Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
HTML to EPUB - Way to Make it Pretty?

I have some HTML books that are completely plain, no formatting.

I can live with them, though they are pretty hard to read since there's no paragraphs indents, etc.

Is it possible to do some custom CSS in calibre to clean things up and make them overall more readable? Or some other option? I've considered search and replace for example, to put in some more code, but any ideas would be great.

I've been using Calibre for a while, love it, but I'm still organizing my library and just getting into some of the more advanced stuff like conversion.

If there's an idiot's guide or anyone has done this before and knows how to set it up, I would appreciate any help at all that you can provide.
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
You should probably learn a bit about HTML (and CSS), and take a look at your source files. Prettify them and all your conversions will be better.

cap
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
You should probably learn a bit about HTML (and CSS), and take a look at your source files. Prettify them and all your conversions will be better.

cap
I was hoping for something a little more concrete. I'm pretty good with HTML myself and I've talked to two CSS masters and a programmer friend who's just way smarter than me and they didn't have any suggestions for exactly what to do for indents and such.
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
I tend to use OpenOffice. Load the html, save as odt, load odt, edit as a normal, non-web, document with all the formatting you could wish. And Calibre is good with odt. Mostly.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoddess View Post
I was hoping for something a little more concrete. I'm pretty good with HTML myself and I've talked to two CSS masters and a programmer friend who's just way smarter than me and they didn't have any suggestions for exactly what to do for indents and such.
Then take apart a hand-crafted epub book from the collection here on Mobileread, one that does what you would like to do, and check out their CSS and markup.

There are plenty that achieve a remarkable amount. Indenting, drop caps, stylized breaks, first word, first paragraph, lots of other effects.

For the best result, you're going to need to hand code.

cap

ps: or try Sigil, but wait for the 2.3 version this week that will deal with a code-view/book-view syncing bug.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Let's hope your HTML does have paragraphs. You could then use some CSS like this:
Code:
p {
    text-indent: 2em;
    margin-top: 4px;
    margin-bottom: 2px;
}
This sets the paragraph indent to 2em (twice the width of the letter M in the current font), 2 pixels spacing above and 2 pixels spacing below the paragraph. Normally you would only use one of these. The units can als be cm, mm, in, and a couple of others.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote