Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
rooster3888
rooster3888 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Kindle
Finally broke my PRS-500 - Do I stick with Sony or switch?

A couple of weeks ago I finally did some real damage to my PRS-500. I've had that thing since 2006. Bought it when I was in the military, so it has been all over the world with me including in some pretty rough places, and I have knocked the heck out of it, and it has never had any issues. It's somewhat ironic that I finally broke it it by stepping on it on my carpeted bedroom floor (even then, it still works... I just damaged about an inch of the lower left portion of the screen). In any event, I've been very happy with the durability and quality of the Sony. It's been a real workhorse. But now I need to get a new reader. Probably owing more to media hype, I was pretty positive that I would get a Kindle or Nook and that Sony had little to offer, but after reading around, it does sound like they still have some very high quality readers. (In the meantime, I've been reading on my iPhone which I never thought in a million years I would like... but it actually isn't half bad, but I still want an eInk reader.)

I've played with all 3 of them in the store and still can't make up my mind.

On the Kindle: I didn't much care for the Kindle's aesthetic... I know it's meant to be really light, but it felt cheap rather than "svelte," like I could snap it in half in my bare hands. But I did like its fast page turns (the Sony seems slower than the Kindle and Nook in that regard). And I like the international support (since I travel a decent amount), and that is syncs easily with the books on my iPhone.

On the Nook: Wasn't bad overall. Like the rubber backing and that it is a bit heavier. Felt more substantial than the Kindle. I liked the color touch screen in principle, but less so in practice... might just need to get used to it. Liked the integration with B&N since we live very near one and visit often. Overall it is nice but feels a bit less "polished" than either the Sony or Kindle.

On the Sony: I still like the aluminum outer shell. It feels like the toughest of the bunch (which is was my experience with my PRS-500). I definitely liked the touch screen. I didn't get to play with the integrated Sony bookstore, so I am curious about the shopping experience. I should get the $75 credit for trading in my PRS-500, but the Sony is still awfully pricey. Sony also seems to do less with software updates and the like.

So I have a few questions that maybe folks on this forum could help out with:
- Is the extra price for the PRS-950 over the Kindle and Nook worth it? If so, why? (I am only interested in the 950 since the others don't have wireless). I have a definite "soft spot" for the Sony, but the price is putting me off.
- Any durability issues w/ the Nook or Kindle (or new Sonys for that matter)? I don't think this reader well get quite as roughed up as my last one, but I do want something that will last a while.

Any other suggestions / comments about the three? I've read quite a bit on them, including on this forum, but wanted to get a couple direct opinions. Thanks!
rooster3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You got a lot of good use out of your 500. If the new Sony reader lasts you just as long, it's a fair price. I personally hate learning new UIs so I tend to settle into a system and stick with it. Still on Windows XP over here.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Personally, I love Sony's build quality. I've never had a problem with the reader's software, but the PC library software used to be buggy. I haven't had an problems with it since they updated it last year.

My only issue with any of the Sony's was last year's 600 & 900. The touchscreen coating was a mis-step for Sony. Everything else about the reader I loved. I just did the trade in of my broke screened PRS 505 and got a shiny new prs 650. Personally, I think it's their best reader yet. The pages are crisp, page turns are faster than ever, the software is easy to use and of course, the aluminum body makes it feel solid and well built. Wifi isn't important to me, so I haven't taken that into consideration. If I had one wish it would be to have built in front lighting. I'm hoping that a prs-750 is in the works.

I would advise you to get the reader that you really want. You'll enjoy it more if you don't look at it and wish it were another. Once you divide the price by 4 years, it may seem worth it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you travel a lot I think you will find that you will enjoy having an international reader. I like being able to buy books where I want, when I want without a computer. The Kindle allows you to do this easily.

On the other hand, your books are already in EPub format. The 950 has the new Pearl Screen, the touchscreen you are probably use to, and 3G. It is probably your best bet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm very pleased with my new Sony PRS650 (though it's the only one I've used outside of a store test).

I specifically avoided getting anything bigger than 6" because you can read a narrow column faster than a wide one. And after reading for a while with the 6", I'm wondering if a 5" model wouldn't have been even better for the same reason. Though the 6" screen is a good compromise for the occasional obnoxious PDF.

The Nook weighs a ton and the Kindle has limited format support. The Sony weighs less than 8oz. and supports a wide range of formats.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Why mess with success? Stick with the Sony, it still has the same great build quality that took your books with you around the world. It's been updated with a better screen, and loading your books back on would be a snap.

The solid feel of the Sony is one of the reasons why I got my PRS-600 in January. I hope mine lasts as long as yours did.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Try Kobo ! they are sturdy and suitable for difficult climate and handling .
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
rooster3888
rooster3888 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Why mess with success? Stick with the Sony, it still has the same great build quality that took your books with you around the world. It's been updated with a better screen, and loading your books back on would be a snap.

The solid feel of the Sony is one of the reasons why I got my PRS-600 in January. I hope mine lasts as long as yours did.
Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and send my PRS 500 in for the $75 credit. In the end, if it lasts as long as my 500, the incremental cost difference is pretty small... I like the Amazon book store, and its international capabilities, but I really like the reliability of Sony's reader, its touch screen, and that it uses ePub. I ruled out the Nook since it has an older screen. Its screen isn't terrible, but I like the e Ink pearl.

It chaps me a little that Sony didn't even include wireless on the PRS-650. I would snap it up in a second if it just had wireless (I'm not that concerned w/ 3G). But as it is, I'll grab the PRS-950.

I'm also glad that Sony is coming out w/ an iPhone app. That will make my books portable in times when I don't have my reader with me. Outstanding.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
rooster3888 is offline   Reply With Quote