Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I just got an iPhone and one of the things I really like about it is the ability to now read books on it. I prefer my Sony for reading but it is too big to carry everywhere. But I've always got my cell phone handy and, now, will always have a book handy to read should I need it.
I understand the reasoning behind the phone/music/internet/reader thing. My daughter and her husband are so into this. But the only time I use my cell phone is to call her or the husband. And I still haven't gotten into the Itunes market. I am just constantly amazed at the swiftness of technology advancements. My laptop and Kindle are, to me, the neatest things (material) on the planet......and its time for a new laptop.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #32
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
As much as I hate the whole "IPhone" idea, I"m loving that there were so many bookreaders out there......it can only mean a wider selection of books for us Kindle users as publishers realize that yes, Virginia, there really IS a need for e-book formats! And maybe it will change the minds of those authors who refuse to allow their books to be formatted.
I totally agree, And stop calling me Virginia!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I totally agree, And stop calling me Virginia!

JJ
Virgie? Jinny?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I just got an iPhone and one of the things I really like about it is the ability to now read books on it. I prefer my Sony for reading but it is too big to carry everywhere. But I've always got my cell phone handy and, now, will always have a book handy to read should I need it.
So, will you be double buying books? eReader books can not be read on the Sony. Or, will you be removing DRM and putting them on your Sony too?

Of course I am not baiting you to admit you will be breaking the DCMA... just more of a rhetorical question.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #35
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it's not just a phone, Jon - it's a status symbol. Having an iPhone makes you irresistably attractive to members of the opposite sex!
No it doesn´t ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #36
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Talking Green with envy

I'm dying to know how eReader works on the iPhone/iTouch. Do you dial manually into the Fictionwise site? or eReader.com? Or is dialing automated? Does Micropay work on Apple handhelds? How about downloading DRMed books? How do you select the books you want to buy, or do you buy them with your computer and then download to the iPhone? Can you connect the iPhone/iTouch to your PC and move books to it that way? What's reading like?

Has anyone found a review of eReader on the iPhone yet?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I'm dying to know how eReader works on the iPhone/iTouch. Do you dial manually into the Fictionwise site? or eReader.com? Or is dialing automated? Does Micropay work on Apple handhelds? How about downloading DRMed books? How do you select the books you want to buy, or do you buy them with your computer and then download to the iPhone? Can you connect the iPhone/iTouch to your PC and move books to it that way? What's reading like?

Has anyone found a review of eReader on the iPhone yet?
There's no dialing... it works over the internet/data connection... on the iPhone that could be the cell network or WiFi... on the iPod touch it is only WiFi.

You use the Safari web browser on the device to log into the eReader/Fictionwise store to buy the book you want. Once you buy it then it will show up in your bookshelf in the eReader app for download.

The current version doesn't allow you to move books/files from your PC to the device. But, that is supposed to come in a future version of the eReader app. You will need to run some app on your PC that the device connects to via WiFi to grab files. (I expect based on the iPod/iPhone API not giving apps access to local storage directly.)

BOb
Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #38
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The current version doesn't allow you to move books/files from your PC to the device. But, that is supposed to come in a future version of the eReader app. You will need to run some app on your PC that the device connects to via WiFi to grab files. (I expect based on the iPod/iPhone API not giving apps access to local storage directly.)
I suspect it will be something along those lines. I picked up SplashID over the weekend, and it syncs over a network connection if both the app on the phone and the desktop are running at the same time.

In addition to sandboxing the local storage, it also looks like developers can't hook into a cable'd sync solution through the dock. I would not be surprised if Apple came up with some kind of 'conduit' scheme similar to what Palm uses, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #39
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, will you be double buying books? eReader books can not be read on the Sony. Or, will you be removing DRM and putting them on your Sony too?

Of course I am not baiting you to admit you will be breaking the DCMA... just more of a rhetorical question.

BOb
Actually, there's a very respectable body of legal reasoning that says that removing DRM for personal use DOES NOT violate the DMCA. Writing or distributing the software that does the DRM-removal violates the DMCA. Telling someone else where to get such software or how to use it probably violates the DMCA. But simply using it (for personal use ONLY) does not violate the DMCA. Probably. (The law's not clear, and it hasn't yet been tested in court. So any statement of legality or illegality is only probable.)

Xenophon
The above is not legal advice. It's based on discussion with a variety of IP lawyers in a graduate seminar on digital copyright issues. Your mileage may vary.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #40
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I did not know that. I suppose that at a glance those clever females can tell the difference between an iPhone and an iPod Touch too.
....otherwise I could hold my iPod touch to my ear and have loud conversations with myself.
Barcey: I was in California a while back and there were two females at the next table in an outdoor cafe who it seemed together could not name more than 5 states in the US*; but, they could identify every pair of shoes that came along by designer, model, and year. They did the same for the clothing they wore and the cars that went by. Can they tell an iPhone from an iPod Touch? Every day of the week.

-----
* = They liked the eleven o'clock news better than the six o'clock news because eleven is twice as much as six and therefore you get twice as much news.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
* = They liked the eleven o'clock news better than the six o'clock news because eleven is twice as much as six and therefore you get twice as much news.
that's a joke right ? please tell me that's a joke.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #42
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that's a joke right ? please tell me that's a joke.
If it's not then I have been right all along 2+2 does equal November!
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Can you say "bandwidth limitations"?

I don't know how fat a pipe they connect to, but it obviously isn't fat enough.
______
Dennis
You mean the internets aren't a bunch of dump trucks?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
You mean the internets aren't a bunch of dump trucks?
You know, everyone makes fun of Sen. Stevens for those remarks. But, metaphorically he is pretty correct about it.

I'm pretty sure he knows it is not literally tubes!

BOb
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #45
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
"an Internet [sic] was sent by my staff" - Sen. Stevens in the same anti-net neutrality "dump trucks verses tubes" speech.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote