Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
wmjoers
wmjoers began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you thing the PRS-300 will work in Sweden?

Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a Sony Reader Pocket Edition (PRS-300).

My problem is that it's not sold in Sweden. But by looking at the supported formats I belive it, despite not beeing available should work just fine.

Can you think of a reason for the PRS-300 not to work in Sweden?
Do you know an online store where I can buy one?

Best Regards
/John Eriksson
wmjoers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjoers View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a Sony Reader Pocket Edition (PRS-300).

My problem is that it's not sold in Sweden. But by looking at the supported formats I belive it, despite not beeing available should work just fine.

Can you think of a reason for the PRS-300 not to work in Sweden?
Do you know an online store where I can buy one?

Best Regards
/John Eriksson
Hi John. Yes, the PRS-300 should work just fine here in Sweden. If I am not totally out in the blue, I think the Sony Center in Stockholm sells it. At an outrageous price, but they do sell it. But if you want a 5 inch device, have you checked out the pocketbook 360? Or the BeBook mini?

Last edited by Slite; 12-08-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
wmjoers

Hmm.. I don't really know what to buy!

The NUUT is just to uggly and I can't find that many that is sold in Sweden.

I was thinking about Cybook Opus but there seemes to be a lot of problems with that according to some posts here at mobileread.

What would you recomend me to buy if I was perpered to spend around 2500-3000 skr and want it to work with epub and drm:ed pdf:s from elib.se? Screen size isn't really the most important thing.

Best regards
/John
Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use a BeBook one (the old 6 inch Hanlin V3 rebrand) and that works just fine with the books available through elib.se.

I assume you mean borrowing them from your local library that uses e-libs services?

So, I would say, there really is no device that is better or worse, as long as they are able to handle drm'ed Epubs which is the best choice of books available at elib.

It's a piece of cake to strip the DRM from the elib epubs anyway, so as long as you have a device that handles epubs, it works just fine.

the positive side with going with a pocketbook (5 or 6 inch) or a Hanlin rebrand (Also available in 5 or 6 inch) is that they support more formats than the Sony do currently.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
wmjoers

You think buying a BeBook mini (Hanlin V5) for 2 550 SEK would be a good deal?

/John

Last edited by wmjoers; 12-08-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Typo
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
You think buying a BeBook mini (Hanlin V5) for 2 550 SEK would be a good deal?

/John
Hmm, I thought that one sold for 199 euros on mybebook.com?

But other than that. I'm quite happy with my BeBook one, and the mini is basicly the same device with a smaller screen.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Do you feel you have to buy it in Sweden? You could save roughly 500 SEK by buying it at mybebook.com. Likewise, I would assume it would be cheaper to buy for example the Sony 300 at amazon.co.uk or amazon.de
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
wmjoers

No, don't need to buy it in Sweden. I probably will order an BeBook Mini from my bebook.com. To bad it doesn't include a case. But it might be purchased from elsewhere?

/John
Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
No, don't need to buy it in Sweden. I probably will order an BeBook Mini from my bebook.com. To bad it doesn't include a case. But it might be purchased from elsewhere?

/John
Yes, http://www.stylzworld.com/shop/ has covers for it I believe.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would prefer the Sony over the Bebook. I've had both a Hanlin V3 (the 6" Bebook) and a Sony 505. The Sony was, in my opinion, the better device. The Bebook could read more formats, but it also crashed more often and I had issues with fonts and font sizes. The Sony worked out better for me, a smoother experience overall. The software on the Bebook appeared more rough around the edges. However, for primarily reading library books it should probably work out fine - and you have option of reading (un-DRM'd) books in a larger number of formats than the Sony.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
wmjoers

*GHA* The Sony Reader Pocket Edition is better looking.. but I'm not sure where to buy it from or if it will work propely with our library services (provided by elib.se).

Is it possible to buy the Sony Reader Pocket Edition from somewhere closer to Sweden than the US? Also...when I looked at the software upgrade from Sony in the US it says it's for the US/Can market only?!?

I really want a real e-ink ebook reader because my old reader (a Palm) has got a really bad battery. But I want to be sure about getting a unit that suits both my reading needs and my esthetic needs :-)

What should I do? Go for the BeBook mini (hanlin v5) or the Sony Reader Pocket Edition. Or should I relax and just wait a couple of months? *smile*

Best Regards
/John
Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard

amazon.co.uk has it at about 170 GBP (well, they ship to Denmark - I assume they also ship to Sweden)

I think that amazon.de and amazon.fr also has it. I don't know who has the best price.

I've also seen it at libri.de, but I think they are more expensive than at amazon.co.uk.

I agree that Sony's ereaders look nicer, but Bebook aren't that bad either. It's more utilitarian/industrial design, sort of like IBM/Lenovo thinkpads.