Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I have been using embedded fonts on my PRST1 and I have been using the generic font-family name rather than the specific for the labels, i.e.
Code:
@font-face {font-family: serif; ... etc}
body {font-family: serif; ... etc}
rather than
Code:
@font-face {font-family: "Charis"; ... etc}
body {font-family: "Charis"; ... etc}
I have noticed that the PRST1's font override feature DOES work if you do it this way.

Given that the PRST1's font override feature is less than satisfactory (unpredictable loss of italics/bold) I am rather glad that embedded fonts do work correctly.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-29-2011 at 10:07 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly - that was precisely my point. By all means use embedded fonts for such things as titles, but please, Mr. Publisher, leave the choice of body font to the reader.
But that's how it's done. Why do you think it's a forcing of an embedded font on the reader? I would think it's harder to override an embedded font if it's placed in all the different paragraph styles. When you look at the default ADE font, you find that it's not all that nice. It has fake italics that in the serif body font doesn't look nice.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that's how it's done. Why do you think it's a forcing of an embedded font on the reader? I would think it's harder to override an embedded font if it's placed in all the different paragraph styles. When you look at the default ADE font, you find that it's not all that nice. It has fake italics that in the serif body font doesn't look nice.
I certainly wasn't suggesting that it be placed in the paragraph styles. What I was saying is that I don't personally like forcing a body font on the user AT ALL.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Harry, I think you are probably right, although it depends on the reader of course. Certainly Kobo has chosen to override a 'body' choice; I'm not sure what my new Sony T1 does yet.
In my opinion, having the publisher force a font choice on the user removes one of the nicer features of ebooks. I think the user, not the publisher and not the ereader maker, should have the choice of body font. I'm a hopeless idealist.
Kobo has created a serious bug and they refuse to fix it. Most publishers and people who create ePub with embedded fonts use the body style to put the main font-family declaration. That won't work on any Kobo eink reader and it's a bug they've been told about and refuse to fix. Kobo users are likely to get a lesser reading experience when the ePub has an embedded font.

The new Star Wars eBooks all have an embedded font and yet Kobo will not display it at all.

As for forcing, it's not forcing a font on the user.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I certainly wasn't suggesting that it be placed in the paragraph styles. What I was saying is that I don't personally like forcing a body font on the user AT ALL.
It's not forcing. You have it all wrong. Besides, if the reader allows one to change the base font, then that embedded font should be changeable. And you may end up liking the font used. But please don't call it forced. It's not.
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
And you may end up liking the font used. But please don't call it forced. It's not.
Very strenuously recommended (and difficult to change without deconstruction), then?

There's two things in an ebook that should never be hard-coded: Normal body-text fonts, and normal body-text sizes.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Very strenuously recommended (and difficult to change without deconstruction), then?

There's two things in an ebook that should never be hard-coded: Normal body-text fonts, and normal body-text sizes.
I would agree except in the case where the book requires characters that are not in the default map it may be needed, particularly for some languages.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe
I would agree except in the case where the book requires characters that are not in the default map it may be needed, particularly for some languages.
I can see that necessity, of course.
I should never say never, I guess.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I wouldn't say it's needed. For readers that allow setting the text font it's the same situation, because the user can always choose a font with the appropriate glyph coverage. It's only "needed" to work around a "feature" in some readers, that force a default font on you.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
absolutely +1 on that
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #26
khin99
MHK99
khin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: prs 505, nook color, Kindle Fire, Nexus 7
Foreign language embedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
absolutely +1 on that
Absolutely +3
khin99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, embed, epub, fonts, sigil