Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #46
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I beg to differ: there is a 50% contrast improvement, which is very significant. The Pearl screen has a contrast ratio of 10:1, the Carta screen 15:1. Take a look at the spec sheets from eInk themselves:

Pearl: http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/pearl_spec_sheet.pdf
Carta: http://www.eink.com/sell_sheets/carta_spec_sheet.pdf
From what I've read of actual user impressions, there is no great improvement between pearl and carta.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
From what I've read of actual user impressions, there is no great improvement between pearl and carta.
Comparing my PW1 (Pearl) and PW2 (Carta) screens side by side, I must beg to differ. The Carta screen has a distinctly lighter background, as borne out by the published contrast figures.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #48
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Comparing my PW1 (Pearl) and PW2 (Carta) screens side by side, I must beg to differ. The Carta screen has a distinctly lighter background, as borne out by the published contrast figures.

I would also argue that the Carta screen retains text color better with lighting. In other words, I get the impression that the text doesn't lose as much of its contrast while cranking up the light. I see it especially in comparison with Aura HD.
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #49
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
I would also argue that the Carta screen retains text color better with lighting. In other words, I get the impression that the text doesn't lose as much of its contrast while cranking up the light. I see it especially in comparison with Aura HD.
I don't see any loss of contrast on my Aura HD with the lighting cranked up. The text doesn't look washed out either. If anything, there is more contrast due to the white background when the light is set at 100%.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #50
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
Perhaps, but there is still some fading out of the text on the PW2 as the lighting is increased. There doesn't seem to be as much fading with the kobo Aura to my eye, and I can eliminate the fading entirely by increasing the font weight on the Aura.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #51
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Looks as Aura has it's own quirks in addition to nice screen.
Check out this review.
They state:
1. About pdf:
"None of the usual on-screen features work either. So there's no way to add notes, or highlights, and the only way to reference the dictionary is to type the word in manually".
2. Conclusion:
"Ultimately I think the Kobo Aura HD is more suited for ereader/E Ink aficionados rather than casual readers just getting into ereading for the first time. For one, users need to be familiar with converting ePubs and tweaking CSS settings with Calibre in order to avoid 2" of wasted space at the bottom of pages with most sideloaded ePubs"
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #52
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I think it's not casual users who have trouble with wasted space at the top and bottom. My Aura HD has a little wasted space at the bottom and none at the top (unless you consider "text not edging up against the bezel" as wasted space) and I haven't done any modifications to my sideloaded Epubs.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #53
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding margins, do all the Kindle owners use a hack to deal with the large, x-large, and xx-large left, right margins on their devices. These margins have got to waste as much if not more space than top and bottom margins on a Kobo device.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Regarding margins, do all the Kindle owners use a hack to deal with the large, x-large, and xx-large left, right margins on their devices. These margins have got to waste as much if not more space than top and bottom margins on a Kobo device.
I've never felt the desire to change the margins on any Kindle that I've owned. The default margin seems just fine to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #55
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
I need some "white space" on a page. I hate ultra-narrow or non-existent margins; didn't like them in paper books and don't like them on an eReader.

The Kindle's default margins are very comfortable for me.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #56
llcj
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I need some "white space" on a page. I hate ultra-narrow or non-existent margins; didn't like them in paper books and don't like them on an eReader.

The Kindle's default margins are very comfortable for me.
That's also how I feel about the white space on the Kobo's. The eye needs the negative space to rest; without it the page is too busy.

I guess the reason I brought it up is because people always mention the top and bottom margin on Kobo's as negatives and these people are often Kindle owners.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #57
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I did hack my PW1 to gain more margin control. On the other hand, the space at the top on my kobo, where the title is, doesn't bother me at all.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #58
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
We spoke about the upper and lower margins on the Aura HD. At the beginning, with (I think) 2.6.2, they were huge. Without the patch, again on an HD, they are still bigger than on the PW although the PW has a smaller screen.

Why is that so hard to understand ???

I guess the only sentence that is acceptable to most of you is "Kobo is perfect. Kobo is perfect. Kobo is perfect."

La methode Coué as we say in French
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #59
llcj
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
We spoke about the upper and lower margins on the Aura HD. At the beginning, with (I think) 2.6.2, they were huge. Without the patch, again on an HD, they are still bigger than on the PW although the PW has a smaller screen.

Why is that so hard to understand ???

I guess the only sentence that is acceptable to most of you is "Kobo is perfect. Kobo is perfect. Kobo is perfect."

La methode Coué as we say in French
Aceflor, my question was why are large left - right margins on Kindles acceptable to those who find the top - bottom of Kobo unacceptable. If the left -right margins are too large, do you use a patch?

Yes, I understand completely that you find the top and bottom margins unacceptable.

If my tone seemed strident in my original post, I apologise. I am genuinely curious and ask it in all earnestness. I am not trying to start a war.

No, I do not think Kobo is perfect.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #60
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Aceflor, my question was why are large left - right margins on Kindles acceptable to those who find the top - bottom of Kobo unacceptable. If the left -right margins are too large, do you use a patch?
You cannot compare the side margin size on the PW to the top and bottom margin on the unpatched Aura HD. It is like comparing a cherry with a pineapple, sizewise.

Quote:
Yes, I understand completely that you find the top and bottom margins unacceptable.

If my tone seemed strident in my original post, I apologise. I am genuinely curious and ask it in all earnestness. I am not trying to start a war.

No, I do not think Kobo is perfect.
I don't want to unpatch my Aura HD to show you what I mean, but I'll try to find a pic to give you an idea.

Edit : there you go. Why buy a 6.8" ????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-paperwhite-vs-kobo-aura-hd-540x409.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	114823  

Last edited by aceflor; 11-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote