Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
JRAWKER
Connoisseur
JRAWKER began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
Road to Reality by Roger Penrose

I HIGHLY doubt this is available in an ebook (I own the print version) but at over 1,000 pages its quite the tome to schlep.

Anybody have it/know where to find it?
JRAWKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I checked Amazon and it appears that the book is published by Random House. Both, Vintage (publisher for the softcover) and Knopf (publisher of the hardcover), are Random House sublabels. Since we know that Sony has close ties to Random House, it should be possible, at least theoratically, that this one will be released as an e-book one day.

Of course I don't have a clue about RH's policy for deciding which book gets digitized.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
JRAWKER
Connoisseur

Aww c'mon guys, I've even seen .lrf versions floating around on here.

Can someone send a copy to me?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry JRAWKER, but we don't support passing around illegal copies on this site. We sure do share your frustration, though, about not being able to get e-book versions of some titles. That situation should improve over time. At least we hope so.

In the meantime, if you are really desperate, you could take a look at something like this.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
hi,

in a somewhat related thread on TeleRead I've learned that in Australia it is legal to obtain electronic versions of books that one already owns on paper.
So if JAWKER is living in Australia we could help him.

btw
1., linking to anything is legal
2., pirated ebooks will help ebook reader device sales
they will aslo help wake up publishers
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
JRAWKER
Connoisseur

Gah! PM anybody?

Edit: I found a pdf version, but PDFasfsdfsdft doesn't seem to do much to correct its legibility on the reader. (I'm running the latest version)

this sucks. lol

Last edited by JRAWKER; 02-19-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
PDFtoHTML?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Hi

you need an OCR. Try Zamzar.com
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
JRAWKER
Connoisseur

What good will pdf to html do for me?

I have acrobat professional 8.0, btw.

Last edited by JRAWKER; 02-20-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If your PDF file consists of text, PDFtoHTML could convert it to a non-PDF format, which might render better on the Reader. Acrobat Professional can likely do this as well. However, if your PDF file consists of page images, you'd need OCR.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
JRAWKER
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
Hi

you need an OCR. Try Zamzar.com

Okay, I converted it from pdf to html on zamzar. The output files were either an html or a TON of jpegs....but it's missing all the text in the pictures.

What am I supposed to do now?

edit: I'd ideally like to ultimately size this so that it fits on the reader.

Last edited by JRAWKER; 02-21-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sounds like it's been rasterized and doesn't contain any embedded fonts/text. Your best bet with this is two-pronged:

a) run an OCR program against the 1000+ page PDF and hope for the best. This will take quite a long time and if the PDF has a lot of images, will be a major PITA.

b) use PDFRasterfarian on it to have the pages formated to the right size for the Reader and does all its graphic enhancements to the PDF to make it optimal for the Reader. This will cut the final size of the book considerably; I've noticed a 30-60% reduction in size from the original PDF when converted to LRF.

Good luck!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
JRAWKER
Connoisseur

I used ABBYY finereader on the pdf and then ran it through PDFRasterfarian. It now displays...but it hasn't resized the file so that its readable. It currently shows a full 8.5x11 page in TINY text and whenever I zoom in, it cuts off the bottom of the page.

Anyone know what the problem is/what to do about it?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #14
JRAWKER
Connoisseur

Anybody? :/