Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #616
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I have renamed the Caecilia font from the extracted PW fonts. I have made NO changes to the actual font. I added the new font as a custom font and took screenshots. The PW displays both fonts totally differently even though they are the same actual fonts.

(thanks for telling me this weird PW quirk Blossom)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PWCaeciliasize2.png
Views:	248
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	101494   Click image for larger version

Name:	UnmodifiedCaeciliasize2.png
Views:	289
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	101495  
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #617
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I have renamed the Caecilia font from the extracted PW fonts. I have made NO changes to the actual font. I added the new font as a custom font and took screenshots. The PW displays both fonts totally differently even though they are the same actual fonts.

(thanks for telling me this weird PW quirk Blossom)
Hmm even I didn't notice it has more weight! I've been thinking about this....why on earth would they want the default fonts to show up lighter than it's actually weight? It makes no sense!

The K4 has the same problem. Possibly the K3 too...

Last edited by Blossom; 02-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #618
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

While Blossom is happy with her weight, I find that a bit too heavy for me. But, at least it gives a choice. And soon there will be yet a third choice.
That's because you're not using a PW. If you was you would see how washed out the text becomes as you up the light. On Regular Kindle yes the weight is too much but on the PW in the dark it's perfect.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #619
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That's because you're not using a PW. If you was you would see how washed out the text becomes as you up the light. On Regular Kindle yes the weight is too much but on the PW in the dark it's perfect.
I was in Best Buy on Saturday and I did see the PW. The text was not actually black. It was a greyish color. The light does wash out the black.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #620
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Blossom sent me a font that is really, truly black, or so dark gray as to make no difference. It's very visible, very readable.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #621
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I was in Best Buy on Saturday and I did see the PW. The text was not actually black. It was a greyish color. The light does wash out the black.
Yep the default fonts are no where near black they are a greyish color. I can't even get the weighted fonts I modified to be black just a very dark grey. I think Palatino is my blackest font. It almost looks black. The higher the light settings, the lighter the text contrast.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-18-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #622
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Blossom sent me a font that is really, truly black, or so dark gray as to make no difference. It's very visible, very readable.
On my PW it's almost black but not quite. You should see it on my K4 it is truly black.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-18-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #623
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On my PW it's almost black but not quite. You should see it on my K4 it is truly black.
I've seen the heaver (heavier then mine) Charis SIL and it is quite dark on a Pearl screen with no front light.

What I want to know is how does the HD screen looks with no front light and no capacitance touch in front of the screen.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #624
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I finally decided to keep just 6 fonts. If was a tough decision but after two weeks of testing. I realized I would never use the Sans Serif fonts. So I got my full window back.

As you can see in the screen shot. Amasis XL, Gentium Book XL, Palatino Fixed, Caecilia Medium, Charis Fixed XL and Caecilia Small.

The only one I am not totally happy with is Caecilia Small it's needs to be taller. Maybe later I might try and fix that but I am happy with the fonts I chose to keep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_02_18T15_23_50-0501.png
Views:	347
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	101507  

Last edited by Blossom; 02-18-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #625
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm going to eventually have a go at Gentium SIL and see how I like it. I'll start off by making sure the line space is correct and use apply the same weight as I did to Charis SIL. If I like it, I'll fix it like I did Charis SIL.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #626
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I'm going to eventually have a go at Gentium SIL and see how I like it. I'll start off by making sure the line space is correct and use apply the same weight as I did to Charis SIL. If I like it, I'll fix it like I did Charis SIL.
You will find it doesn't suffer from the Line Spacing issue Charis does.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #627
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Sorry, JSWolf, but did I miss the final release of your mods to Charis? If so, do you mind posting the link again?

slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #628
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You will find it doesn't suffer from the Line Spacing issue Charis does.
What line spacing issue does Charis SIL suffer from? With ADE, I like the tight spacing. It works very well. Also, when I modified the other metrics, it works well on a Kindle.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #629
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Blossom, I need some help. I need to know if increasing Typo Line Gap and Line Gap in a font's metrics makes a difference on a Kindle in both KF8 and Mobi. My larger Charis SIL doesn't work in ADE without increasing the gaps. But I need to know if the line space is affected in KF8 & Mobi on a Kindle. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #630
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Sorry, JSWolf, but did I miss the final release of your mods to Charis? If so, do you mind posting the link again?

The only mods I can give to you now is the Modified and Compact set. The Larger sets are still in beta until I know if the changes needed so they work with ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) causes a problem on the Kindle.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Enjoy!