Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-28-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Gentoo Handbook (and news feed) in Plucker format

I've taken some time tonight to convert the Gentoo Handbook to Plucker format. I'll be auto-generating these on a monthly basis for download and use by anyone who chooses to use them on their Palm handheld device.

For those who don't know what Plucker is, it is an offline Web and e-book viewer for Palm handheld devices and PDAs. You can convert text files, web pages, and other types of documents to a format suitable for viewing on a Palm handheld device. Plucker is the only Palm "reader" format out there that is 100% Free Software, openly-documented, and supports such rich features as anti-alias fonts, images (color, b&w, pan and zoom), colored text, styles, and much more. No other viewer even comes close in features.

Plucker supports Linux, Win32, OSX, and other platforms through various "distiller" components. There are GUI desktop applications for configuring and converting Plucker content as well as commandline tools written in Python, Perl, Java C++ and other languages.

If you can't get Plucker working on your desktop, there's even an email-only interface to Plucker called "pler" (written in Perl, see the pun?). Plucker runs on PalmOS handhelds as well as PocketPC handhelds (using the Vade Mecum Plucker viewer). It also runs on Linux-based handhelds with the GPE-Plucker viewer.

I've also done dozens of other conversions for other projects, books and works. Feel free to give me some feedback on my progress and some ideas you might have to help me improve the quality or quantity of these works.

If you're interested in the Plucker'ized Gentoo Handbook (and the Gentoo RSS news feed), please feel free to visit the Gentoo Plucker page where I've put up some of the conversions so far. I don't use Gentoo myself (I'm primarily a Debian and FreeBSD guy), but I thought these would be worthwhile contributions to the cause.

(Also posted to the Gentoo forums).

Thanks everyone!

http://code.plkr.org/gentoo/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt01.png
Views:	1117
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	624   Click image for larger version

Name:	gt02.png
Views:	938
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	625   Click image for larger version

Name:	gt03.png
Views:	1074
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	626  
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
For Qtopia (another variant of Linux handhelds), there's QT/Opie Reader.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2005, 05:41 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
David, you really have some talent there. I like your custom Plucker e-book just as much as your xhtml strict web design
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
And Gentoo is getting better soon... I just read that gentoo is coming out with a graphical installer. (http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl...id=190&tid=106)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote