Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #631
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hmm even I didn't notice it has more weight! I've been thinking about this....why on earth would they want the default fonts to show up lighter than it's actually weight? It makes no sense!

The K4 has the same problem. Possibly the K3 too...
Sorry Blossom, the first image with the heavier weight is the built-in font and the lighter weight is the built-in font renamed. I should have labelled the screenshots better for you.

The way the fonts are handled is annoying coming from the Sony 650 where you can manage the fonts easier and more transparently.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #632
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What line spacing issue does Charis SIL suffer from? With ADE, I like the tight spacing. It works very well. Also, when I modified the other metrics, it works well on a Kindle.
Default Charis SIL line spacing is horrible. I don't know why the people who made the font hasn't fixed it? Gentium does not have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Blossom, I need some help. I need to know if increasing Typo Line Gap and Line Gap in a font's metrics makes a difference on a Kindle in both KF8 and Mobi. My larger Charis SIL doesn't work in ADE without increasing the gaps. But I need to know if the line space is affected in KF8 & Mobi on a Kindle. Thanks.
Typo Line Gap in a KF8 does affect line spacing.
In a Mobi Book Typo Line Gap does nothing.
Line Gap doesn't seem to do anything in KF8 or Mobi.

I did discover something else while testing.
Fonts with numbers in their name wont work on a KF8 it must be all letters. It works fine on a mobi book but not a KF8.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-18-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #633
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Sorry Blossom, the first image with the heavier weight is the built-in font and the lighter weight is the built-in font renamed. I should have labelled the screenshots better for you.

The way the fonts are handled is annoying coming from the Sony 650 where you can manage the fonts easier and more transparently.
I see it now. When I saw unmodified I though you meant the default version. It's easy enough to mod the font to your liking but the line spacing is a issue. They will never match each other.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #634
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I have played around with the Caecilia font that I extracted from the KPW. As noted already, the KPW itself modifies the Caecilia font using some behind the scenes style sheet giving it more weight and and increased line gap.

I have added weight to the font to increase its readability at smaller sizes and where the frontlight is used at higher levels.

I am not using Font Creator since there is no version for the Mac, but have Fontographer and added 60 em to the fonts. I tried playing around with separately modifying the vertical and horizontal weights, but ended up with results that were unsightly and very hard to fix properly for the KPW.

For technical details:
-the extracted Caecilia has a WeightRatio = 7.21
-modified Caecilia has a WeightRatio = 5.78
-extracted bold Caecilia has a WeightRatio = 6.21
-modified Caecilia has a WeightRatio = 5.1

I have also modified some of the glyphs individually after weighting to improve readability at smaller sizes. For example, the "r" often touched the edges of other glyphs like "n", which could be confused with "m"

I actually like the smaller line gap that resulted from the extracted Caecilia fonts so I did not have to change that at all.

It was interesting with the line gap changes, that the heavier weighted Caecilia at size 3 shows just as many words as the built-in Caecilia at size 2.

Legend for attached photos:
Built-in Caecilia font that comes with PW at size 2 = Caecilia_Size2.png
Extracted Caecilia font that is NOT altered in any way at size 2 = CaeciliaExtracted_Size2.png
Modified Caecilia font at size 2 = CaeciliaMod_Size2.png
Modified Caecilia font at size 3 = CaeciliaMod_Size3.png
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caecilia_Size2.png
Views:	375
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	101517   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaExtracted_Size2.png
Views:	278
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	101518   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaMod_Size2.png
Views:	357
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	101519   Click image for larger version

Name:	CaeciliaMod_Size3.png
Views:	304
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	101520  

Last edited by slantybard; 02-18-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #635
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Does anyone know if font kerning is properly displayed on the KPW in AWZ3 formatted books? I tried searching for this answer, but did not find one and I don't want to spend time fixing up the kerning of my modified fonts if it is not supported.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #636
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Does anyone know if font kerning is properly displayed on the KPW in AWZ3 formatted books? I tried searching for this answer, but did not find one and I don't want to spend time fixing up the kerning of my modified fonts if it is not supported.
I'm going to say yes because every time Amazon's updates the default fonts they add more kern pairs.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #637
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
That's way beyond my level of competence. I'll just stick with what I've got. oh, well. I'd rather have the fonts list limited to fonts I'll actually use, but I guess I have to have the whole USE_ALT_FONTS list showing to get my custom fonts to be available.
Not really. If you don't mind installing KUAL, then I can write 2 buttons for it: one button to (partially) hide the extra fonts, and the other to restore to default. There will be no need to mess with usbnetwork.

If that sounds easy enough, then I will go start working on that. Going to take a bit of work, as hiding all fonts is not the best solution for everybody. I myself have all extra fonts hidden except MT Chinese Surrogate - that one is quite nice as a builtin non-fancy san-serif font with bigger weight.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #638
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not really. If you don't mind installing KUAL, then I can write 2 buttons for it: one button to (partially) hide the extra fonts, and the other to restore to default. There will be no need to mess with usbnetwork.

If that sounds easy enough, then I will go start working on that. Going to take a bit of work, as hiding all fonts is not the best solution for everybody. I myself have all extra fonts hidden except MT Chinese Surrogate - that one is quite nice as a builtin non-fancy san-serif font with bigger weight.
Now you are really tempting me to jailbreak!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #639
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Quote:
I'm going to say yes because every time Amazon's updates the default fonts they add more kern pairs.
I have kerned my Caecilia modified font and it does not change how the test is displayed in an AZW3 formatted book (with no publisher fonts - I ran it through calibre).

Below are two screenshots. The first is with no kerning set and the second is with manual kerning. In particular, I changed the "wr" and "ri" to have a kern value of 100 to see if it changed the word "wrinkled".

I have restarted my KPW so many times today playing with the modified Caecilia font.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caecilia60wt50spM1K.png
Views:	275
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	101524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caecilia60wt50spM1K2.png
Views:	279
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	101525  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #640
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I have kerned my Caecilia modified font and it does not change how the test is displayed in an AZW3 formatted book (with no publisher fonts - I ran it through calibre).

Below are two screenshots. The first is with no kerning set and the second is with manual kerning. In particular, I changed the "wr" and "ri" to have a kern value of 100 to see if it changed the word "wrinkled".

I have restarted my KPW so many times today playing with the modified Caecilia font.....
Okay well that's good to know. Perhaps it doesn't work on a custom fonts.

I have lost count how many times I've restarted my PW since I got it.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #641
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Default Charis SIL line spacing is horrible. I don't know why the people who made the font hasn't fixed it? Gentium does not have this problem.

Typo Line Gap in a KF8 does affect line spacing.
In a Mobi Book Typo Line Gap does nothing.
Line Gap doesn't seem to do anything in KF8 or Mobi.

I did discover something else while testing.
Fonts with numbers in their name wont work on a KF8 it must be all letters. It works fine on a mobi book but not a KF8.
Because I've had to modify Typo Line Gap and Line Gap for ADE, I'll need to adjust the other values so the Charis SIL Larger versions will work both with the Kindle and ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #642
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Now you are really tempting me to jailbreak!
Me, too!!!
@Duckietiger, can you make just ONE button that does the jailbreaking and the font removal? Sigh... Just dreaming.....
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #643
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:

I should learn to read... I kept going back and forth looking for a difference, and couldn't spot one. So I finally downloaded the images and ran them through a diff program and found them to be IDENTICAL other than the location text. Then I re-read the text. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #644
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Me, too!!!
@Duckietiger, can you make just ONE button that does the jailbreaking and the font removal? Sigh... Just dreaming.....
No, unfortunately not. The button requires to be already jailbroke. When I went through the config files yesterday, I found a loophole to possibly bypass the requirement of jailbreak. First quick test was unfortunately not successful, will keep digging deeper on that angle.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #645
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No, unfortunately not. The button requires to be already jailbroke. When I went through the config files yesterday, I found a loophole to possibly bypass the requirement of jailbreak. First quick test was unfortunately not successful, will keep digging deeper on that angle.
OMG, you'd totally be 'da man if you managed to figure out a way to give us complete font freedom minus jailbreak!!!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote