Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Sony and Adobe DE problems

Well, I've just taken the plunge and wish I hadn't bothered! Having upgraded my PRS-505 with the pdf addition I bought my first couple of ebooks from Books on Board - opting for the Adobe format.
My Adobe DE seemed to have authorised itself properly and it recognised the Sony when I connected it - so far, so good. However, I had the following issues:

My whole library showed up under the 'All items' tab but, having clicked on the PRS-505 tab, it would not display the whole library again.......ever! I have to close Adobe down and start again - completely unable to switch between the two.

I cannot disconnect the Sony while Adobe is open - if I click the 'Safely remove device' button on the bottom taskbar it says 'can't remove device at this time - try later'. The only way I can get out is to close Adobe down and then disconnect the Sony.

I cannot work out how to import/export books from elsewhere on my PC - Adobe seems to have a life of its own and picks and chooses what to display!

Does anyone know how to change the font of a book before you transfer it to the Sony? It comes out so small I need to put the Sony onto the largest setting - but then the formatting goes all wonky and you end up with 3 words a line!! Useless!

I've had a quick peek at the Adobe forum and it seems to be in meltdown, so at least I'm comforted with the thought that it's not just me!

I'm a new Sony owner and had just got my head round Calibre, which is fantastic! I really don't want to use Adobe so will try other formats. Will Mobi or Microsoft Reader work with Calibre? Which one do people recommend, please?

Thanks,

Chris
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Will Mobi or Microsoft Reader work with Calibre? Which one do people recommend, please?
Yes... calibre will convert both mobi and ms reader (lit) format to Sony's LRF format. However, you will need to remove DRM first if the books are protected. Search for convertLIT and mobeDeDRm software and threads.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert