Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Changing fonts not working?

When I change the system font, nothing seems to happen except the checkmark moves. The font stays the same. Am I missing something? I am reading ePub books if that makes a difference.

Last edited by tselling; 09-20-2009 at 03:11 PM.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
different formats use different programs on the reader with varying support for font changes. Epub is one of those that does not seem to support those font changes.
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Changing the font in the main menu only effects TXT, DOC and similar formats (e.g. HTML). It also changes the font in most in-book menus (but not the min menus). I use a bold font to get more legible menus.

You can also change fonts, on a per book basis, for MOBI and FB2 - but these work a bit differently from the main menu font option.

There is currently no way to change the font for an ePub. Part of the problem is that an ePub can have embedded fonts, and these can't be overridden easily. However, it is a limitation of Adobe Digital Editions that you can't even change the default font. So if an ePub does not have embedded fonts, it will typically always use the default serif font. If the ePub is DRM-free, Calibre can change from the default serif font to sans-serif. I also make the font bold and left-justify rather than fully-justify. I do this using the command line, but the GUI should be able to do this too:
Code:
ebook-convert in.epub out.epub --dont-justify --extra-css my.css
where my.css is:
Code:
body {
    font-family: sans-serif;
	font-weight: bold;
	text-align:  left;
}
You can do the same for DRMed ePubs if you first strip the DRM (encryption), see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Thanks wallcraft, I was able to use calibre to change to sans-serif bold and it certainly does make the text stand out. Not exactly what I wanted but does help alot.

Now if only we could make the main menu text bigger.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
You can also change fonts, on a per book basis, for MOBI and FB2 - but these work a bit differently from the main menu font option.
The only fonts I have found for FB2 are Times and Arial, and that was on the menu. Is there a way to use your own fonts on FB2?
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
The only fonts I have found for FB2 are Times and Arial, and that was on the menu. Is there a way to use your own fonts on FB2?
No, not currently. By the way, how many system fonts do you have on your Pocket Pro?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
No, not currently. By the way, how many system fonts do you have on your Pocket Pro?
Eleven, counting the eight. I use only two of them. Arial and comic sans.

Last edited by ThomasMcKean; 09-20-2009 at 11:09 PM.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Evelven, counting the eight. I use only two of them. Arial and comic sans.
Thanks, that is also what I have. I wanted to make sure that what I had was the standard shipped product. The EZReader Basic has only one.

By the way, a quick tip to test the default font you have loaded is to lock the keyboard. The message will be displayed in the font you have chosen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
When I change the system font, nothing seems to happen except the checkmark moves. The font stays the same. Am I missing something? I am reading ePub books if that makes a difference.
Just to make sure, cause I did the same mistake, after you press a number to select font did you press ok button to save the change?

I didn't at first, so font was selected then menu was gone after 5 second and the font was unchanged. Pressing ok after selection fixed it.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
tselling
Addict

No, my problem was I was changing the system font and expecting the font in my epub book to change. But the font in an epub cannot be changed :-(

Doing some testing with conversions made in Calibre, I have found 2 fonts available with fb2 files and 3 fonts available with mobi files.

I wonder if non-DRM'd mobi is the best format for the EZReader?

Course I only get a navigateable TOC with epub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Just to make sure, cause I did the same mistake, after you press a number to select font did you press ok button to save the change?

I didn't at first, so font was selected then menu was gone after 5 second and the font was unchanged. Pressing ok after selection fixed it.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
I wonder if non-DRM'd mobi is the best format for the EZReader?

Course I only get a navigateable TOC with epub.
MOBI might be your best choice. You can navigate the TOC in a MOBI. If it shows up as hyperlinks, then you have to select "follow links" (or something like that) in the MOBI main menu. There will be numbers by each link and you select the number you want to follow. If there are more than 9 numbers you need to press OK after entering the number. There is a "backwards" option in the MOBI menu to go back after following a hyperlink. You can also add your own fonts for MOBI, see How to use user fonts in MOBI files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
tselling
Addict

Ok, so I can navigate the chapters with mobi files. Somewhat cumbersome but I only use chapter navigation occasionally. Seems the main downside to mobi files right now is the limited 3 font sizes vs 5 in epub.