Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
mtech
mtech began at the beginning.

Defective Screen - White line 1 cm from top

I just received my set today. Of all things, I've got a white line permanently on, about 1 cm from the top of the screen. I don't think this is normal. Instead of dead pixels, this is worse, a whole row of pixels always on.

I don't suppose this is normal. Anyone else have this problem?

--------------
First Set in Singapore.
mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech
I just received my set today. Of all things, I've got a white line permanently on, about 1 cm from the top of the screen. I don't think this is normal. Instead of dead pixels, this is worse, a whole row of pixels always on.

I don't suppose this is normal. Anyone else have this problem?
Not here. I've noticed no imperfections in the screen on my iLiad.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sorry to hear, mtech! Makes me wonder how high the failure rate is for E Ink based displays in general.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
mtech

The strange thing is that the white line has disappeared, but instead, there are a few patches of "dead pixels" - some white, some black - appearing at the top right hand corner.

This reminds me of the magnetic scratch pads children used to play with. I wonder if there is a utility to wipe the screen clean once and for all.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
petiteile
petiteile began at the beginning.

same

i have received my iliad today and i have the same problems
on the top left there is much dead pixel

i wait 5 weeks and i receive a damaged iliad
petiteile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech
I wonder if there is a utility to wipe the screen clean once and for all.
Multiple shutting on and off cycles should do the trick.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
mtech

I have taken a few shots of the problem.

Does anyone know whom I can call/email to get attention? Need figure out how to send it back to them for replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	694
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1390   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	668
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1391   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	697
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1392   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1393  
Old 08-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
you can phone their customer support, they then give you a ticket number for further communication by email.

Do you live in the US? There is an office for the US I think, european customer support is in Germany as far as I remember. I don't have the numer ready since I had to reinstall everything and didn't save my emails. Somebody ought to know, and there should be a number on the irex website or the irexshop site (you could try the iRex forums too).

i hope you gt this fixed soon...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Check here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7276

+49 5241 999 723
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Lightbulb

It sounds too bad.
I guess the capsules of E-ink at the edge range were damaged by some extra loading during ship.
Hope it can be repaired soon.

Last edited by segatang; 08-13-2006 at 10:10 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote