Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Khelbiros
Khelbiros is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin v5, Stanza
Hanlin v5 Newbie Questions

I'm still playing with my Hanlin v5 after getting it the other day. I've got a couple of questions.

a) Do I need to turn it off when I'm not using it, or can I just leave on the last page I had open? What is better for the battery?

b) I've got a Powerbook with OS X 10.4. When I connect the Hanlin to the computer via the USB stick, it appears as a mounted drive when I click the OK button on the Hanlin. So far so good. But when I try and disconnect the Hanlin through the OS, it immediately remounts itself. Even clicking extra quickly to eject it doesn't do any good as soon as I tell the software to disconnect it, it reconnects. I have to pull the USB cord out manually. When I do this, I get a warning that my Hanlin could be damaged because I didn't dismount the drive properly. Any ideas?

Last edited by Khelbiros; 09-04-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: forgot a question
Khelbiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is typically no need to turn off Hanlin's when they are not being used. The battery will still last for weeks. You can lock the keyboard if you need to.

I typically exit the ebook, back to the file menu, to ensure that the last read location is saved. I'm not sure this is necessary though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelbiros View Post
I'm still playing with my Hanlin v5 after getting it the other day. I've got a couple of questions.

a) Do I need to turn it off when I'm not using it, or can I just leave on the last page I had open? What is better for the battery?
I leave mine turned on all the time, since sleep power consumption is very low. THe way that I use mine I think that I get longer battery run time that way, since otherwise I would be turning it on and off multiple times during the day. If you only turn on once a day the battery might last a little longer by turning it off. I guess what I am trying to say is that usage patterns probably make a difference in which gives the longest battery charge life. The boot up has the processor running at full speed for quite a bit of time, and that does load the battery heavily then. I have mine on for weeks at a time without charging the battery.

Sorry, but I do know anything about your Mac question.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I've got a Powerbook with OS X 10.4. When I connect the Hanlin to the computer via the USB stick, it appears as a mounted drive when I click the OK button on the Hanlin. So far so good. But when I try and disconnect the Hanlin through the OS, it immediately remounts itself. Even clicking extra quickly to eject it doesn't do any good as soon as I tell the software to disconnect it, it reconnects. I have to pull the USB cord out manually. When I do this, I get a warning that my Hanlin could be damaged because I didn't dismount the drive properly. Any ideas?
When the indicator light is not flashing,right-click the "Removable disk"icon on your computar,then select "Eject" from the menu,only then it's safe to disconnect the USB cable.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Khelbiros
Khelbiros is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin v5, Stanza
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen View Post
When the indicator light is not flashing,right-click the "Removable disk"icon on your computar,then select "Eject" from the menu,only then it's safe to disconnect the USB cable.
Hi Allen,

My main problem is that I'm on a Mac (OS X 10.4), not Windows. To eject a mounted drive, like a USB stick, normally I just click the eject arrow where it appears and I can remove it. With the Hanlin connected, when I click on the Finder window to eject it, it quickly remounts itself again before I can pull the cord. Any ideas?
Khelbiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi Allen,

My main problem is that I'm on a Mac (OS X 10.4), not Windows. To eject a mounted drive, like a USB stick, normally I just click the eject arrow where it appears and I can remove it. With the Hanlin connected, when I click on the Finder window to eject it, it quickly remounts itself again before I can pull the cord. Any ideas?
Hi,Khelbiros
After you click on the finder window to eject,you can pull out USB cable,it's OK. Don't care of remounting.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote