #53
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Click on User CP at the top of almost any page. Next click on Edit Options. Scroll down to where it says Private Messages, under Messages & Notifications. Make sure there's a check in the box next to Enable Private Messages. While your on this page, scroll all the way to the bottom and find Miscellaneous Options. Make sure that the top line under Message Editor Interface says either Standard Editor or Enhanced Interface. At the very bottom of the page click on the Save Changes button.
Well "enable private messaging" has always been ticked, and I'm afraid I can't locate the "Message Interface Editor" at the bottom of the User CP list. Are the available options the same for all users I wonder?
Thanks,
David.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #54
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Well the only assistive page-turn device I came across was this:
http://www.broadenedhorizons.com/en/...urner-kindle-3
A little over the odds if you ask me and it looks like it was desinged to launch a nuclear missile, not turn a page in a book.
Nice looking, BLOODY expensive. I think I could design something much cheaper, if not so elegant. Much would depend on dexterity and strength of the person in question and on actual situation at the site.

Bear in mind that even with limited dexterity and strength she might be able to operate receiving of mail or purchasing books - for a short time once in a while.
But turning page is different story. You repeat exactly same small movement again, and again, and again and again ... for hours at the time. But, as somebody said, she can activate TextToSpeech(*), turn down the volume and read alongside the voice. That text to speech will make sure that the page will be turned automatically in reasonable intervals.
By the way, if she tells you (or any helper) her password, you can purchase books for her and the books will be automagically delivered to Kindle. You can also "purchase" freebies for her. There is enough of those to keep somebody busy for 25 hours a day
Quote:
I think I'll see how she gets on with the interface, then if problems, try to locate a cheaper page turn device,
That is very sensible plan, I think.

(*) make sure you buy model that supports this ;-)
Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #55
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
But turning page is different story. You repeat exactly same small movement again, and again, and again and again ... for hours at the time. But, as somebody said, she can activate TextToSpeech(*), turn down the volume and read alongside the voice. That text to speech will make sure that the page will be turned automatically in reasonable intervals.
I'll certainly recommend she try the text-to-speech feature, though to me it just sounds annoying if it turns the page before or after you're ready. Then again, if it's that or nothing at all, then I guess it's liveable with.
Quote:
By the way, if she tells you (or any helper) her password, you can purchase books for her and the books will be automagically delivered to Kindle. You can also "purchase" freebies for her. There is enough of those to keep somebody busy for 25 hours a day That is very sensible plan, I think.

(*) make sure you buy model that supports this ;-)
Now that is a good workaround if she can't follow the 3G process. Duely noted.
This is great stuff.
Thanks again,
David.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #56
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I have arthritis in my wrist. I also have a degenerative bone disease there too. It causes excruciating pain at times, numbness, weakness and weird twitches. I have both the Sony T1 & the Kindle Non-Touch.

From my perspective - I'd say go with the Kindle. I find it easier to hold on pain days. Understand that everyone's pain is subjective and varies and changes by the day etc. What you or I may experience may differ greatly. What works for me may not work for you etc. I'm sure you know this already. Does she ever have to wear braces to immobilize her wrists? That's sometime to consider as well. If so, when holding the reader while sitting up, it's easier to press the button to turn pages on the Kindle.

The idea is for this woman to read, no? She needs it to be an easy, pleasant and enjoyable experience. Neither of the readers I have offer 3G. Kindle does in the Touch & the bigger keyboard models. I think the bigger one may be too hard for her to hold in terms of weight an awkwardness. My understanding is that the side page turn buttons can easily be accidentally pressed when holding the reader by the side on the keyboard models. This isn't the case with the non-touch. You can grab it by the side and not accidentally turn the page. I think that's an advantage.

I don't find turning pages to be a problem on either model but sometimes my hand twitches and I lose my grip on the reader. With the Sony I flip pages when I drop it on my chest in bed or accidentally press the home button or some other button on the bottom when trying to recover and grab the reader. I don't have the problem *yet* with the Kindle. It may happen but hasn't so far. The buttons are smaller and there's space between them on the Kindle compared to the Sony.

Turning pages on the Kindle is not difficult. It doesn't take a great effort to press the button, but then there's the pain being subjective thing. I think it might be easier for her to manipulate the 5 way D pad to search for books on the Kindle than messing with a touch screen on a painful, arthritically shaky hand day. You could get her a stylus to us with a touch model though. Something else to think about.

Sorry for being so long but I hope I've been a bit helpful to your decision making process. At least, it'd give you something else to throw into the mix.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #57
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I have arthritis in my wrist. I also have a degenerative bone disease there too. It causes excruciating pain at times, numbness, weakness and weird twitches. I have both the Sony T1 & the Kindle Non-Touch.
Thanks for the reply Shopaholic.
Outstanding - thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I'm grateful to everyone who's replied on this, but it's always good to hear what someone facing similar difficulties has to say about it.
Quote:
From my perspective - I'd say go with the Kindle. I find it easier to hold on pain days. Understand that everyone's pain is subjective and varies and changes by the day etc. What you or I may experience may differ greatly. What works for me may not work for you etc. I'm sure you know this already
I wish I did - that's just the problem - I'm pretty uninformed on arthritis and accessibility unfortunately. Well I was leaning towards the Kindle 3G anyway so that's great to hear.
Quote:
Does she ever have to wear braces to immobilize her wrists? That's sometime to consider as well. If so, when holding the reader while sitting up, it's easier to press the button to turn pages on the Kindle.
I'm not sure about that. I just managed to chat with the carer, but will speak to her in more depth about all this tomorrow. All I would say is that I don't think actually holding the reader is even going to be an option for her as her hands are very withered. Apparently she already operates certain buttons/touchscreen interfaces by pressing the bone in her wrist against them, so there's hope for page turn buttons, but it looks like she will need a stand to hold the E-Reader. The carer is currently trying to get a bespoke stand made, though I'll still discuss the ready-made options with her tomorrow in case it could save some money.
Quote:
The idea is for this woman to read, no? She needs it to be an easy, pleasant and enjoyable experience. Neither of the readers I have offer 3G. Kindle does in the Touch & the bigger keyboard models. I think the bigger one may be too hard for her to hold in terms of weight an awkwardness. My understanding is that the side page turn buttons can easily be accidentally pressed when holding the reader by the side on the keyboard models. This isn't the case with the non-touch. You can grab it by the side and not accidentally turn the page. I think that's an advantage.
Good point - that would definitely be an issue if she were to hold the device herself, but as I say, we're hoping she'll be using it on a stand, so hopefully that problem won't come up.
Unfortunately the Kindle Touch isn't yet available in the UK so the 3G with the keyboard looks like the best option.
Quote:
I don't find turning pages to be a problem on either model but sometimes my hand twitches and I lose my grip on the reader. With the Sony I flip pages when I drop it on my chest in bed or accidentally press the home button or some other button on the bottom when trying to recover and grab the reader. I don't have the problem *yet* with the Kindle. It may happen but hasn't so far. The buttons are smaller and there's space between them on the Kindle compared to the Sony.
Well, hopefully a stand will eliminate these potential problems for her(while no doubt introducing a plethora of new problems of course!)
Quote:
Turning pages on the Kindle is not difficult. It doesn't take a great effort to press the button, but then there's the pain being subjective thing. I think it might be easier for her to manipulate the 5 way D pad to search for books on the Kindle than messing with a touch screen on a painful, arthritically shaky hand day. You could get her a stylus to us with a touch model though. Something else to think about.
Well if I went the touchscreen route(as I'd originally hoped), then I would definitely look at a stylus attachment. The trouble is I can't find a touchscreen reader with 3G in the UK, and it looks like she will be needing 3G.
Quote:
Sorry for being so long but I hope I've been a bit helpful to your decision making process. At least, it'd give you something else to throw into the mix.
You're kidding me - this stuff is gold dust to me so please don't apologise for it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond Shopaholic,
David.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #58
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know people who use the text to speech option on the Kindle at the gym. You turn the volume down and set the speed at the slowest pace. The pages are turned for you, no buttons to press. The folks I know who do this are using the Kindle Keyboard. I would hope that it would work with the Kindle Touch. It will not work with the Kindle Non-Touch because that does not have text to speech.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #59
Carnyx
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I know people who use the text to speech option on the Kindle at the gym. You turn the volume down and set the speed at the slowest pace. The pages are turned for you, no buttons to press. The folks I know who do this are using the Kindle Keyboard. I would hope that it would work with the Kindle Touch. It will not work with the Kindle Non-Touch because that does not have text to speech.
Thanks for the reply ProfCash.
That's interesting - so it can't be all that bad if people are using it by choice in that scenario.
Now I thought the Kindle Keyboard was the same thing as the Kindle Non-Touch. Don't tell me ther'e another one to add to the mix!?
Thanks
David.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #60
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The kindle non-touch doesnt have a keyboard, just navigation and nextpage prevpage buttons.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, accessible, arthritis, best ereader