Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: depending on dictionary,page turn speed,sleep modes, charge while reading, problems
love it! 30 61.22%
hate it! 1 2.04%
its okay 10 20.41%
like it but have some problems with it (please post) 3 6.12%
indifferent 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
[B]who likes the 1.8 update for the kobo [/B]

I'm pretty happy with it the only problem i have is that my preloaded books are now broken but i love the faster page turns and the sleep mode adjustment don't care much for the dictionary though

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-16-2010 at 11:30 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
auriel
Enthusiast
auriel began at the beginning.

Device: Black Original Kobo; iPad 2; Black Kobo Touch
I like that I can now read newspapers, and that I can have the cover show when it's powered off again. What I don't like though, is the fact that just dragging and dropping an epub file no longer works, and that I have to use Calibre and the Kobo app to load my books instead.
auriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Auriel: You should also be able to use ADE to load ePubs. Since I use library books and the occasional Sony store ePub, I was already using ADE.

I have two bookshelves, Kobo and nonKobo. The Kobo ones just store my K-purchased books for backup, the nonKobo get copied to the device. I wish I could print a list of books on each shelf - I've just discovered the "manifest.xml" file, which looks like I can get that information from in text format.

[Having said that, I was waiting for Adobe to authorize my device so I haven't actually used it in 1.8. Checking my email I see they have "done the needful for the activation of [my] ADE". This was sent at 4:29 AM EST. Maybe they're not in North America?]
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I should mention what I like: power-off OFF option, cover when sleep, seems faster on page turn (though I didn't mind the speed before).

I was looking forward to the dictionary but it's really not that useful - only for kepubs, doesn't seem to recognize past tense, plural, and no option to select just part of the word in that case. Slow to come up and the font is TINY. Whoever designed that must not be over 40 and need reading glasses. Should be able to push left/DPad as well as back button to dismiss. Navigation to required word is fine though.

I am finding that Dpad button clicks may be missed more than previously, even when I can hear the click. I can't see how this can be a software issue, though. This might just be because I'm doing a lot more with the menu items, setting things up and exploring options, than when I was just reading books; but my feeling is that navigation is slower and doesn't always recognize clicks.

[Oh and my ADE is now working. Phew.]
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I like the new firmware. I'm enjoying having my book covers back while it's off. The faster page turns are great. The margins are better. I'm a bit disappointed by the dictionary not working on plural words. I have yet to try newspapers but I'm thinking about it. Overall, it's much better. I was one of the licky ones that didn't need to reauthorize ADE, it worked right away, but I did have to replace my db. I can't wait for the calibre release.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
ahrg i just tried to read a library book on my kobo and now it wont work, it keeps saying locked content does anyone else have this problem
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
did you re authorize your kobo in ADE? if you are going to read a library book you will have to re authorize.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
Kashirigi
Kashirigi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My Kobo is not showing any content of any kind, including their 100 books. I'm so glad I upgraded; I needed another doorstop.

Sadly, I should have known better than to upgrade given Kobo's record.
Kashirigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Just a reminder, the instructions for fixing update problems are here in the thread on the installation of 1.8.1. I'm a huge Kobo fan, but for many of us, the update has been a bit of a gong show, for sure. Fortunately MR folks seem to have worked it out together!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Probably worth mentioning that some ,not all, but some of the problems seem to be related to side loaded books and corrupt DB files that have little to do with the kobo update. I know I painlessly updated 2 kobos but the third one was a bit of a pain for some reason
Old 12-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
Probably worth mentioning that some ,not all, but some of the problems seem to be related to side loaded books and corrupt DB files that have little to do with the kobo update. I know I painlessly updated 2 kobos but the third one was a bit of a pain for some reason
Actually they have everything to do with the update IMO. I had a meltdown on the beta forum when I discovered the USB update neither validated DB integrity nor upgraded it to kepub format. Had we beta testers been given the opportunity to fully test the USB upgrade path, I think many if not most of the issues would have been caught.

Turns out there are technical reasons why kepub conversion wasn't possible, but I did give the devs an alternative method for next go-around.

Live and learn...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
baronrus
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Actually they have everything to do with the update IMO. I had a meltdown on the beta forum when I discovered the USB update neither validated DB integrity nor upgraded it to kepub format. Had we beta testers been given the opportunity to fully test the USB upgrade path, I think many if not most of the issues would have been caught.

Turns out there are technical reasons why kepub conversion wasn't possible, but I did give the devs an alternative method for next go-around.

Live and learn...

when you say 'they have everything to do with the update' are you referring to the sideloaded books or the kobo team?
Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
I'm pretty indifferent, actually. I'm mostly just glad the thing still works after upgrading!
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
when you say 'they have everything to do with the update' are you referring to the sideloaded books or the kobo team?
I meant the database problems many experienced with upgrading.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Stuart_L
Stuart_L began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, EeePC w/ FBReader
<edited> was off topic

Last edited by Stuart_L; 12-20-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Stuart_L is offline   Reply With Quote