Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've gotten ADE to run in Wine (thanks to some advice here at MobileRead) and, apparently, Audible can also be run under Wine. I don't quite understand not being able to run Overdrive in Linux -- don't you just run it in your browser? (But maybe there is an application that I don't know about.) I don't know what WMA is so can't comment on that.

I agree with you about Microsoft and Apple. Don't like either. Not crazy about Google any more either, but still consider them the lesser of the evils.
I know about Wine, but I don't use Linux. So that would be something else I'd have to setup and then dual boot with Chrome. That would still leave several programs not compatible with Wine, that would still require Windows. Now I'd have to deal with three OSs. Windows is the only OS that runs all of these programs.

Audible and OverDrive both require programs to be downloaded to your computer. WMA is Windows Media Audio. Over 60% of the audiobooks in OverDrive are in WMA format. Even though OverDrive announced that they are dropping this format, it hasn't happened yet and they haven't released a timetable for doing so.

The only plus I see for the Surface tabs is their ability to run all of these book related programs. Something Android and Chrome can't do.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #17
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Ever since my experience of having a complex word doc. crash irretrievably in Office Pro, I've been very reluctant to work on serious projects in Android. For that reason alone, I'm tempted by the i7 256GB version of the SP3 -- being able to run Cubase on it would be gravy. I'll probably have to get the iPad Air for business reasons (music production, compatibility with clients, etc.), but I'd very much like to pick up a Surface Pro 3 instead. Here's to as little compromise as possible.

For the few hours before before my word doc. crashed, the convenience of switching between my laptop and my N7 was heavenly. These days, I only use the N7 to work on docs that I created on the N7 and that are stable in that environment -- which makes my tablet fun but far less useful than I'd hoped.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-21-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
These days, I only use the N7 to work on docs that began on the N7 and are stable in that environment, which makes my tablet fun but far less useful than I'd hoped.
Round-tripping documents is vital for mobile Office apps. If you can't reliably move between desktop and mobile it takes out a lot of value.

Have you looked at Softmaker Office?
It's worked well for me since the HPC Pro days. So far, I haven't had any issues with the Android version.

The i3 SP3 looks real juicy as a reading device... I'll be keeping an eye out for when the refurbs start popping up.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-21-2014 at 06:45 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Ever since my experience of having a complex word doc. crash irretrievably in Office Pro (a crash that ate my backup copy on my Nexus 7 as well), I've been very reluctant to work on serious projects in Android.
Did you use Google Drive? I think that you can retrieve backup versions of a file in Dropbox, so this shouldn't happen/
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #20
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I wish they would have shown the screen in bright sunlight.
Unless they've specifically chosen a technology such as transflective, it's not going to work that well in bright sunlight --- look at the brightness spec. and find another machine w/ a similar rating and that's how well it'll work.

Which really annoys me, since I desperately need a replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Nice looking device. But at that price, and that weight, there are lots of options.

I just got a Dell Venue Pro on sale for $600. About the same weight, 10 in. screen, replaceable battery. Not got the fancy integration or covers, but for the price and specs a hard deal to beat.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #22
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Did you use Google Drive? I think that you can retrieve backup versions of a file in Dropbox, so this shouldn't happen/
I can retrieve the original version, but not the one I revised for hours offline (since the wifi was off at my grillfiend's moth's house that day) and dutifully saved every few minutes.

A friend of mine was just reading news items about the SP3 and pummeling his own shaved head because he owns an SP2.

"What did you think would happen?" I asked him. "You bought a tablet and still use it eight months later."

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-21-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
"What did you think would happen?" I asked him. "You bought a tablet and still use it eight months later."
Cruel. True, but cruel.
Things look to be settling down in the tablet space, though.

Other than a clamshell iPad (iBook?) Zdnet is speculating on, there shouldn't be any droolworthy game changers coming our way the rest of the year. Since Microsoft chose not to do a Surface mini all we'll see is more of the same with, maybe, faster cpus. Incrementals.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
This revision of the Surface is tempting for a Windows user but I am bothered by the apparent regression of the stylus. It appears they went away from the Wacom technology.

Maybe full reviews will be kind to it but 256 pressure levels (and batteries in the pen) are not desirable. I'm a lousy artist but I noticed a big difference between 1K and 2K pressure levels, going from the Bamboo to Intuos 4 tablets.

I also believe a battery on the pen was necessary for the neat click-to-turn-on-tablet feature.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #25
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Although I'm thinking about a bigger device, I was hopping Microsoft to present the rumoured 8'' note-taking surface mini. For a bigger device, the weight is very important for me. Not because it weights on my bag (800g is light), but because I intend to use it on one hand sometimes (maybe a lot, I think). In that case, 800g really starts to get heavy.
So Sony is better in that point. And in the reflective display and battery life.
The negative side is the productivity, since it has worse internet support and doesn't allow usb/bluetooth keyboard connection.

So basically, I still don't know what will I choose...
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #26
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Something weird must have happened with the Mini between sending out invitations and then holding the press information. Invitation said "Small gathering" or something similar, a clear attempt at hyping a smaller device.
Not really. The "small gathering" might have played into the rumor of a Surface Mini but was really small in that it was about 1 device and irony that it was to announce a LARGER Surface.

I'd be quite surprised if Microsoft produced a Surface Mini. I know that it makes sense to some, but it makes no sense to me. Microsoft has positioned the Surface line as being a premium line... premium hardware, premium price. That isn't working out too well.

For years MS fans have been claiming that Apple's devices are overpriced boutique items that cater more to image than to value. So now here comes Microsoft producing devices that cost as much if not more than Apple alternatives. So Microsoft is attempting to do the boutique thing too, except they don't have the track record to pull it off.

Where is the market for a Surface Mini? Who would buy a Surface Mini running Windows RT priced at $349? Or a Surface Mini running Windows x86 for $399? (assuming that those were the price points... they could actually be higher) Especially when 8" tabs like the Dell Venue 8 Pro regularly sell between $200-$250.

I think that Microsoft is also holding back on some Surface announcements waiting to see what Apple announces in June.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

The screen is only 216 dpi, so pass. That is too low resolution for my eyes if I'm going to use it for reading PDFs and eBooks or a lot of web pages.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Other than a clamshell iPad (iBook?) Zdnet is speculating on, there shouldn't be any droolworthy game changers coming our way the rest of the year.
It wouldn't be a game changer, but there might be a Macbook Air with Retina screen. It won't have touch though. I would like a Macbook Air Retina more than this MS dribble. MS lost my business with WinCaca 8.x. Yuk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
For years MS fans have been claiming that Apple's devices are overpriced boutique items that cater more to image than to value. So now here comes Microsoft producing devices that cost as much if not more than Apple alternatives. So Microsoft is attempting to do the boutique thing too, except they don't have the track record to pull it off.
This Surface Pro 3 is definitely over priced big time. Except for the stylus based touchscreen, I see nothing to attract me. I can get a better device in a Macbook Pro for the same or less money.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #29
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This Surface Pro 3 is definitely over priced big time. Except for the stylus based touchscreen, I see nothing to attract me. I can get a better device in a Macbook Pro for the same or less money.
Yes, and you can get a better device in a standard Windows laptop for less money than an Macbook Air. Lightweight performance costs money. Always has, always will. The SP3 is priced appropriately for what it is.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Jack, are you certain there will be a 13" rMBA? I used to think so but the 13" rMBP is noticeably converging on the 13" MBA's weight and battery life. I still chose the MBA myself, for a little less weight and a bit more battery life. A friend of mine with similar needs chose the rMBP. If Apple can take another step closer to the MBA then the next rMBP can stand alone in the product lineup at the 13" size.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote