Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #46
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
But a great gesture from Books On Board to now offer the e-book practically for free.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #47
nexist
nexist began at the beginning.

Device: zire 72
IT's a non-issue. If I've been waiting for a book, odds are I've been waiting months. Even on the rare occasions I have bothered to pre-order a book, I didn't go to get it on release day, but actually (it turns out) a couple of days later. I have no problems with digital downloads, of any flavor, being made available after the physical media.
nexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #48
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Yes, it is great, but I wish there were other formats. I use a Sony and can't read DRM-ed mobipocket files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
But a great gesture from Books On Board to now offer the e-book practically for free.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #49
BooksOnBoard
BooksOnBoard began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Yes, it is great, but I wish there were other formats. I use a Sony and can't read DRM-ed mobipocket files.
We have received Breaking Dawn in ePub for the Sony PRS-505 (link to ePub Breaking Dawn eBook). Hope that helps!
BooksOnBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 AM   #50
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Thank you -- that does help!! I'm going to pre-order it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksOnBoard View Post
We have received Breaking Dawn in ePub for the Sony PRS-505 (link to ePub Breaking Dawn eBook). Hope that helps!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #51
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i don't read pirated books, but since i first started buying and downloading ebooks 7 or 8 weeks ago, the only pirated ones i ran across on google are scanned from paper books. and it's easy to know that because none of them have ever been offered in any ebook format.

maybe publishers should stop listening to their fears and start looking at the facts. they'd make more money and we'd all be happier.

and btw, i agree that Elsi:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
So, for eBooks, I want the publishers to fill in the earlier volumes in a series, letting me then read from beginning to end. And, I want to know when to expect the next book in the series to be available.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #52
nexist

Scanned images joined into a PDF totally miss the benefit (in my mid) of ebooks, that is its stretchability. This may not be such a big issue with fiction, but I read a lot of non-fiction as well.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #53
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Technically, you can.

Legally, depends where you live.

Morally, only you can decide.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #54
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
So far the Amazon reviews are more negative than positive. I've downloaded the first 3 books and will get the 4th in the morning. I haven't read any of them yet but hope to start in a couple of days.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #55
nexist

What did you expect from Anita Blake aimed at 13 year olds?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #56
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexist View Post
What did you expect from Anita Blake aimed at 13 year olds?
I'm hoping it's more Buffy than (ardeur) Anita.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #57
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm hoping it's more Buffy than (ardeur) Anita.
It pretty much has to be, given the intended market.

I attended a talk a while back given by literary agent Donald Maass. Don has done a number of things, including write YA romance under a pseudonym. He described one YA romance title he worked on where there was a firm specification that not only could the characters not have sex -- there could be no opportunity for them to have sex. This complicated the book he was writing, because the teenage male lead was a TV star with his own loft...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #58
nexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
That is sort of my point. Given the puritanical mores of this rather large market, what do you get when you take vampires/werewolves and rip out the eroticism & violence (arguably the same thing)?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #59
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

I attended a talk a while back given by literary agent Donald Maass. Don has done a number of things, including write YA romance under a pseudonym. He described one YA romance title he worked on where there was a firm specification that not only could the characters not have sex -- there could be no opportunity for them to have sex. This complicated the book he was writing, because the teenage male lead was a TV star with his own loft...
______
Dennis
Good point! But even Buffy "got busy" eventually.

If the TV star had his own loft, was the character dating an under 18 year old girl in the book?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #60
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexist View Post
That is sort of my point. Given the puritanical mores of this rather large market, what do you get when you take vampires/werewolves and rip out the eroticism & violence (arguably the same thing)?
I think they largely are the same thing, so I agree.

But I suspect the intended reader isn't puritanical: it's the reader's parents who will have hissy fits.

I would love to know what, exactly, they are afraid will happen if their innocent darling does read a sex scene in a book. (My guess is "ask questions Mom and Dad aren't comfortable answering.")
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booksonboard, cybook, duck!, publishing, stephenie meyer, twilight