Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
This seems more a DRM support issue, for most of this thread.

I can't think of any devices that have DRM support, which support more than one
company's DRM format(s). That goes for music, video, or eBook. I can't picture the contractual arrangement that would allow for more than one.
Ken,

The nook supports Adobe Digital Editions and Ereader DRM (including Epub with same DRM Scheme from B&N).
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #32
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Apple came to dominate sales of mainstream recording house music, and their iPods have been highly profitable, but they do not and never have owned a majority share of the market.
Their iPods own a majority share of the market.
http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....g-ipod-market/
Quote:
The good news is that Apple's share of the MP3 player market has remained steady throughout this period (72% of unit sales in '05 and '06, 70% in '07). Moreover, on a dollar-share basis it has been growing, from 71% in '04 to 84% in 07. During the first month of iPod touch sales, Apple's dollar share hit an impressive 90%.

Last edited by kjk; 01-10-2010 at 05:19 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Ken,

The nook supports Adobe Digital Editions and Ereader DRM (including Epub with same DRM Scheme from B&N).
But the firmware is not really ready for prime time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Why do you say that?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #35
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Ken,

Interesting, does that include all ADE DRM or just that from the B&N companys (Fictionwise and eReader, included)? In other words will it
work with library ADE?

If so, that bodes well for Ectaco's efforts to bring their firmware into
full support of B&N DRM formats.

While I think this is still the device makers supporting one company's
DRM formats, it is an interesting development, and I hope a trend.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #36
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
The Apple computer still exists. I have several Amiga computers. Can't get parts for them though.
I am no Apple fanboi, believe me. My point was just that even though there are a multitude of choices for an electronic device, it does not mean that one manufacturer can't corner the market, especially when you tie together device and content so well, like iPods and iTunes or Kindles and the Kindle store.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #37
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I do hope that situation don't repeat itself.

Well, amazon won't get far until they move seriously on the international plan (That is, provide us with books from our own publishers, and add ePub support)
This has as much to do with international publishers getting on board. I'm starting to suspect that some international publishers are treating Amazon's forays into their markets with a certain amount of reluctance and suspicion, as they fear a loss of control in pricing and timing of releases. I'm sure Amazon would be happy to sell you whatever books you would like, whether the publishers want to do so through Amazon remains to be seen.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why do you say that?
Probably because it's true.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Probably because it's true.
I'm wondering about specifics. I've heard of what sound like minor issues, but nothing that is really a show-stopper. Maybe annoying but not unusable which is what I'd classify as not ready for prime time.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #40
MarkScheuern
MarkScheuern began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
And another article on that topic: What Defines an E-Reader? I tend to agree that an E-Ink or similarly readable display is a necessity.
MarkScheuern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I am mostly glad that I made my decision to get the Sony 900 a week and a half ago - well before all the CES annoucements - otherwise I'd be back to the drawing board with all the research to pick one again.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I am mostly glad that I made my decision to get the Sony 900 a week and a half ago - well before all the CES annoucements - otherwise I'd be back to the drawing board with all the research to pick one again.
I'd cancel the order if I were you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #43
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Interesting, does that include all ADE DRM or just that from the B&N companys (Fictionwise and eReader, included)? In other words will it work with library ADE?

Luck;
Ken
AFAIK both Sony and Nook work with local library ADE...
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'd cancel the order if I were you.
Well... why? You can't just make a statement like that and then walk away.

Why would you cancel the order for a Sony 900?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #45
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I agree Bob. Why?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote