Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
non-book file storage and other alternative Reader uses

Has anyone else been using their Reader for non-book files or other alternative uses? I wrote two articles for Teleread this week on using my Sony Reader to store recipes and to store lesson plans. I am curious if anyone else uses their Readers in alternative ways.

For the recipes, I have most of them on-line at Spark Recipes already since I track my eating from time to time (my food allergies make nutrition in certain areas a bit tricky so I self-check periodically to make sure I am on track). I just needed a way to easily browse them off-line so I can plan my shopping and cooking. I found a giant ebook too cumbersome as it would need reindexing every time I added something. Saving each recipe as an individual file and then plugging into a collection in Calibre worked nicely. More info in the article:

http://www.teleread.org/2009/09/15/m...r-books-alone/

As for my lesson plans for teaching, there were two main issues I had with paper-based usage:

1) The unit guides for the program I use are bulky, primarily because the first hundred-odd pages about the philosophy of the program etc. are repeated in each of them. The books are also heavy to carry around, especially since I need one for each grade level so often would need to carry around two at a time. And then there is the 'books are at school and Ficbot is at home and wants to do planning' issue...

2) Record-keeping is a pain because I have two classes doing the same play, so I was carrying around double the photocopies. On the Reader, I can just copy the unit guide and have one book for each class. The Reader will remember where I left off for each of them.

There was/is some ongoing work to get them all typed up and ready to go. But once I have the legwork done, my life will be so much easier. I can just bring the Reader to class with me and have everything I need...

Article:

http://www.teleread.org/2009/09/14/t...-my-classroom/

So, anybody else using their reader in alternative ways? I would love to hear about it...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
When I travel, I put on the Reader itineraries, reservation confirmation emails and maps.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
I put my DVD movie list on it. I am in the ever ongoing process of slowly replacing my considerable VHS library (close to 1000 movies) with DVD's and sometimes it is hard to remember if I already have a certain movie in DVD format or not. I take my reader with me every where I go so it was easier to put the list on the 505 rather than carry a notebook with me.
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I use my reader in my classroom for notes during lectures and for questions during review. I also keep curriculum guides on my 700 for use in planning. There is also the use of the 700 for note taking purposes.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
definitely i use it for other various purposes!! that goes to show how useful the reader is!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert