Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Nook STR or PRS T1 - best ereader for rooting

Hi,

The Nook STR and PRS T1 are both Android based, and both are capable of being rooted. Knowing nothing about rooting, I'm wondering if anyone can give feedback about how capable the respective rooted ereaders are. They both can't be the same in terms of having the same Android experience, apps, etc. right? Which device's rooting package is better? I'm interesting in getting an ereader to run Android, mostly for reading but also to have the capability to run certain apps (for example, I saw someone running a periodic table app on Kindle, but I'm sure that app is also available on Android).
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I don't own a sony so can not give an opinion on that. But rooting nook touch is very easy (at least for me but I am tech enthuast so it might not be so for others).

I just followed the instructions from here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1343143

and that was it. If you use the image from the above link it will install google market and amazon android market for you. After that you can download all compatible apps like coolreader( the best non drm reader for Android)
I read somewhere that coolreader supports nook touch better with the ability for full page refresh or partial page refresh settings compared to sony but as its updated regularly that might have changed and now might have better support for sony as well.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
i had this exact dilemma and i decided to go with the sony t1 because it had an audio jack (you can listen to audiobooks, pandora, etc) and hardware home + back button (from pics i saw it didn't look like the nook had a one or the other). what attracted me the most, however, was the sony's stock internet browser which works amazing on it's eink screen compared to opera on the nook.

the biggest con is that the sony reader fully refreshes the screen (blinks black) when scrolling unless you install a app on the sony board that allows you to toggle it to partial refresh (like what the nook has). i find myself having to toggle it very often which gets annoying but i try to adapt. just scrolling through menus would be hell without the partial refresh.

basically if the android apps you are looking to get the most miles out of requires lot's of scrolling and zooming, the sony might not be the better choice. for instance, difficult to use apps like cool reader, officesuite (to view word docs), which the nook does a better job at rendering. the sony stock apps are amazing enough though, at least for me, to outweigh it's limitations as a rooted android device.

check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYC2GBhWJAs
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Another advantage of T1 is that it has all the required hardware buttons for Android apps so you don't need run a 'software' button overlay on your screen.
log is offline   Reply With Quote