Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
speedyg
speedyg began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab S
Moon+ reader - skips multiple pages

I'm trying out Moon+ reader (non-pro) before buying the pro version and absolutely love most aspects of the software, especially the customization options. Unfortunately I'm having a problem with page skips that I can't seem to figure out.

The software seems to behave randomly when I turn a page. Sometimes it jumps two or three pages when I touch the screen once. Occasionally it jumps many pages and into to the next chapter. I've gone through the configuration and don't see any commands that I could be mistakenly executing which would cause this.

I'm running the software on a Galaxy Tab S 10.5" running 4.4.4. I've tried three other ebook readers and they don't exhibit this behavior.

Anyone else run across this problem?
speedyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Does it only do this on the one book, or on all of them.

If peculiar to the one book, has the epub you are reading been converted from azw3 or mobi? If so, the problem is probably the table of contents, which for some reason Moon Reader seems to use to progress in normal reading. The latest version of Calibre has been modified to fix this problem, but you need to delete the book, import the .axw3 file and convert again.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
speedyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Does it only do this on the one book, or on all of them.

If peculiar to the one book, has the epub you are reading been converted from azw3 or mobi? If so, the problem is probably the table of contents, which for some reason Moon Reader seems to use to progress in normal reading. The latest version of Calibre has been modified to fix this problem, but you need to delete the book, import the .axw3 file and convert again.
Thanks for the response. It does it on all books I've tried. They are are native epub books downloaded into Calibre and then transferred to my tablet. I'm running the latest version of Calibre.

Upon further examination the worst of the problem seems to be related to the auto screen rotation feature. When I am handling the tablet, or just put it down and the screen rotates between portrait and landscape modes. It sometimes jumps dozens of pages. It does also happen with simple page turns but it isn't often. I use the screen rotation feature regularly so I don't want to turn it off.

Too bad there isn't tech support available for this version so there's no easy way to report the problem to the developer.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I haven't come across this problem before or seen it reported on these forums. It sounds like the problem may be peculiar to your hardware rather than Moon, or perhaps the combination of the two. Have you tried other Android reading software? I believe Aldiko and Mantano are good. There is also an Android version of KOReader, though I'm not sure if this is ready for Prime Time on all devices.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
speedyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I haven't come across this problem before or seen it reported on these forums. It sounds like the problem may be peculiar to your hardware rather than Moon, or perhaps the combination of the two. Have you tried other Android reading software? I believe Aldiko and Mantano are good. There is also an Android version of KOReader, though I'm not sure if this is ready for Prime Time on all devices.
I've tried several other readers and not had this problem with any of them. Alkido was OK but lacked various customization options. Moon+ lets me set it up exactly the way I like it so I'm sorry to have to give it up.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give Mantano a try next.
Advert
Old 06-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
speedyg

It turns out the Moon+ Reader page jump problem isn't a one off. Multiple people have reported random page jumps in the Google Play app reviews and it does consistently seem to have something to do with page rotation.

I've been trying out multiple reader apps and found Cool Reader is even better than Moon+. It's open source, almost ridiculously configurable and very stable. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:41 AM   #7
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
I've never seen this behaviour, and I'm using it on a tabpro

I would recommend locking the screen orientation, see if that fixes it
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I haven't had this problem on any of my devices. If it is something to do with screen orientation, Moon+ has settings for orientation you could try before changing orientation for everything.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote