Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Considering Nook HD+ to replace original Kindle Fire

I was roaming WallyWorld at 6am getting some of my shopping done. I happened across the Nook HD+ at just $149 for the 16gb version. I dunno but for the features it seems like a nice option. I would be using it as pretty much a consumption only device. Movies, reading, web browsing that sort of thing.

I usually carry my phone and Asus Infinity with my everywhere so I can work as needed. I sometimes stick my KF in the bag but usually forget wired earphones. This makes me end up using the phone or Infinity for background noise entertainment while doing whatever I'm about at that microsecond in time.

The lack of BT in the KF was a turn-off from day one but I got such a great deal when it was new I felt I had to keep it. I still find it plays videos very well and love it's display for that purpose. It's integration with Amazon Prime Video is superb as well. Still the BT thing and lack of memory card slot continue to disappoint. I just never seem to have accepted those absent elements.

I am aware of a few limitations on the Nook HD+. The OS will likely never be updated to JB. It is a bit of a long in the tooth CPU. Otherwise I don't see much missing from my needs checklist.

I like the microSD card slot, it has BT, the battery life if at least as good as my KF1 and the weight is fine. Sure it's a bit larger and I love the build quality of my KF1....that beastie is solid in my hand. It is just the NP looks, to me, to be a bit of a steal at the current price. Oh, I know the whole line is being DC'd so that is cool.

On the plus side I might consider rooting then flashing with a new 3rd party firmware. This is something I have not done previously for warranty reasons. Though I recently rooted my Infinity just to install a proper HOSTS file given we now can root w/o unlocking the bootloader which voids the warranty.

So my question is....any newer devices on the horizon with a feature set near to the NP that are in the same price class?
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/gal...GT-P3113TSYXAR is similar in price with more goodies I think. I have a kindle fire and the samsung is quicker for surfing and is a very nice unit. My fire sees very little use other than for reading.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Nook HD+ is definitely going to be faster and better than the original Fire. Much better. For the price, you can't beat it, for that size tablet!

exscentric, the samasung you link is 7". rkw is checking out the 9".
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
With all the doubts about B&N and the Nook problems/complaints in the past I'm not sure if at $99 it's a good buy.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I would recommend it, with caveats. I love my Nook tablets and honestly think they're a great deal and will continue to be a great deal for the foreseeable future. It was a definite upgrade from my Toshiba Android tablet, and it is definitely a better piece of hardware than the original Kindle Fire. The expandable card comes in handy, and it has access to the Google Play store now so you can still read your Amazon books.

However, since B&N is getting out of the tablet business, I would only get it if you're OK with either 1) Sticking with the stock software, or 2) Rooting. Also, if you bought Amazon apps you'll need to root to install those.

That said, rooting is incredibly easy with the Nooks (Main steps: Download files from XDA. Write to SD card. Pop in SD card. Install files on Nook. Restart), and there's plenty of help for anyone who wants to root.

Last edited by Rbneader; 06-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
miki2
Connoisseur
miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miki2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7", Nexus 7 (2013),
"B&N giving up on Nook tablets, turning to unnamed hardware partners instead
(AndroidAuthority)

When B&N unveiled that it was adding Google Play support its Nook HD line, we hoped that bringing Google’s store-front to the device would be enough to push the company forward and allow Barnes & Noble to successfully compete against other Android devices, including Amazon’s Kindle Fire tablets.

As it turns out, the solution was more of a quick band-aid to help drive sales and further deplete existing Nook HD stock.

Today B&N announced that amid declining revenues for the Nook division, they are ending in-house production of Nook tablets, though they will continue to manufacture and sell Nook e-readers.

So are Nook tablets dead and over? Not exactly.

The idea is that the company wants to reign in costs and reduce risks. One of the ways they hope to do this is through the creation of a partnership program, where they will turn to other manufacturers to produce their own Nook-branded tablets.

As for existing Nook tablets, B&N plans to continue to support the devices in-store and through updates. Additionally, B&N will sell the Nook HD line at least through the holiday season.

Will a 3rd party model work for Nook tablets?

You have to wonder how interested vendors will be in partnering with B&N on a line that clearly has seen better days. You also have to wonder whether partner devices would still feature B&N’s custom UI, or would merely have the “Nook” branding and come bundled with the Nook app (as well as Google Play).

If the Nook partnership model is only about tapping into the somewhat-limited power of the Nook brand, you can probably count out bigger manufacturers like Acer, Asus, Sony and Samsung from getting involved. One potential suitor that comes to mind is Foxconn, after all the company has clearly shown a desire to branch out and create its own branded hardware. Keep in mind that’s nothing but pure speculation."

What else can we say; it really seems to be the end of Nook.
miki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
to everyone THANKS for the excellent feedback. I was tire kicking two days ago and there was a Nook HD+ though the display said it was simply a Nook HD...weird.

But side by side with my Asus Infinity and I have to say I was left underwhelmed. Maybe I expected more from the display to the point of too much? Compared to the 1920x1200 on the Infinity the HD+ felt lower resolution and really bad at color accuracy. Magazines looked, not poor, but not great compared with the Infinity.

The build quality was, well, interesting. On first handle it feels like a cheap POS almost like its made of posterboard/cardboard. But as I handled it more I "got it" about the intended feel...by the time I was done I appreciated that feel in my hand. Despite it's almost 2" larger size I came away with the sense it would be far easier to handle for long sessions than my KF1. I especially came to like the funky hole in the corner. Gives a great place to hold with your thumb as well as maybe connect a lanyard or gawds only know what.

I did not pay a lot of attention to performance as I know the default OS version is geared as a reading device not as a more productive tablet. For the intended purpose of consumption not creation, it's perfectly adequate. Don't take that to mean I felt like a screamer...it was more like it just laid there and let whatever happen...we've all experienced this at least once in our lives. So ya take it for what it is or just walk away.

And there is where I was left...walking away. It is NOT a bad device, in fact it is quite excellent and I don't think there is a brand name device close in terms of price, features and value. However after using it I just felt something was not right...but I've been thinking more and the intention is to replace the KF1. Nothing out there will give me that for $149. I don't know why I'm being so fussy but if it was $129 I would have brought it home with me...I mean, really? I am wringing my hands over 20-bucks? Sigh, perhaps it was playing with the Note 8 that has me pondering splurging for something nifty-er? But that is another 200-bones over the ND+ so am I being seduced by the dark-side once more?

I am going to read all of your comments again in a day or two then decide. Not like our local WallyWorld will run out as they are in the middle of a conversion to a WallyWorld "Super" Store which by itself seems a sign of the apocalypse hence why I feels right to spend more before the rapture. So to even see there are tablets still in their boxes you have to know the special handshake. hahaha
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote