Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Device suggestion for remote area....

I work for a ministry that offers missionaries (and others) ebook material. I received the following question from a missionary in Papua New Guinea. I have experience with iPad, iPhone, and most Kindle devices. What would your recommendation be? This device would also need to handle PDF's well so I think larger screen would be warranted as I doubt if the missionary would want to get into conversions. Your input is most appreciated.

Quote:
Greetings from Papua New Guinea.
I plan on purchasing your 6.0 version of [edit].
What e book [device] has the best battery life and any other considerations I should make in purchasing an e book [reader] to be used in a remote area with a limited power supply.
Thanks.

Last edited by 1611mac; 12-31-2012 at 10:52 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Let's leave "handles PDFs well" out of it for the moment.

Get an eink reader with a light (Paperwhite, Glow, etc) and also get a solar charger.
Since the charges last so long, even a small solar charger would be a workable solution. The built in light precludes the need for finding yet another power source for lights for use during darkness.

But for PDFs, depending on what you actually need of it, no small eink device does an outstanding job. Any efficient LCD tablet would do, but the bigger the screen, the more power it needs, so the shorter the charge will last , and the more time and current it's likely to demand from a charger, making a small portable solar charger inadequate.

On the whole, if power availability is the primary concern, go with small, efficient eink, and settle for the one that handles PDF least badly for your particular needs.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 12-31-2012 at 11:26 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert