Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
pusskins
pusskins began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch
iPod touch send to device issues

Hi
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I can't find it.

The issue is this if I use stanza to access the Calibre library wirelessly the books copy over fine as long as the format is one stanza can handle. However if I connect with the cable intending to convert format using send to device so I have a lit file on the computer and ePub on the touch then something strange happens.
Calibre finds the touch but when I go to device library it doesn't see any of the books on it. When I send a book this now appears on the device according to calibre but when I open Stanza no sign.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks
Sue
pusskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by pusskins View Post
Hi
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I can't find it.

The issue is this if I use stanza to access the Calibre library wirelessly the books copy over fine as long as the format is one stanza can handle. However if I connect with the cable intending to convert format using send to device so I have a lit file on the computer and ePub on the touch then something strange happens.
Calibre finds the touch but when I go to device library it doesn't see any of the books on it. When I send a book this now appears on the device according to calibre but when I open Stanza no sign.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks
Sue
I'm still fairly new to Calibre myself, but I'm pretty sure that converting format and sending to device are two separate steps, and can't be merged the way you're trying to.

I'm sure experts will be weighing in soon, including Kovid himself (he's even answered questions of mine!).
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
pusskins

As I understood the manual pressing the send to button starts auto convert if the book is in a format that your reader can't handle. The problem is not so much the conversion as why do stanza and calibre not seem to see each other library. I assume I've failed to tick a box somewhere. The touch is using 4.1

Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Stanza maintains its own library of book installed on the iDevice, independent of iBooks library of books installed on the iDevice. When calibre is connected to an iDevice, it sends to the iBooks library only, through iTunes. The book ends up in the 'Books' playlist. Calibre does not have access to Stanza's library through iTunes.

See this thread for more details on the iDevice driver implementation.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
pusskins

So if I get this right I can use stanza if I reconvert the books and pull them from the pc but if I want to push them I need a different program on my touch I would guess iBooks. That's a pain. Is there anyway around this?

Sue
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Unfortunately not. At the moment iBooks is the only program that is supported for pushing books from Calibre via iTunes and USB. Other ereader programs running on iOS have to operate in Pull mode over WiFi.

Note that if you are on iOS4.x, then Stanza does appear in iTunes on the Apps tab as one to which you can copy programs, but this is a manual process.

Last edited by itimpi; 10-28-2010 at 12:39 PM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
pusskins

Thanks and rats. I had hoped to make use of the auto convert to avoid multiple copies of things. I've been using stanza since before ibooks came along and don't like ibooks at all. Oh well at least Calibre can read most formats so I can at least remove some of the readers I've got on the PC.