Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
dee_castile
dee_castile began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Ermine is Awesome

There are so many threads regarding Ermine that I didn't know where to post this, so I thought I'd start a new one. I purchased my PE about two months ago. I am more-than-average computer literate (have BS in IT Technology), but I was terrified to update from Dingo 1.6 to Ermine 0.9 because of all the posts here stating that updating could be iffy -- might work, might not work.

Well, I bit the bullet today and upgraded. OMG! Why was I so afraid to do this? From what little I've played with it, Ermine is awesome and the upgrade install couldn't have been simpler. In fact, the worst part was the fact that my USB flash drive was only 128mb and Ermine needed 140mb, so I had to run out to Wal*Mart and purchase a new flash drive. I am ultra impressed that I didn't have to re-install my apps -- and -- YouTube works fantastically with the stock browser (a problem I had with Dingo).

Thank you obsessed2 and all others who have contributed in making the PE a cooler than cool tablet.
dee_castile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations, and I agree with you, dee!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_castile View Post
Well, I bit the bullet today and upgraded. OMG! Why was I so afraid to do this? From what little I've played with it, Ermine is awesome and the upgrade install couldn't have been simpler.

Thank you obsessed2 and all others who have contributed in making the PE a cooler than cool tablet.

Happy to hear you took the plunge. What most people find is when they jump in the water is pretty warm. I updated two PEs when I received them on day one (April 2011) and to this day haven't had any problems with either.

The nice thing about Ermine is it opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Finally, thank you for the kind words. The whole Edge community has done a great job of making the Entourage Edge a more capable and enjoyable device than even Entourage could have imagined.

Now go have some fun!

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-19-2011 at 10:47 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
rjh007
rjh007 began at the beginning.

Device: Glaxay note 10.1
Ermine Update successful

I have read a lot of information on this forum about the upgrade and the problems that could happen. I hesitated and hesitated for ages now but frustration with the browser and being unable to install I need I did it. o many thanks for the effort form everybody to make life easier!!

So far I agree the upgrade on the EE tablet side is great. Apps install and run, browsing is easier everything is smoother and generally all round better etc. Well pleased..........

Until - I have the hibernation problem after one restore - cannot get out of it except by releasing the battery. This can't be good for long term usage!!

The reader apps Journal and calender work fine but the writing does not. I can write on the edges of the screen but have a 1-1.5 inch block down the middle that just doesn't work. I haven't seen any threads mentioning this before, Has anybody seen this on other systems and is there a workaorund??? If not I will have to go back to dingo and pray the writing function works properly again.

To anwser the obvious

1. I did calibrate the reader screen multiple times
2. the reader function fro the library works fine, no gaps or mising text.
3. pdf annotation has the same problem

best regards

RJH
rjh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi RJH!

Welcome to posting on MobileRead!

You are not the first to have odd blanks in the Reader screen. Here is a thread that might help: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153732.

This thread has more general tips for improving writing in Ermine: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=e-ink+writing

Good luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #6
rjh007
rjh007 began at the beginning.

Device: Glaxay note 10.1
Thanks Filark

I had read those threads prior to posting but re-calibration did not change the blank area just moved it up a bit. I tried different writing angles and pressures but no go I am afraid.
As for the work around by the rectangle selection tool, this works well so the screen area is functional but doesn't register when you write!
My biggest worry is if I go back to dingo will the writer function work again, I haven't seen anybody reporting back on that issue. If I have lost the writer function permanently then I will stay in Ermine but if dingo works again then that is my solution.

I suspect the in an effort to same battery life and functioning power the development team streamlined the voltage settings for the operation of the different components and for a certain configuration of boards, chips and screens they over did it. hence the hibernation issue and maybe even the annotation issue on the reader, if there is not enough voltage being allocated to the hardware then it will just not function properly.
Since there are probably 5 -6 different hardware configurations out there, Ermine must have been tested only on some of them. Hence the problems with some systems and not others

best regards

RJH
rjh007 is offline   Reply With Quote