Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
"What Was the First Book that Made You Love Books?"

In today's I Love My Kindle, Bufo Calvin cites a Publisher's Weekly story that asks that question.

Calvin's response is right on:“What was the first air that made you want to breathe air?”

I can recall vividly when reading all of a sudden Made Sense to me - don't recall my age, probably kindergarten or first grade. It was a picture of a black cat, with the letters C-A-T under it. When I connected those letters with the picture with the sound "cat", it was an almost audible click in my mind, and I thought to myself "now no one can hide secrets from me, ever again!" (and I've been a research freak ever since, too).

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-15-2013 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Fixed thread title.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that first book was a Dick and Jane book - I could care less about Dick and Jane, but I loved that cat.

Once reading made sense to me, I read everything I could get my hands on, but they were mostly stories and escape fiction - lots of mysteries and science fiction.

In high school, I read the short story Leaf By Niggle by JRR Tolkein - that affected me for weeks after.

Another book that profoundly affected me was All The King's Men, which I read as a freshman in college. I remember the shock and depression that followed, as I realized that my parents had lied to me for all these years about what motivates politics and politicians.
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The first books I remember were Little Golden Books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
In truth, I don't remember.

I can remember walking to our neighborhood branch library at 10 by myself in the dead of Winter (yes, uphill both ways in snow drifts higher than me) to find something to read. But that was 53 years ago, so that initial connection came even earlier and is an even dimmer memory.

That was before Springfield closed the branches and forced everyone to go to the central downtown facility. I feel sorry for kids, now. They have to wait for someone to take them to the library. And if they don't, then, Oh well, kids don't need the feeling of being able to take destiny into their own hands anyway.

Maybe, the high availability of free ebooks available for download makes up for it a bit. Kids CAN find stuff to read for free but this system lacks the basic filtering I think we want children's reading material to have.

Also, it seems a shame to place this burden on the backs of authors while allowing our institutions to skirt this traditional obligation.

Maybe Mobileread could have a download section exclusively for young people. Made up of Public Domain and author donated books for non adults? Lots of logistical issues to resolve, but what better place to try and instill a love for books and ideas in children than here?

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 04-14-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: additional brilliance to share. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not remember either. As far back as I can remember I have always read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
It was probably a cereal box. Riboflavin is a great word.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The first books I remember were Little Golden Books.
Yes - those and the Golden Nature Guides (full of bugs, dinosaurs, etc.)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
"Tell Me Why" by Arkady Leokum, but I was already reading a lot. I read this over and over and over.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The first book I actually read for myself, instead of having read out to me, was a Little Golden Book, Scuffy the Tugboat, by Gertrude Crampton and illustrated by Tibor Gergely.

The reason I can quote the writer and illustrator is because, some years ago in a second-hand bookshop, I spotted a mint copy, and in a burst of nostalgia, I bought it. I still have it.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I never ever decided to love anything or anybody. This simply happens.

I love reading since I was a kid but I don't think that any special book did the trick.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
As a kid I really loved animals and the outdoors, so mostly any books about that. Probably my earliest favorite was Wait till the Moon is Full by Margaret Wise Brown.

It's a story about a baby raccoon who begs his mother to go outside - again and again - and his mother always says "Wait till the moon is full". It had really great pictures of the animals in the forest that made the story real.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I've always been an avid reader but the Doctor who series stand out, especially the ones by Terrance Dicks.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The Ghost of Opalina or Nine Lives by Peggy Bacon
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It was probably a cereal box. Riboflavin is a great word.
I thought you got more, character-wise, from Niacin.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard

It's the deep, interpersonal relationship between the secondary additives that really makes this cereal box.