Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Obviously, my PID is 4163, and the revision 0326. Bought in Australia. Doesn't load the Japan versions.

I'd also like to see the Touch's Factory Reset firmware version, which is the version installed at the factory.

My Factory Reset firmware version is: 1.9.11
That is good idea. My Touch has the same ids, factory installed firmware and won't install the Japanese 2.1.1 firmware. Based on a discussion I have had elsewhere, the factory installed firmware version might be the key.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #17
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
a) your device ID and version number,
idProduct 0x4163
bcdDevice 3.26

I bought the Touch in California. I have only ever used it in New Zealand though.
I did the update to 2.0.0 over Wifi. That installed fine, but had slow page turns, wrong covers, and poor sideloaded font support.

I installed the 2.1.1 (r42411, 8/24/12) using USB. That install went fine too. Page turn speed fast again. Still has wrong covers bug, and poor sideloaded font support.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'd also like to see the Touch's Factory Reset firmware version, which is the version installed at the factory.

My Factory Reset firmware version is: 1.9.11
I don't actually know mine as I've never (!) had to do a factory reset. I can't seem to be able to find it in the device information either. But I think it's the same as yours if I remember correctly from when I got it in December 2011...

Is there another way to find out the factory installed firmware other than resetting?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-08-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: added question
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Is there another way to find out the factory installed firmware other than resetting?
I don't know.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
I hope this helps.

a) Device ID: 4163 Rev: 326

b) I bought it in Canada and have done all my updates from Canada.

c) I updated to 2.0.0 over WiFi without any problems, but I did wait for the re-release of it. I can't remember what the factory version was.

d) I think all my issues have been reported.
- Slow page turns on side-loaded books. Kepubs are fine.
- Wrong book cover.
- Much slower start-up from power-off state.
- Font size is different between side-loaded books and kepubs. The font size in side-loaded books is much smaller.
- Word select seems slower.

The most annoying things to me about version 2 is the slow start-up and page turns. Shelves are nice, but if I'd known that I would have to give up performance to get them, I would have said "No thanks.
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Wow, thanks for all the responses! It makes the thread worthwhile.

Murg and davidfor - yes, we did work this out earlier. I put the initial post up in a bit of a hurry last night, and forgot about the device manager solution. Murg - do you mind if I cut and paste your instructions into the original post, please? Credit will be given, of course.

RJCroy - thanks for the Linux instructions. Could I put them in the original post, too? Same comment as above re: credit.

The idea about factory reset firmware is good. I mentioned it for completeness yesterday when posting about mine, but it certainly is a very useful thing to know. As Mrs_Often asked, does anyone know of a way to find out the factory firmware. Is it in the database anywhere, for instance?

GvilleBridge - I'm glad you got your Touch and Calibre talking to each other.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 09-08-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post

RJCroy - thanks for the Linux instructions. Could I put them in the original post, too? Same comment as above re: credit.
Of course! Please do.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
a) PID 4163 REV 0110
b) Germany
c) Came with 1.9.12, up to 1.9.17 via desktop, manually down to 1.9.16, up to 2.0 via desktop, manually to 2.01 and 2.11, no problems with any of the updates
d) just the usual problems, right now (2.11) nothing worth mentioning except the screensaver bug. On 1.9.17 missing top border, on 1.9.16/17 sometimes unresponsible until turned off, pretty slow with everything. On 2.0 slow page turns and screen saver bug

Last edited by WS64; 09-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
a) PID 4163 REV 0110
b) Germany
c) Came with 1.9.12, up to 1.9.17 via desktop, manually down to 1.9.16, up to 2.0 via desktop, manually to 2.01 and 2.11, no problems with any of the updates
d) just the usual problems, right now (2.11) nothing worth mentioning except the screensaver bug. On 1.9.17 missing top border, on 1.9.16/17 sometimes unresponsible until turned off, pretty slow with everything. On 2.0 slow page turns and screen saver bug
Interesting. The same ID/rev numbers as mine, and that is a similar report (though I missed 1.9.17)
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #25
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Murg - do you mind if I cut and paste your instructions into the original post, please?
Go for it.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #26
murg
No Comment

What I'm finding interesting is that the 0110 revision has a later factory firmware than some of the 0326 revisions (1.9.12 v. 1.9.11).
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #27
murg
No Comment

More stuff to check: On the device, there is a file : \.kobo\version

The contents of my file is: KG3192300000B,2.6.35.3,2.0.0,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000310
(with the serial number obscured)

The first field is the serial number of the device.
The third field is the version of the firmware

In all three versions of the firmware I've loaded (1.9.11, 1.9,17, 2.0.0), only the firmware version number (field 3) has changed.

The questions:
  • Does anyone have a serial number that doesn't start with KG3? Does anyone have a serial number that starts with KG32?
  • What letters do people have as the last character of the serial number (mine is B).
  • I have 2.6.35.3 for the 2nd, 4th and 5th fields. Does anyone have different? or not the same number in all 3 fields?
  • In the last field, I have 310, does anyone have something different?
And, while I think of it, does anyone who managed to get 2.0.2 or 2.1.1 installed, NOT have wifi enabled during the update process?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My wife and I both have an A as the last character of the serial #

Apart from that, every backup I have taken is identical; 2.6.35.3 in 2nd, 4th and 5th field.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles

b) an indication of the country you bought the Touch and where you did the update(s),

Australia (ordered from Angus and Robertson online December 2011). Stayed in Australia ever since.

c) whether you did it via Kobo Desktop, wifi, or by downloading and installing yourself, and

I think I've tried all three, and on varying base configurations (from 1.9.17 with books in database, from factory reset, from factory reset with bare 1.9.17 upgrade in place).

d) whether you have had any difficulties or changes in device behaviour not announced by Kobo as part of the updates since 2.0.0., and, if you did, what they were/are. These include, but are not limited to, failed updates, slow page turns, displaying the wrong book cover ... the list is quite long!

I'm one of the people which the initial (now withdrawn) 2.0.0 upgrade failed on, semibricking the device. I also am unable to install the newer Japanese firmware. The current official 2.0.0 upgrade installs now, but sideloaded epub pageturns are too slow for me, so I've downgraded to 1.9.17 and switched Wifi off.

e) In addition, if you know the firmware version it came with from the factory that would be useful.

---

Does anyone have a serial number that doesn't start with KG3? Does anyone have a serial number that starts with KG32?

KG31 here.

What letters do people have as the last character of the serial number (mine is B).

B

I have 2.6.35.3 for the 2nd, 4th and 5th fields. Does anyone have different? or not the same number in all 3 fields?

same here

In the last field, I have 310, does anyone have something different?

Same.

Last edited by meeera; 09-09-2012 at 01:15 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post

b) an indication of the country you bought the Touch and where you did the update(s),

Australia (ordered from Angus and Robertson online December 2011). Stayed in Australia ever since.

c) whether you did it via Kobo Desktop, wifi, or by downloading and installing yourself, and

I think I've tried all three, and on varying base configurations (from 1.9.17 with books in database, from factory reset, from factory reset with bare 1.9.17 upgrade in place).

d) whether you have had any difficulties or changes in device behaviour not announced by Kobo as part of the updates since 2.0.0., and, if you did, what they were/are. These include, but are not limited to, failed updates, slow page turns, displaying the wrong book cover ... the list is quite long!

I'm one of the people which the initial (now withdrawn) 2.0.0 upgrade failed on, semibricking the device. I also am unable to install the newer Japanese firmware. The current official 2.0.0 upgrade installs now, but sideloaded epub pageturns are too slow for me, so I've downgraded to 1.9.17 and switched Wifi off.

e) In addition, if you know the firmware version it came with from the factory that would be useful.

---

Does anyone have a serial number that doesn't start with KG3? Does anyone have a serial number that starts with KG32?

KG31 here.

What letters do people have as the last character of the serial number (mine is B).

B

I have 2.6.35.3 for the 2nd, 4th and 5th fields. Does anyone have different? or not the same number in all 3 fields?

same here

In the last field, I have 310, does anyone have something different?

Same.
Based on everything else about your specs, are you sure of the original firmware version? Other than place of purchase (OfficeWorks for me) it matches perfectly with mine. From memory, when I first plugged mine in, it did an upgrade to 1.9.14. 1.9.16 became available a week or so later. I only discovered it because after everyone in the house played with mine I bought my wife one for Christmas and it was loaded on when she connected it. I did a factory reset last week, so I checked the firmware level then.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote