Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Song of Insects: Cover

This is a very early attempt at a cover for the novel I hope to be uploading to Mobile read in the coming month. This was created in the Gimp while I wait for my new Mac to arrive and can use Photoshop again. The fonts aren't great and Gimp just doesn't work how I want it to, but you'll get the idea. Comments gratefully welcomed.

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i like it ! very nice ! the use of the treble clef as the wings is very elegant and clever. it's a very classy cover ; it looks like a cover of a good litterary book.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Looks good to me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I likee.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I really like it. It looks alot better than most of the ebooks I've seen on mobipocket.

Are you self taught, or do you have experience with graphic design?
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Nice!

I use gimp all the time (on my mac) since it's free and photoshop isn't. If you have any questions about how to do something feel free to ask me. Also, check here: http://docs.gimp.org/en/

If you'd like a suggestion on your cover (it is very nice, this is just a suggestion) I would mirror-image one of the trebble clefs to make the whole thing a tad more symmetric. It would still give the musical flavor. I would probably first try flipping the one on the left so that the bottom of the stem doesn't cover up the insect. If one of them is in a layer by itself, use (http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-flip-horizontal.html)

HTH.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Nice!

I use gimp all the time (on my mac) since it's free and photoshop isn't. If you have any questions about how to do something feel free to ask me. Also, check here: http://docs.gimp.org/en/

If you'd like a suggestion on your cover (it is very nice, this is just a suggestion) I would mirror-image one of the trebble clefs to make the whole thing a tad more symmetric. It would still give the musical flavor. I would probably first try flipping the one on the left so that the bottom of the stem doesn't cover up the insect. If one of them is in a layer by itself, use (http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-flip-horizontal.html)

HTH.
Thanks for the advice. And you couldn't be more right on the symmetry. Whatever I tried in the Gimp to get that right, it just wouldn't come out correctly, now I know how. Shows you what ten years of working with Photoshop will do to you, I've just become fluent with that interface and it's awkward to use anything else. Seeing as I paid out for CS3 on the Mac, I'll probably go back to it today when my new Mac arrives. Saying that, the Gimp has come along in strides and bounds over the years and you can't beat free!

As to the other question. I'm hopeless at drawing in every sense of the word, but I did attain a qualification as a production designer in my distant past (thanks in part to the magic of Photoshop). That's what I love about the tools we have at hand now, with photoshop or the gimp, a few ideas and some public domain images anybody can be a designer.

Going further, I'm thinking of replacing the insect body with more musical notation. I'll post updates as and when they're complete.

Thanks for the feedback everyone
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I love that cover. It makes me think it's a literary thriller.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Very cool!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
An innovative cover, simple design - and whilst I did notice the lack of symmetry - it does still work.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

So here's revision 2 after I got back on the Mac, there's still something missing (I think maybe the Font was a wrong choice).

Old 02-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I like the colors on this much better
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned

And by way of keeping it all in the same thread. This is the cover of the Urban Fantasy (sort of) Novel I'm working on at the moment.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
And by way of keeping it all in the same thread. This is the cover of the Urban Fantasy (sort of) Novel I'm working on at the moment.

That cover makes me want to buy that book
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That cover makes me want to buy that book

It'll be free, just like everything I plan on releasing