Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
crestfalleen
crestfalleen began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Getting books onto the iPad

Is there a way (besides syncing them through the computer) to get books in ibooks without going through the ibooks store? I'm very limited in my knowledge as I don't have one, my boss wanted me to find out. Thanks guys.
crestfalleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Nope, not for the standard iPad.

That new wifi sync program for Jailbroken iPads may do it though.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
no. but there are other reader apps to use .epub and .pdf files with.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
tmarks11
tmarks11 began at the beginning.

Device: Everun
Kindle app drops you into the amazon website. You buy a book there, it gets loaded directly onto the iPad and shows up in the kindle app.

So there obviously is a way to get books without using the app store or iBooks. Whether or not apple would allow anyone except amazon to circumvent the app store framework is a different question altogether.

I am guessing the answer would be NO!
tmarks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
You can get a program called Dropbox on both your PC and your iPad and then upload to your PC and download from your iPad but it only works with a few iPad apps right now. I am hoping that they add others because adding books to the iPad is a real pain for me.
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
Kindle app drops you into the amazon website. You buy a book there, it gets loaded directly onto the iPad and shows up in the kindle app.

So there obviously is a way to get books without using the app store or iBooks. Whether or not apple would allow anyone except amazon to circumvent the app store framework is a different question altogether.

I am guessing the answer would be NO!
That's not circumventing the AppStore, it's merely a way to get content.
Other existing example where apple doesn't care where you get your content: zinio, comic apps, PDF apps...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

the sale of books at this point is a thimble of profit in apple's giant bucket o' cash. they have no interest in blocking other sources..
Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post

So there obviously is a way to get books without using the app store or iBooks.
Sure. But he mentioned INTO iBooks.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

the thing is ibooks doesnt just store a bunch of .epub files in a directory, there's another thread where i posted a response. ibooks stores book files in a whole directory structure index in a plist. it might be a simple injection into the plist to add a book file or there might also be a sqlite database, i didn't look that far. plus there might be some data stored back in the computer you sync with, checksums, etc. can't imagine the developer community is going to go mucking around much with apple's offical applications. wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 3rd party way to inject books into ibooks. far simpler to use an application like readMe which has alternative ways of sideloading.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
kjk

How many apps are taking advantage of the built in drag and drop File Sharing for the iPad? All I see in my own apps are Stanza and GoodReader.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
How many apps are taking advantage of the built in drag and drop File Sharing for the iPad? All I see in my own apps are Stanza and GoodReader.
Doesn't seem like a lot.

Think all my g/f has that show up are Goodreader and Pages.

I think scott mentioned that they were adding a central file location for documents with the OS update (or another future update) so hopefully that will help.

It's a big nuisance to me--just too much hassle to get files on the iPad and accessible to all apps that use that file type currently.

So currently my biggest deal breaker is not just having an open file system to load files and open in any app.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books

few for now, more every day. it was something that had basic support added in to 3.2 of the OS and more developed support in 4.0. I read something that lead me to believe apps will be able to share documents in 4.0 as well, so upload a PDF once and view it in any program that registers itself capable of viewing PDF files.

interesting, but both apple and Microsoft have discussed developing filesystems that did away with the traditional folder and file management that we use today. both are database based and just store your data with documents registering to act/edit on metatypes of data (word processing document, spreadsheet, graphics image). apple dropped it because it wasn't ready yet and so did Microsoft from longhorn/vista. the iPhone/iPad still uses unix filesystems under it all but apple's presentation to apps and the user are more along these lines. "don't worry about sticking things in folders, just launch your word processor and have it open a document." you certainly see this mentality with the iWorks apps. my only complaint is that there is going to have to be some better way for scrolling through a huge list, even left-to-right swipes to find one document out of the 20 or so I loaded into Numbers is a bit of a pain. so we still need some sort of folder metaphor. guess we wait and see where apple goes with all of this.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, I hope that flounders.

The traditional folder and file management systems are 100% fine.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Of the ones I use, Bookman, Goodreader, Cloudreaders and ComicZeal all do.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
interesting, but both apple and Microsoft have discussed developing filesystems that did away with the traditional folder and file management that we use today. both are database based and just store your data with documents registering to act/edit on metatypes of data (word processing document, spreadsheet, graphics image). apple dropped it because it wasn't ready yet and so did Microsoft from longhorn/vista. the iPhone/iPad still uses unix filesystems under it all but apple's presentation to apps and the user are more along these lines. "don't worry about sticking things in folders, just launch your word processor and have it open a document." you certainly see this mentality with the iWorks apps. my only complaint is that there is going to have to be some better way for scrolling through a huge list, even left-to-right swipes to find one document out of the 20 or so I loaded into Numbers is a bit of a pain. so we still need some sort of folder metaphor. guess we wait and see where apple goes with all of this.
And the two apps I use most, ComicZeal and GoodReader have both developed their own folder-like structure to deal with this issue.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ibooks, sync