Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
R2P2
R2P2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Chapters has a pre-order page up. CAN$149.

There's a comparison page, too. Other than Wifi, the chart lists 16 level grey scale vs 8, and apparently there's a built in dictionary. Don't know how well that'll work without a keyboard...
R2P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #17
andre66
andre66 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 350
engadget reports that you can now pre-order it at borders, shipping starts nov.1. Looks like chapters will have it october 18th.

Last edited by andre66; 09-29-2010 at 07:25 AM.
andre66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2P2 View Post
apparently there's a built in dictionary. Don't know how well that'll work without a keyboard...
Well for looking up a word in the book you are currently reading, a touchscreen is just fine.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I cannot see them making inroads at $249 dollars (if it is priced similarly to the Cooler reader).

I wish they'd shoot for a sub 100 dollar 6 inch reader. The initial Kobo hype was what finally hooked me into getting a reader, and my ideal is still a 99 dollar version of the first reader that works a little better.
The new one is $149. I don't see anything about a touchscreen, it looks like it's the original device with wi-fi and a couple of small tweaks.

http://koboereader.com/
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I'll wait to see/hear how much the performance has really increased. The addition of WiFi really doesn't add that much, it's the power up and lag before page turning which irritates me.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #21
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2P2 View Post
Don't know how well that'll work without a keyboard...
I agree.

How do you find a book to download without being able to type the title/author/genre into the search bar? And if there's no keyboard/touchscreen, how to get onto the Kobo website, or any other website? Can this do everything the kindle 3 can do? If not, paying $149 isn't worth it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
This new one coming out has me intrigued enough to consider returning the one i just bought but like others have said how you will you be able to use the wifi if you can't type for a book search..

I have a feeling its going to be a feature where you'll have to browse through books to find the one you want with the button thingie to navigate.

What little i got out of the Pre-order site is that the wifi will just give the user access to the kobo site and little else (IMO) which could just just a preset option on the Kobo Menu option(?)

Last edited by terraskye; 09-29-2010 at 10:24 AM.
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #23
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
re:wifi
maybe it's only an easier way of getting books that you buy on your desktop pc to your kobo via wi-fi?
I'm still waiting for them to support my blackberry so I can use the bluetooth option.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #24
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
re:wifi
maybe it's only an easier way of getting books that you buy on your desktop pc to your kobo via wi-fi?
I'm still waiting for them to support my blackberry so I can use the bluetooth option.
That makes sense, and would explain the lack of keyboard/touchscreen.

I was hoping they would fix more of the issues with the 1st Kobo before releasing a 2nd though.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #25
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
That makes sense, and would explain the lack of keyboard/touchscreen.

I was hoping they would fix more of the issues with the 1st Kobo before releasing a 2nd though.
I hear you. I sent them a curt e-mail about that this morning. I'll likely get some lame response.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
I hear you. I sent them a curt e-mail about that this morning. I'll likely get some lame response.
Something like: We have upgraded your request to Level 2 and will get back to you in about 6-8 months
Old 09-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #27
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Something like: We have upgraded your request to Level 2 and will get back to you in about 6-8 months
don't forget signed "George"
Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #28
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
don't forget signed "George"
Damn that George!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #29
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Hmmm, if the new Kobo is basically the same except with wifi, a dictionary and a few tweaks could it be possible that firmware version 1.5 for the original Kobo could also include a dictionary? Or would that make it too similar to the new Kobo and potentially hurt sales? Originally not having a dictionary didn't really bother me, but it would be a nice addition (but not essential).

Just a thought.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #30
guerilla7
g33k | grappl3r
guerilla7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and FBReader on Droid X, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi Graphite coming soon
So many choices, still not decided what to get, hope a preview of this new Kobo shows up so I can finally decide...
guerilla7 is offline   Reply With Quote