Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Do you start on a trilogy knowing the last book is not out!

How do you relate to reading books that comes in a trilogy, do you wait for all the books to be published or do you start right away?

I tend to want to wait before all books is out and then start to read.

I guess this is not how the author would want it, but for me this is what works best.
This is especially true if the first book doesn't give any form of closure and you know it's a long time before the next one will be out.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I get them as and when they came out, rather than all together.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Yes, I have, however, don't think I will do that again since I've gotten a bad taste for unfinished or delayed trilogies. Dean Koontz took about 4 years to get his third Frankenstein book out after his second. I stopped reading him for that entire period. Some younger readers I know are really fed up with Christopher Paloini because it's been years since his fourth (and maybe fifth) book was promised but never came. When authors do that, I move on and am not likely to go back to them as before.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I have, and for the most part, I'm not disappointed by long delays. However, GRRM comes to mind. lol I haven't started reading A Feast for Crows yet because a friend told me the ending is wholly unsatisfying. She suggested I wait until A Dance with Dragons is out before starting AFFC. That was 3 years ago, and there's no word on when ADWD will be done.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
And the winner of World's Worst Unfinished Series goes to... George RR Martin, for A Song of Ice and Fire. That alone swore me off buying unfinished trilogies, as well as George.

(OOPS!) Seems like kcmay beat me to the post!
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I'm patient. I just go reading someting else.

guess the "worse" was when reading eragon book 3, thinking it was the final book, to see the "to be continued" words. I had missed the info about the 3 book becoming 4.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
does he beat Jean Auel?

Plains of Passage - 1990
Shelters of Stone - 2002
Painted Caves - 2011

and now she's hinting that she might have "more to say." Good Grief. And the Cubs might win the World Series too but I won't be holding my breath in hope, bless her heart.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Surely the worst is Melanie Rawn's Exiles Series

Books one and two 1994 and 1997

Still no sign of book 3 'The Captal's Tower
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
There is some benefit to waiting for the end of the trilogy. Some publishers will give a discount on the box set of the whole trilogy.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
If there is only one book left, I usualy wait; if it is a new trilogy, I buy it.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1944 View Post
Surely the worst is Melanie Rawn's Exiles Series

Books one and two 1994 and 1997

Still no sign of book 3 'The Captal's Tower
Think about it for a second. How could the worst possibly be one from as late as the 90s?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Gene W0lfe - The Soldier series
Soldier of the Mist (1986)
Soldier of Arete (1989)
Soldier of Sidon (2006)
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I start them when I find them, even if they're not finished, and then I hate myself for doing it. So I console myself by starting another series. Often unfinished. No, that doesn't make any sense to me either. On the plus side, my reading speed is above average, so if it takes 10 years for the next book to appear, I can re-read the previous ones quite quickly in the event I forgot what they were like.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I used to gobble up the various books of a series as they were published, but I don't anymore. Partly because I absolutely HATE cliffhangers -- it's the most overused marketing technique that requires the least amount of literary talent to employ -- and partly because I no longer enjoy long, sprawling, never ending series in the speculative genre. "THE SERIES" has become a crutch for readers, authors and publishers alike. I like a Beginning, a Middle, and an End to take place between two "covers"... then I like to move on to something new. Unfortunately, most readers and authors in my favorite genre don't share my views.

Stand-alone seems to be a curse word in the SciFi/Fantasy genre anymore. Thank god for the likes of Guy Gavriel Kay, Tim Powers, Michael Stackpole, Dan Simmons (later works), Charles de Lint and the like!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
does he beat Jean Auel?

Plains of Passage - 1990
Shelters of Stone - 2002
Painted Caves - 2011

and now she's hinting that she might have "more to say." Good Grief. And the Cubs might win the World Series too but I won't be holding my breath in hope, bless her heart.
Auel is no kid. She really needs to wrap it up before she ups and dies as others have done.

What really bites my ample asset (besides tall dogs) are authors who promise a sequel, then die before delivering, especially if they milk the time between books. At least Michael Jordon's Wheel of Time series is being finished by a ghost writer (although he and Jordon's widow are still milking the cash cow). Louis L'Amour promised a sequel, and hinted at a third book, to follow The Walking Drum, wrote several other books after that, then up and died before delivering on his promise. J. R. R. Tolkien barely scratched the surface of his Middle Earth stories before he died (granted, it was a rather massive undertaking). At least his son, Christopher, has done a surprisingly good job of editing the unfinished books and fleshing out others based on his father's outlines and notes.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote