Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
MobileRead Book Club: Future books

Hi All,

The "official" book schedule would have us pick a book for Feb:

February
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)

I was wondering what people thought about rather than doing more nomination/vote threads we just picked the top 3 (non-winner) voted books from December and January votes and just slotted them in for the next 6 months. The books would be:

Feb:
"The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells (This was actually top three in both votes)

Mar
Three Men In A Boat - Jerome K Jerome

Apr
"1632" by Eric Flint

May
The Man Who Was Thursday - G. K. Chesterton

Jun
"Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson

Jul
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Of course, order isn't important. Just let me know what you think. If most don't agree to this I would be happy to start a nomination thread for Feb book next Monday.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
That sounds like a good idea to me.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Time Machine isn't contemporary and thus, doesn't fit in.

Personally, I'd rather go with nominating and voting like we have been. That seems to work best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Time Machine isn't contemporary and thus, doesn't fit in.
Well yea. That's part of why I was asking... I know these books don't (may not) fit into the previously established categories.

We could move 1623 up to Feb. It is contemporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I'd rather go with nominating and voting like we have been. That seems to work best.
Ok.

Hmm... maybe I should have made this topic a poll.

BOb
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Hmm... maybe I should have made this topic a poll.

BOb
Personally, I think whatever you decide would be okay. These are all great books, and they deserve to be read, or re-read.

The mantle of responsibility rests heavy, doesn't it??
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
The mantle of responsibility rests heavy, doesn't it??
You guys are the navigators. I'm just driving the bus. Tell me where to turn, and I'll do it... (as long as it's not into a lake).

BOb
Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Looks like all the books in the original post won't actually work given what's to go for what months.

February
MobileRead Contemporary (can be any genre, but must be contemporary and must be available in our library)

March
Nonfiction (can be from anywhere, including our library)

April
MobileRead Author (must be a book from an author who frequents MobileRead)

May
Horror (can be from anywhere, including our library)

June
MobileRead Classic

July
Humor (can be from anywhere, including our library)

August
MobileRead Contemporary

September
Mystery (can be from anywhere, including our library)

October
MobileRead Author
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't know, I like the fact that the book club will get me into new genres.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #9
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I enjoy following the nomination process - seeing what books get nominated, and the little flurries of discussion that ensue, is very informative.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am very much in favour of sticking with the original "plan". There's nothing to stop anyone opening a discussion thread on their favourite book even if it didn't "win" a poll.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Is there a simple way to identify "MobileRead Contemporary" books in the upload section? Searching for creative commons is the best I could come up with.

If an ebook has been released under creative commons presumably it could be uploaded here if this has not yet been done.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
I'd rather stay with nominating and voting.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote